Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
Was that on your TT bike with lots of aero kit? Good comparison though, any notable 'climbs' on yours & how were the wind conditions? You're 3mph avg faster! :o

Yep. TT bike, aero helmet, skinsuit, disc wheel. Fairly flat course with a couple of bumps.
There was a slight tailwind on the way out and headwind home. 25.8mph out, 23.5 back.

Soldato
Interesting your time out is the same as mine, with around 10W avg difference on the 2 legs - similar to mine!

Maybe some aero kit/bike/wheels would see me doing the same times... Watch out! My loss of time on the return leg kinda proves I'm about as aero as a brick (on a heavy bike)! :D

Need to have a go on some flatter courses without the wind! ;)

Soldato
To be honest even flat courses quick courses have 200ft of climbing.

It probably would get you close if you could keep the same power on a TT bike.
My FTP is about 80-100w lower on the TT bike compared to road bike :(

Bloody hell! That is some seriously compromised position to have that variation.

Soldato
Maybe some aero kit/bike/wheels would see me doing the same times... Watch out! My loss of time on the return leg kinda proves I'm about as aero as a brick (on a heavy bike)! :D

Need to have a go on some flatter courses without the wind! ;)

What makes you think you'll be more aero on a lighter bike... you're the same shape still :p

Pacing comes in to it hugely as the same total work over the same distance & elevation can result in minutes difference. As does realising it's not a race (in the traditional sense) and blowing up within the first 2 miles. Seemed to pace well though a very slight fade.

Our club 10 is a lumpy loop with 2 short climbs, 4 corners, mostly drags with very little flats, slow surfaces and total similar elevation and I can avg 23mph+ on that.

Speaking of which haven't ridden the Speedmax in yonks. Planned to last Thursday but the heavens opened so it's all prepped for today. Tyres still have sprues on and that strip down the middle of the tread :D

Soldato
What makes you think you'll be more aero on a lighter bike... you're the same shape still :p
My usual bike setup is 10.5kg and I'm around 75kg at the moment. With the headwind and long drag of the return half it had to count for something! 25+mph one way & 18.5 back! Although knowing my luck a lighter bike would just make the first downhill stretch slower! I'll admit I'm about as aero as a brick! Need some tri bars & practice! Most of my riding (inc group rides) is spent on the hoods! :p

Pacing comes in to it hugely as the same total work over the same distance & elevation can result in minutes difference. As does realising it's not a race (in the traditional sense) and blowing up within the first 2 miles. Seemed to pace well though a very slight fade.
I've no problem holding speed and power on the flats, I could tell I was fading last night so really need some extended sweetspot sessions to help with that. My legs weirdly feel good today but I know they'll be complaining tomorrow... I mostly rode that TT effort with a combination of HR and power. Power when I was feeling ok and pacing the climbs, then HR & cadence when I was struggling on the way back. My cadence is slightly higher than I would expect but I think much of that is maintaining effort into the headwind. It's surprisingly constant too! I think that's good!? :D

Lend me your Speedmax! ;)

Soldato
If you do get on some extensions you'll find your HR might be unusually high by comparison for any given power for a while whilst you adapt to the position and learn to look up, breath and balance.

Using HR in addition to power is wise. I made the error when starting out of just focusing purely on power and not allowing myself to fully recover after above threshold efforts which does more harm than good. Power should still be the primary but equally worth taking note of HR and not disregarding it all together. I run NP along side average too.

There is a 'sweetspot' cadence around that muscular and aerobic boundary. Not fast enough to cause a high enough aerobic load to raise HR unnecessarily but slow enough to actually drop it slightly without becoming slow force work and causing premature muscular fatigue. Grade largely plays a part in this I find as of course does breathing :p

Soldato
After having ridden my Speedmax with the stock saddle (Fizik Ardea TRI) for the third time I'm pretty certain I could quite easily find something that feels a bit less like a razor blade.

I think the profile being quite convex means that it's, pardon myself - a bit further 'up' things, than is comfortable and it's also an incredibly grippy surface. Riding on the nose and also further back isn't inherently comfortable. The shape feels fine though I'm used to something a little narrower and also with a cutout. (Selle Italia SLR Flow on my Roadie)

I picked up a Fizik Tritone 5.5 when on offer a while back which I've yet to use which happens to be a stub nosed saddle.

Anyone felt similar or have any suggestions of things to try with my current saddle(s)?

Soldato
I know the TT/Tri position is very focused at the front of the saddle, so preference is even more specific to user than a normal road saddle.

I struggled with my Defy's original Giant Contact saddle for ages, the nose was quite wide and the saddle quite soft so didn't offer much support so I would constantly be moving around. I tried a Charge Spoon and found I was moving even more on it even though it was firmer, the stitched saddle skin making sores far worse. After a fit the fitter suggested a flatter, thinner & firmer saddle as although my sit bones were 'normal width' I was getting a lot of rubbing due to my thighs which was causing me to rock in place (along with fixing some foot issues also causing rocking). I switched it out to a thinner nosed Fizik Arione (more in line with the original saddle shape) and considered that 'perfect'. Several months afterwards my mileage had increased (along with weight loss) and reaching anywhere over 3-4 hours I would suffer again with sores. My LBS suggested it was more due to my fatigue causing increased rocking (and to work on core strength/stamina), than saddle/fit. I did start to suffer less with increased core strength, also toughening up but it was a constant sore->recover->sore->recover process, which got tiresome.

I got my Diverge a few months after that with the Specialized Phenom saddle, utterly different to anything else I'd tried. I found my movement on the saddle much better (less) with sores on longer rides almost none existent, either due to more saddle flex (not quite as firm as Arione), middle cutout and/or the centre channel. I'm still not sure which! The difference was so big I even bought one for my turbo bike. Long intense regular turbo sessions I do suffer a little with sores still (just not as frequently as the other saddles), yet out on the road I can do 5-6 hours rides before any real pain. Most of the time then the pain is my sit bone area being very tender and not from saddle sores. I do occasionally pick up sores but they tend to be from not having enough days off the bike, rather than riding time & intensity related.
TLDR; try something similar to your SLR flow if you can - I found a middle cutout & channel solved many of my issues. But you might struggle to find a TT saddle with a middle relief channel which goes all the way to the nose? Fizik have a range of 'VS' ones might be worth looking at?

Soldato
OP
58:10 for 25miles on a training ride last night. 10-15w down on target race power and was a lumpy ole' course so good tester with good data to take away from it.
@touch has loaned me his FFWD disc (he's a good dude!) and wow, what a difference a disc makes. My bike feels incredibly stable now, I can torque the pedals and mash on and the bike just goes super straight. It's crazy how smooth everything is with the disc on, even our sketchy road surfaces in situations where I expect to get properly rattled and cringe, I was just gliding over and disbelief. Properly impressed.

Soldato
If you do get on some extensions you'll find your HR might be unusually high by comparison for any given power for a while whilst you adapt to the position and learn to look up, breath and balance.

Are extensions worth the cost and "learning" time/effort? I ask as we did the Nantwich Triathlon as a relay team last weekend and the only people faster on the bike both had full TT setups

4sfK5Rdl.jpg

I got overtaken by the 2nd place rider and just about managed to hold the gap until we turned and I think the wind changed from a tail to side/cross then head. Think I'd have to stop eating pies & cakes to make up 7 minutes to the 1st place team

Soldato
Unless you're powerful enough to overcome the increased drag from the larger frontal area of riding without them, then no. But with them you'd be going even faster... Doesn't take a long to fit them or learn to ride on them. But if you're converting to bar end shifters, brakes, base bar etc you might find it a faff. I still have all my old stuff from before I got my TT specific rig.

Don't know if you're riding on the 'phantom' extensions (i.e. forearms on the tops).

Soldato
Clip-on aerobars recommendations for a newbie/starting out, without getting anything too crap I need to change in 6 months time (when I'm pro TT'ing ofc). Don't want to spend more than £50/60 or so. Go! :D

I'll stick them on the turbo to get used to position before any TT'ing. I think more of a 'ski bend' would suit me best (rather than too flat) as I did previously suffer a little with numb hands/achey wrists riding hoods without much cushioning.

Soldato
ProfileDesign on Wiggle. Have a pretty wide range of adjustability and are usually in budget as well :cool:
Which ones did you have in mind? The Legacy II are the only ones in budget (they do seem pretty much what I'm looking for). Really expected to see more options?

I really like the look of the 3T comfort bend but there's no budget friendly clip-on/pad bit to match them with. The Deda Parabolica seem popular with many more bar options, just not many in stock on Wiggle. Is Wiggle the wrong place to look for these? The cheapy Token TK9 is about the only one listed with lots of reviews there.

Is Dowsett really 80kg? No wonder he's not going to the Tour. :p
Several of the bigger guys seem to weigh 'heavy'. Even guys stick thin like Froome weigh quite heavy (72kg) compared to the tiny guys like Quintana/Simon & Adam Yates (58kg). Think I recall Terpstra saying he was 80kg as wasn't there a prize in one of the classics for 'first 80kg rider to the top' of something?

Back
Top Bottom