Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
I'm very much in that camp now, I won't generally travel for the short courses, unless they're sporting and have a technical challenge to them. Given up completely with Bentley because of the state of the roads.

What course is the 25 on this year?

Soldato
Fitted aerobars to turbo (they're fantastic, thanks Liam!) and now playing around a bit I notice I feel like I could add quite a bit of height (like maybe 2-3cm) to my seatpost. Is this normal?

Really feel like I could easily drop down lower on them too. I'll take pics once I've done more than a few minutes on the turbo. I find the position much more comfortable than riding in the drops and I'm slightly lower so should be a pretty good starting point! :cool:

Soldato
Give it 10 minutes at a reasonable power and see how your hips start feeling/complaining :p
Haha yeah that's what I'm thinking! Kinda waiting for cooler weather for a decent session on them, I'm also half tempted to put them on my Diverge for the weekend to ride outside with them. :cool:

Had a good turbo session/race last night, I find tempo quite hard on them as I generally find my cadence generally settles ~10-15rpm lower on them (80-85 when my tempo is usually 95ish) so I do tire quicker. But I find I can really push and hold good wattage (350-400W) if I shift my weight onto my elbows (pretty much lifting myself from the saddle). May need to change saddle too as the Specialized Phenom I have on there has a centre dip & channel, so the nose isn't very comfortable when riding in the rolled further forward hip position. Hips feel fine though and amazingly so does my back!

Soldato
Soldato
Yeah all that stuff.

I couldn't quite afford the Ceramispeed :D

In my head it's only cost me 30quid as I can use the old hangar to repair an old ultegra mech for my CX bike! :D

Soldato
Good going to repair an old mech, well worth it then! :cool:

I missed out on two barely used Ultegra RD's for £28-35 on the bay. Annoyed!
Although I did grab a short cage for £31.90 which I'll stick on the turbo so I can transfer the 5800 on there to my Diverge to see if it solves the constant noise I currently have. Watching so many medium cages now, they seem to sell well with lots of short cages going cheap - lots of people changing to lower cassettes!

Another good session on the aerobars last night, although I'm finding the minor drop in power (~50W) really hampers me in Zwift races unless I semi-stand forwards slightly raised off the saddle. I find I then tend to push ~300-350W which I'm able to sustain for several minutes, I think with practice I can hold it longer but for some reason struggle just 5cm lower sat down... Still not changed my saddle though!

Last edited:
Soldato
Need to fit it still though. Going to maybe do it tonight if I can be bothered.

Spare RDs always seem to come in handy, I could probably do with grabbing one if I see one going, although I'll have a 105 spare if I repair the ultegra one, to me just looks like knackered cage.

Soldato
Any recommendations for a narrow stub nosed saddle? I picked up a Fizik Tritone 5.5 which is a large improvement over the stock saddle on my Speedmax but I’m finding it a little on the wide side after around an hour. The S.I. Iron Flow caught my eye, I’ve always gotten on well with their saddles and have the SLR flow on my roadie currently.

Also witnessing some hearty power improvements on both bikes from riding the Speedmax more regularly and involving a little more structure on my outdoor rides in preparation for my clubs annual open 10 in October

Soldato
It's a crazily impressive time but IMO there are serious question marks over his previous records too. I remember rumblings about his road positioning after both comp records went last time although nothing was proven (I believe he was informally warned and separately DQ'd from an event down south for similar behaviour). You really can't underestimate the difference riding that wide would make to your effective CdA. I doubt most top tier pros (Wiggins etc) are stupid enough to ride like that in pursuit of a comp record - Wiggins for example probably shot himself in the foot by having a following motorbike which kept a lot of the traffic at bay.

Any recommendations for a narrow stub nosed saddle? I picked up a Fizik Tritone 5.5 which is a large improvement over the stock saddle on my Speedmax but I’m finding it a little on the wide side after around an hour. The S.I. Iron Flow caught my eye, I’ve always gotten on well with their saddles and have the SLR flow on my roadie currently.

Also witnessing some hearty power improvements on both bikes from riding the Speedmax more regularly and involving a little more structure on my outdoor rides in preparation for my clubs annual open 10 in October

Specialized Sitero? Really like mine.

Soldato
It's a crazily impressive time but IMO there are serious question marks over his previous records too. I remember rumblings about his road positioning after both comp records went last time although nothing was proven (I believe he was informally warned and separately DQ'd from an event down south for similar behaviour). You really can't underestimate the difference riding that wide would make to your effective CdA. I doubt most top tier pros (Wiggins etc) are stupid enough to ride like that in pursuit of a comp record - Wiggins for example probably shot himself in the foot by having a following motorbike which kept a lot of the traffic at bay.

Specialized Sitero? Really like mine.

I thought he got DQ'ed for bringing a support car along?

Back
Top Bottom