Alan Wake 2

Why does it say ray tracing medium on path tracing? Path tracing is either on or off, it;s either path traced or not, which supersedes ray tracing - So that makes no sense noting both, unless they mean normal ray tracing on medium is that, or path tracing - That makes more sense.

Also path tracing with ray reconstruction = Better fps and better visuals which this game supports.

The 4070 for 1080p full PT makes sense.

A 4090 should rinse through it at over 60fps like Cyberpunk does, and mouse input latency doesn't matter as much in this style of game pacing.

It can work on any RT, but at the moment the AI model is only trained on path tracing, eventually it will be usable on RT too once Nvidia train the model to it.

The fps is only killed if the GPU isn't man enough :p

Why does it say ray tracing medium on path tracing? Path tracing is either on or off, it;s either path traced or not, which supersedes ray tracing - So that makes no sense noting both, unless they mean normal ray tracing on medium is that, or path tracing - That makes more sense.
Assuming the table's correct, 'medium' is most likely casting less rays than 'high' and won't be as accurate. Also, when you're path-tracing you can terminate rays sooner/later and have more or less bounces.

Last edited:
If those specs are accurate then in about 3 years when GPU prices are more affordable :rolleyes: I might pick it up in a sale :( it does not even look any better than control either so why it needs such high specs is a mystery!

If those specs are accurate then in about 3 years when GPU prices are more affordable :rolleyes: I might pick it up in a sale :( it does not even look any better than control either so why it needs such high specs is a mystery!
Have to admit, I haven't seen anything in the previews that's really 'wowed' me - Control had a very distinct visual flair and 'The Oldest House' had some great design ideas - AWII looks far more grounded in reality (from what I've seen) and seems kinda dull in comparison?

Looking forward to the DF coverage though - I'm sure they'll examine it in depth.

Last edited:
Seems to be a common thing at the moment, this year has seen a number of titles with very high specs needed but when you look at them they dont look like they would need those specs.

I'm guessing its like how Cyberpunk is using the terminology. Ray tracing = Raster + ray traced lighting added on top. Path Tracing = no raster, and you have to use Ray Reconstruction to avoid half your screen being black dots.

What they call path tracing is what I used to think of as 'ray tracing' ala Maya/C4D.

Everything I've seen about this game screams one I'll get for free on EGS in around 3-4 years, and then still ignore, or run for 10 minutes to check out the graphics before promptly uninstalling.

The Max Payne remakes are what I'm really looking forward to.

Last edited:
Never understood why people big up Alan Wake. That game was boring as ****.

I will wait for this one to be sub £20 even if it reviews well just in case :cry:

Looks to be another game for benchmarking GPU's and gawping over light reflections off spoons. And playing the whole thing with 1/2 the screen showing hardware use stats.

Last edited:
https://nitter.net/newincpp/status/1715742105019031976#m (nitter link for those without twitter).

Apparently won't work on anything less than 20 series for Nvidia and 6000 series for AMD as lower than that don't support mesh shaders.

Game is being sent out to die.

EGS only on PC.
Digital only on console.
Won't work on on 10 series or RX5000, which a lot are still on because of AMD and Nvidia still trying to bend people over for gpus, even if they have the grunt for low settings because lack of mesh shaders.

Makes me sad. I liked Alan Wake, now the sequel is being sent to die.

Last edited:
Mesh shaders are part of the Direct X Specs. It doesn't matter how many people are still on older cards, the fact of the matter is that at some point legacy hardware has to be let go and will be unsupported, either upgrade to something supporting a standards compliant shader spec, or you're not going to be playing newer games.

Not sure what's so hard to understand on that front really.

Don't expect many newer games now coming out to support older cards either. Just like how last gen consoles are being left out of newer games as well.

Devs can't keep catering to old gen consoles, or old gen GPUs that don't support advances in API pipelines.

Last edited:
Mesh shaders are part of the Direct X Specs. It doesn't matter how many people are still on older cards, the fact of the matter is that at some point legacy hardware has to be let go and will be unsupported, either upgrade to something supporting a standards compliant shader spec, or you're not going to be playing newer games.

Don't expect many newer games now coming out to support older cards either. Just like how last gen consoles are being left out of newer games as well.

Devs can't keep catering to old gen consoles, or old gen GPUs that don't support advances in API pipelines.

The mentality of PC gamers has changed imo

Back when I first got into PC gaming (1999 - 2001) I would look on the back of the box at the minimum requirements and think "oh, I can't play this, it won't run on my PC". Then when I upgraded my PC I could go back and buy those games and enjoy playing them. If my PC did meet the requirements I would buy the game and just be happy I could play it. Then as PCs got better and I upgraded I could replay those games with higher settings and turn on features I hadn't been able to use before. It was nice.

Nowadays people look at the requirements and watch performance reviews and think "oh, I can't run it at max settings so I won't buy it". Then they go to their favorite forum and complain that the devs haven't optimized it. They never stop to consider that having a game which doesn't run at max settings on today's hardware can be a good thing. I like it when maximum settings make a game look too good for today's systems as it gives me something to look forward to when I replay the game another time.

Don't get me wrong, Skylines 2 doesn't look so good that it should struggle on today's systems, this post is more of a generalization of the way PC gamers seem to think nowadays. And it's a shame.

Nothing hard to understand, just saying it's a shame it's being sent out to die. EGS + locking out those older cards will be a death blow for it on pc.

Not the devs fault AMD & Nvidia have been bending people over since covid, but still a shame to see a sequel that I never thought would be made be sent to die.

https://nitter.net/newincpp/status/1715742105019031976#m (nitter link for those without twitter).

Apparently won't work on anything less than 20 series for Nvidia and 6000 series for AMD as lower than that don't support mesh shaders.

Game is being sent out to die.

EGS only on PC.
Digital only on console.
Won't work on on 10 series or RX5000, which a lot are still on because of AMD and Nvidia still trying to bend people over for gpus, even if they have the grunt for low settings because lack of mesh shaders.

Makes me sad. I liked Alan Wake, now the sequel is being sent to die.

A true next gen game with next gen system requirements

If ya'll wanna play games on toasters go ahead but don't cry when a dev pushes the industry forward

But that won't stop everyone on toasters moaning about how their 10 year old GPU should be able to play next gen games. PC gamers are the biggest whiners

• Haha
Reactions: mrk
Back
Top Bottom