Aero/Gains Thread

Soldato
Only oval rails on the snazzy carbon version but I've never had any issues putting oval railed saddles in normal seatpost clamps.

Re: Marcin, I thought he'd been DQ'd for riding standards at the earlier event but I must have misread.

Last edited:
Soldato
Specialized Sitero? Really like mine.

Picked one up new on the bay for £70 :cool: definitely looks promising and generally feels a bit kinder in the hands. Hopefully that carries over to ye olde backside :p

If I don't have any joy (or relief) I'll probably consider a more traditional Tri saddle that isn't stub nosed.

Hadn't realised the stock seatpost has a second set of mounts for the clamp, slamming potential.

8z3cKIJl.jpg

Sitero definitely looks & feels (briefly without bibs :p) kinder.

4pDX95hl.jpg

nq1VrkCl.jpg
(The edges at the front were incredibly uncomfortable and far too firm & wide!)

It looks better too :cool: :D

Last edited:
Soldato
No joy with the Sitero unfortunately (for sale), an improvement over the Tritone but still cause all sorts of carnage. This isn't just me being a wuss either but quite literally being savaged :eek:

Ordered the Selle Italia Iron Flow which I'd eyed up previously and is a match based on SI's 'ID Match' system (S3) to the saddle on my roadie so should provide some relief and maybe even comfort. Doesn't feel like it's worth what it cost but nevertheless the quality is good.

Narrow sit-bones and wide thighs crew :p

y69FJs5l.jpg 1yRforml.jpg E6Hfm3Rl.jpg s1eehZal.jpg OIn4KiIl.jpg

Soldato
Gainzzzz, high gusty headwind out tonight & the last mile.

Pushed hard going out, 350w for the first 5.5km, took 40 seconds out of my minute man.

Eased it back with the monster tailwind and multiple roundabouts at ~300w, very gradually pulling my minute man back.

Last mile just dig in and push hard as possible, 320w or so to come over the line together with my minute man. (Not drafting him).

306w for 22:26 (7w up on last week) I’ve taken it easy this week as been busy with work, just a 45 minute Zwift on Tuesday so well rested!

I was 4th tonight I think pending the results, comparing on Strava somehow 3rd came from 10 seconds down and put 7 further seconds into me in the last mile... dodgy drafting I think as I rode 70w higher for 2kmh slower!

Soldato
Following my elbow pads cracking, instead of buying some new ones I am making some instead. The originals are 2mm unknown powder coated alloy and weigh about 65g.

Using 3mm 316 stainless steel. The weight difference is substantial, I’ll see when I’m finished but estimate 200-300g perhaps, it will depend on how much material can be drilled out or left in situ.

I figured heavier duty is better than them snapping in half on a bump and using my face as a brake!

I had considered 3mm aluminium but unsure as how much strength it would have compared & how easy it would be to bend without inducing a fatigue crack compared to steel.

Soldato
Elbow pads finished, worked out about 250g for the pair. Could probably drill them more but not too fussed.

Did a 25 mile last night. Out & halfway back, back out and then all the way back. Took a half bottle on the bike as it was quite warm.

The back half of the circuit was subject to a thunderstorm which I missed but got all the wet/rain. The wind was slight cross wind to start, could feel it when passing openings in the hedges, but it felt like it died away once the rain came. Made it interesting on carbon rims and sketchy Vittoria tyres. I took the roundabouts very easy not wanting to drop it! Started to get rain/spray/sweat on the helmet visor too, but going fast enough the wind pushed most of it off!

I had a learner car stopped to turn right across traffic on one of the only bits of single lane and I had to scrub from 45kmh to 15kmh to get past them safe which probably cost 15-20 seconds but ah well.

Could feel my calf after about 45 mins start to go, saying if you keep pushing I’m going to cramp up, had to back off a bit and stand up/stretch it and got to the end OK. Having only done 10miles so far I wasn’t surprised, I’ve not done an hour in the TT position and not at that effort level.

I had been trying to ride about 290-300w slightly higher on the undulations and recover on the higher speed bits, I was 287w at the halfway point, falling to 275w and a time of 57:00 at the finish as I had to nurse myself home a bit. My position on the bike must be pretty good, guy 20 seconds up on me did 313w and he wasn’t as tall as I.

The ride home was miserable, I was really bonked and stopped for a can from a shop, it’s always a gradual drag for 20k back from near the coast and takes forever!

Soldato
People with trip socks, what can you use for shoe covers that don’t rip instantly (Velotoes)?

I have seen some like a fat hair band that just cover the buckles which seemed like a good idea.

Soldato
People with trip socks, what can you use for shoe covers that don’t rip instantly (Velotoes)?

I have seen some like a fat hair band that just cover the buckles which seemed like a good idea.
I use the nopinz trip overshoes and then tripsockz on top. I won the overshoes but otherwise I'd still be using velotoze with lots of talc

Soldato
So my position has changed somewhat of late and I've gone for the Praying Mantis type position.

I'm still making some more changes with 20deg armrest spacers to come and I need to chop a bit off the end of the bars, but I've tidied up my cabling a load so can only see 2 di2 cables as they drop down behind my risers. Will aim to remove the risers as the season goes on and I get more comfortable. Not got any real befores but can see the after here.

unsure how much it has helped so far, as I've pushed 20W harder on a 10 but got 40s off my PB, however yesterday I smashed my 25 PB by 58seconds with a 53:47, doing 270W, compared to my previous of 245W, slightly different course, but I would say yesterdays isn't as quick as the one my PB was previously on.
sYeM4a3.jpg

96oa3o4.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
I got back on my TT bike yesterday for the first time in like 8 months.

The position didn't feel great or powerful! It felt very quadriceps heavy with little in the way of glute engagement. Wonder what tweaks I can do to stay aero but gain some watts.

Soldato
Got mine out from behind the sofa on Saturday to fit & test a new saddle and then it subsequently dropped itself, well the bars & extensions turned while it was in an unsuitable stand with my back turned.

One loud crash later I had to dig out the spare mech hanger :rolleyes:

Soldato
Got mine out from behind the sofa on Saturday to fit & test a new saddle and then it subsequently dropped itself, well the bars & extensions turned while it was in an unsuitable stand with my back turned.

One loud crash later I had to dig out the spare mech hanger :rolleyes:

That usually happens to me - prop bike up, stare at bike for 5 seconds, turn back to grab something, bike falls. :p

Soldato
I've got a couple of these floating around the garage, so handy just to drop a wheel in (front or rear) for hassle free 'moving bikes around'. Cheap, sturdy and light enough to kick out the way when hands are full, or shuffle into place with a toe.

Probably would've use for permanent storage as the whole bike weight is resting on 1 or two spokes, but use one for my 'day to day' ride and 1 spare. Saves scuffing tape/saddle from leaning, not to mention the occasional 'whoops!'.

Disclaimer: I'd knock one together with some wood if I had some spare bits, but didn't!

Soldato
That usually happens to me - prop bike up, stare at bike for 5 seconds, turn back to grab something, bike falls. :p

Was such a 'really?! fml' moment :p More often than not it's wedged securely beside the sofa or in the proper display stand. Stupid extensions :p

Back
Top Bottom