Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Soldato
OP
Sorry Paul, I thought you meant an external usb dvd drive! But yeah you can also definately use a usb stick, I think a few of the users on here did it that way and should be able to help.

It is not as small as the nc10 but it is slim, quite light and I would definately call it portable.

Soldato
OP
Also with it being a business laptop, the build quality really is excellent! It feels solid and I find the keyboard a very good size and great to use.

I've owned it for quite awhile now and there is still no alternative that I would choose over this, normally after afew weeks/months of owning something you always find a better deal - I still think this is the best deal out there for a 13.3" machine.

Pros:

Build Quality
Keyboard
Screen
Spec
Ease of Upgrade
Ease of Overclocking
Battery Life
Size
Weight

Cons:

Speakers
Lack of HDMI

Start saving for a SSD mate :D

Soldato
OP
and fingerprint driver gets half way and hangs :(

Mine did too, dont worry about it though. When it hangs leave it for afew mins and just restart, the drivers are installed when you check in device manager and it wont bother you again. I have zero intention of actually using the fingerprint reader.

Anyone got a sleeve for their 8371? I wondered if a 13" Macbook sleeve would fit?

I ordered a sleeve from the bay for around £7, it was for a 13" macbook and it fits but its a very tight squeeze. The laptop only fits in one way, battery on the outward side and because the case is abit elasticy, it stretches and you can just about manoevre the zip around the 2 corners of the laptop which are sticking out.

Those asking about Win 7 WEI scores:

28sngo0.jpg

...or thereabouts once you OC the CPU, GPU and fit a SSD. :) For instructions please read through the full thread but I will add all the details to the first page tomorrow.

Soldato
OP
Thats a shame hope you get it sorted, I thought the drives were meant to be 7200RPM?

Some websites say 5400rpm some say 7200rpm. Then again when I first got this, the website I ordered from said No webcam, No Bluetooth and No fingerprint reader, but I researched elsewhere and was sure they would be present and they were.

The drives in this laptop are WD Scorpio Blue if memory serves me correct, and they are rated at 5400rpm although for the short time I had mine in, it did seem very decent and I thought it was 7200rpm myself until I took it out.

Soldato
OP
but how do you use (activate) the finger print to work, i cant find it anywhere?

You need to check in the other thread titled '13.3" laptop please' which was the original one when I first came across this laptop. I can't remember who but someone was using the fingerprint reader but even he decided to disable it as it takes much longer to boot up.

Soldato
OP
I've just noticed a light mark in the middle of the screen that is only visible on the white background.

I'm not happy with it considering the laptop is only few days old.

I think I'll be returning it for a replacement/refund.

Don't think anyone else has noticed anything with their screen, so yeah definately get it swapped.

Soldato
OP
Anyone that ordered the 8371 from **** over the weekend, I have some good news:

Wow what an AMAZING company. I've not seen CS like this in a long while.

I too ordered this morning when they said that they had 4 in stock. I too got a call saying they were upgrading ... here we go I thought... but they're upgrading all orders placed over the weekend to a MUCH better model, bigger hard drive, win 7, horray!

This is the model they are upgrading too:

*link removed*

As you will see, retails a lot more than £345.80 - they are not charging any more though, aka they are taking the hit. Good on you ****

Further info: Anyone that placed an order over this weekend or this morning, they will be going out via TNT tonight, so fingers crossed they'll arrive before the 25th!

:eek: excellent news :D

You are getting the exact same spec right but 500GB hdd over 320GB, HDMI, and Win 7 all for the same price. The only small downside would prob be the glossy screen but all in all, you lucky **** :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok I have an issue. Just recieved the 3810TG and did a clean install of Win 7 Home Premium...

In device manager, it states that the ATI card cannot start (it is using the intel integrated graphics). I tried installing the latest ATI drivers from their site, but it just complains that the ATI isn't the main GPU in use. I cannot see a simple way of switching between the two GPUs - can anyone shed some light?

Which site did you try dl the drivers from? You need to go to the Acer site, not the ATI one.

Soldato
OP
Yep installed graphics drivers from Acer site - DM still reports device cannot start... :/

CCC just shows the Intel GPU - and there is no context menu on right click to switch displays in Windows :/

Which drive version did you download? I can check in about 30 mins or so the exact version I used and they worked fine on the 8371, so you can try those if you have used different ones. The only thing I can think of is the drivers you installed are dodgy.

Soldato
OP
But screen isnt as good on the 3810TG !

Keyboard is different too, depends what you prefer

I agree, screen won't be as good but it's still one hell of a deal! :)

Dragon - I fitted a SSD in my 8371 back when I first got it, then you showed how it's possible to fit 2 hdds in there. Would I need to take the SSD out and open it up or can I not do this with the C300 SSD? Or do you need a specific type of 'smaller' SSD? Finally I've never taken a laptop apart before, how do you get under the keyboard? I don't wanna risk it but badly want 2 hdds in there! :o

Soldato
OP
Those are no longer available on the Acer drivers pages. And they list the same drivers for Home Premium and Ultimate :/

Not sure what to do!

Just compressing the file now, can send it over msn if you want? It's around 170mb, I'm heading out in awhile but can leave my PC on if you want me to send it over to you? Let me know. :)

edit: Going out now, let me know if you still need it later today. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
Install Win 7, and it should install most the drivers. Check in device manager to see what still needs installing, just download and install those. You don't need to install both if their are two available, I would just install the gfx card drivers, and then run windows updates, then check device manager again to see if anything is left.

BTW what laptop have you got?

Soldato
OP
You sure the slot isnt hiding behind a small bit of black tape?

It is indeed under some black tape, underneath the battery.

INSTALLING A 3G MODEM

Also the laptop is ready for a 3g modem. It all ready has a sim card slot in the case. If you remove the battery and then look to the left of the battery connection on the laptop you will see a black sticker covering something. If you remove this black sticker it will reveal a fully functional sim card slot. You can insert a sim and remove. Now this doesnt give you 3g. All you need to add a 3g modem into the laptop is purchase a 3g wwan pcie card like this :

New_Unlocked_Sierra_MC8775_PCI_E_HSDPA_3G_WWAN_Modem.jpg_200x200.jpg

And plug it in to the slot in the top right (you can see the slot in the first picture I posted. Top right of picture). They cost ab

Back
Top Bottom