Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
I have a pair of these cheap chinese aero bars*.
The mount style is different from most clip-on bars because the pad/bar forms part of the top mount. It means there's no adjustability of the pads but they do sit much lower and are more similar to a real TT bike position.

*thats not the seller I bought from but I guess they'll be identical anyway. Claims to be carbon but I'm not convinced - the walls look very thick and sound very solid when tapped with a hammer. Maybe carbon wrapped alloy? Not sure, it doesnt matter to me anyway.

Soldato
I really like the look of the 3T comfort bend but there's no budget friendly clip-on/pad bit to match them with. The Deda Parabolica seem popular with many more bar options, just not many in stock on Wiggle. Is Wiggle the wrong place to look for these? The cheapy Token TK9 is about the only one listed with lots of reviews there.?

I rode the Token bars for the little Triathlon relay I did. I'd say the pads aren't very comfortable but good enough for short events. I don't think I'd want to spend much longer than 30 mins on them. There's not a whole lot of bend up if that's what you were looking for.

Man of Honour
Having been out in a bit of a headwind last night, I tried the GCN advice for getting aero - basically hands on the tops of the hoods, forearms parallel to the ground, head down, shoulders tucked in etc.
I could easily get an extra 2-4mph for no more effort compared to being sat upright. Breathing was a little more restricted, and I couldn't do it for long, but it made a massive difference. Definitely want to try some aero bars now!

Soldato
Having been out in a bit of a headwind last night, I tried the GCN advice for getting aero - basically hands on the tops of the hoods, forearms parallel to the ground, head down, shoulders tucked in etc.
I could easily get an extra 2-4mph for no more effort compared to being sat upright. Breathing was a little more restricted, and I couldn't do it for long, but it made a massive difference. Definitely want to try some aero bars now!

Shocker in narrower frontal area increasing speed :p

Soldato
Hey Roady, not sure if this is what you are looking for but I have a spare set of aero bars from when I was messing around with my TT bike position.
EIQVstwl.jpg
Exactly what I'm after! :)

I have a pair of these cheap chinese aero bars*.
Cattle-bars?! :D

I rode the Token bars for the little Triathlon relay I did. I'd say the pads aren't very comfortable but good enough for short events. I don't think I'd want to spend much longer than 30 mins on them. There's not a whole lot of bend up if that's what you were looking for.
I need more of a pronounced 'ski' or J type bend, to retain as natural wrist position as possible otherwise I'd probably have ordered some of them. I'll not really be doing much more than 30 mins (10 mile TT) on them when starting out.

I've ridden like this for a while, I actually quite like pushing into headwinds like that and find that grip on the hoods great for powering on with. I've got quite short arms so riding like that and dropping my elbows my chest is equally as low as riding in the drops. Maybe even lower!

I just make my own aero bars à la Sagan...

vos1N4sl.png.jpg
He's amazingly aero for a bigger guy, he's got guns and big shoulders yet look how well he's able to roll them inwards to be as aero as possible. Total pro! :D :o

Man of Honour
I've ridden like this for a while, I actually quite like pushing into headwinds like that and find that grip on the hoods great for powering on with. I've got quite short arms so riding like that and dropping my elbows my chest is equally as low as riding in the drops. Maybe even lower!

It definitely felt lower than being on the drops - can't find a comfortable "low" position being on the drops, probably because I end up being too compact, it's ok with straightish arms, though for a bit of a rest from the wind.

I found some of these for sale local to work so I'm going to give them a go.

Soldato
It definitely felt lower than being on the drops - can't find a comfortable "low" position being on the drops, probably because I end up being too compact, it's ok with straightish arms, though for a bit of a rest from the wind.

I found some of these for sale local to work so I'm going to give them a go.
I'm similar, I generally find when in the drops I have my arms very straight, almost elbows locked. Any bend my knees hit my chest and I'm very compressed, this is about as low as I can reasonably/comfortably get:
6Q1jb2c.jpg

Good find with those bars Jono, although they're super-low without much option of raising them. If you don't get on with them consider buying some bar attachable pads so you could reverse the bars (so they're over your handlebar, not below). Did you get my email/message regarding power meters? Didn't hear back from you so just wanted to make sure you received it! :)

Man of Honour
Hey Roady, I don't think I did. But I'll check again. I did a search for your name... could you resend it, just in case?
I figured I'd give them a go, even if they're not right - they LOOK like they might have my hands in the position they're in when I'm on sagan pseudo bars... and if not then I've only lost about £40, which I could sell them for.

I might not even be able to mount aerobars on my bike because my handlebars kinda taper from the centre after a few CM... but who knows.

Soldato
Need a new front tub for my 808 FC, it's the wide one, so trying to work out what will be the best tyre to get 0 bulge? Corsa CX in a 23 or 25 perhaps?

Soldato
Don't Zipp recommend a 21mm tyre as the best aero performer? Mine came with a 21mm Tangente but I'm planning on replacing with a 23mm Corsa Speed G+ tub before I race next. Seems like best balance between aero and rolling resistance.

Soldato
Club mate offered me a 23 veloflex carbon for 45 new but been aged for 18 months in the dark like a good wine :D

Currently running an fmb 22mm and its too narrow for the 808fc.

Soldato
Decided to redo the P5 slightly with a view to finding some more speed. I trialled for a while unplugging my front mech and got on ok. So I've sold off my Di2, and gone for mechanical 9100 rear derailleur and shifter and an ARC 58t front ring.should save a good few watts and be plenty lighter too.

Soldato
So picked up a couple of Veloflex Carbons for £75 from a club mate to go on the 808, hopefully I'll get entry on the A3 next week to try them out, look to definitely fit the rim better than my FMB.

As described in the race reports thread I've had a few shocking TTs recently and self diagnosed them as cutting off my hip flexor which I've done in the past, so I've relaxed my position a bit by adding a 10mm spacer under the extensions/pads, rode it properly last night in club TT and before the bolts fell out the position felt very comfy and power was going very well (280W for first 5miles). Position still felt quite good though as I think it enables me to tuck my head into my shoulders more whilst being able to still look up the road.

I feel my legs aren't back to normal following the alps, so hopefully with a bit more power to come in the next week or two I can push on for the PBs I want by the end of the year.

Soldato
Niceone. Decided to bin off the 10 I'm entered for this weekend. CBA with a 90 min drive for 20mins riding. Another 10 closer to home next weekend, then doing the National 25 not long after that. Hopeful of a 48/49 if I manage some ok watts.

Back
Top Bottom