AKG Q701 - Roughly £100 before duty

Permabanned
You could always use an equaliser. Simply keep the bass at neutral and lower the other frequencies to compensate.

That way you can control exactly how much bass the can has.

That way you save yourself £70-£90 by buying these over x1's. If you can't be bothered doing that then get X1's.

Only thing is x1s are open backed, which im not keen on, but the k550 make my ears sweat after a few hours...what to do??

I'll need to write up a shopping list i think after some serious review reading.

Caporegime
OP
DT770?

If your ears sweat (or get hot) with the K550 then they will with the X1 and even worse because it's memory foam in the padding.

memory foam soaks up heat like nothing else. i had to get rid of my memory foam mattress it was bad. it gave me heat rash and woke up in a pool of sweat in the summer at times.

Soldato
I own DT770s they're tonality is very similar to another pair of headphones I own the HD650s. Although the mids aren't as rich the DT770s offer great bass response and are all round a decent headphone.

One song that I love for testing headphones is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usXtjlm5vC4

raspy guitar, warm bass, her vocal range.

Although the quality of the audio in that video is subpar!

Last edited:
Permabanned
DT770?

If your ears sweat (or get hot) with the K550 then they will with the X1 and even worse because it's memory foam in the padding.

memory foam soaks up heat like nothing else. i had to get rid of my memory foam mattress it was bad. it gave me heat rash and woke up in a pool of sweat in the summer at times.

I have a hothead :D

Will read some reviews on the DT770. Ta.

Now I believe it's pub time.

Soldato
The seal is why I bought them, only use them if I want to block out any background noise.

Here is a quick graph from where I buy my headphones.

RepHCMo.png

As you can see the K701s that I was used to for 5 or 6 years have the lowest bass response, before them I had the older version of the DT880.

The difference from K701 to K550 is quite large and it is also what is putting me off buying the K812 without trying them first.

If you think K550 have no bass, don't even bother with neutral headphones!

Edit: Just put my K550s on, Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC into Lyr Amp and played a few songs at a moderate volume. I can feel my head vibrate from the bass... I don't know why you would want more than that :p

I use Brainwavz HM5s as my 'neutral cans', here is the freq response for the sake of comparison. It's not that I found the K550 to be lacking in bass, I found the entire headphone to be flat, and lifeless.

4261c959_FA-003vsD7000.jpeg

Caporegime
OP
Money gets taken when the order is finalised with AKG.

Now we have to wait for AKG to get nearly 1500 headphones to massdrop before they then individually package and post them.

I just hope AKG or massdrop don't have issues dealing with such a large order. It's been a very successful deal.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah my payment went through at half 5 this morning too. Surely orders this large on othe4 products have been done before, how long did they take?

Soldato
So we are looking at £116 odd all in. Around £85 saved. Not bad at all for direct from a manufacturer outside of the EU.

I will proberbly get The aune T1 if the output powee is enough to drive these, I have read they are not so much hard to drive in the standard sense of headphones but rather power hungry for juice from the amp for their relative impedance, not that I fully understand that but I sort of get it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Selling them on if they don't take my fancy won't be a problem without losin any money I reckon, especially with some nice photos included in the advert :p

Soldato
I cancelled my order after reading up on them, they seem to be very base light and lean sounding. After enjoying the X1 I don't think I would want any less bass in my cans, especially for movies.

Last edited:
Associate
AKG 65th anniversary will fix the lean sound signature ;)

The Qs are not actually that lean, the K701 is very much so. The Q sound lean next to my HD650 but then anything does!

Caporegime
OP
There are bass mods.

You guys are crazy to cancel on such a cheap deal. You could have sold it on for a profit had you not liked them.

Mint condition like new Q701's would go for £150+ easy at auction especially if you tell them you bought them, tried them and didn't like them so are selling them on.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah you snooze you lose :p

Congratulations, you and 1,541 other people made this drop a success. The group is saving a total of $77,100. Very impressive. Make sure to share and join the discussion so that we can reach the lowest drop again.

That's a big collective saving.

Back
Top Bottom