Alien: Isolation...

Soldato
Sorry for hijacking the thread. I've asking in others but haven't had any replies. Would anyone recommend VorpX at all. It's £40 and seems like a lot of money but I've seen mixed reviews of it, like it needs a LOT of tinkering to get games anywhere near playable.
I've not tried VOrpx at all, so cant comment. Alien Isolation is super cool in VR on the other hand, although one needs to build his/her "VR legs" first.

Soldato
So I had a nightmare last night in which I was hiding from those androids, and was soon found and throttled.

And I'm playing on a standard 1080p monitor. VR must be incredible in this game, but I think it might break my brain! :)

Soldato
You don't need to crouch all the time. You are very safe walking around the station and in-fact you should do, since it's a lot faster and faster you do things, less time you deal with the Alien, one last good thing about walking everywhere is that you get to see things like loot that otherwise you might miss if you was on your knees all the time.

Only time it's unsafe to walk is when you need to sneak pass enemies. Don't walk within eyesight/hearing of the Alien. Like in the same corridor. Or if you inside a room and he's on the other side of the wall in the next room or corridor, don't walk, since the Alien will hear you.

For example, if you in a big room like that "lobby" where you meet them humans who shoot you, if you are one side of the room and the Alien or enemies are on the other side, you can walk since the distance is far enough, if I had to put a number on it, don't walk around enemies within 20-30 feet?

Unless you about to escape to an other part of the station by the lift.

But depending on what difficulty you play on, you can get a lot of leeway on what you can and can't do.

Soldato
You don't need to crouch all the time. You are very safe walking around the station and in-fact you should do, since it's a lot faster and faster you do things, less time you deal with the Alien, one last good thing about walking everywhere is that you get to see things like loot that otherwise you might miss if you was on your knees all the time.

Only time it's unsafe to walk is when you need to sneak pass enemies. Don't walk within eyesight/hearing of the Alien. Like in the same corridor. Or if you inside a room and he's on the other side of the wall in the next room or corridor, don't walk, since the Alien will hear you.

For example, if you in a big room like that "lobby" where you meet them humans who shoot you, if you are one side of the room and the Alien or enemies are on the other side, you can walk since the distance is far enough, if I had to put a number on it, don't walk around enemies within 20-30 feet?

Unless you about to escape to an other part of the station by the lift.

But depending on what difficulty you play on, you can get a lot of leeway on what you can and can't do.

Yeah, I'd been doing this for a lot of the game, but on the level I'm on it feels like I need to crouch because
of all the water on the floor, and the fact that it sounds like I'm making big splashy noises when walking.

It may be that I'm crouching here unnecessarily, but it does make me feel a bit safer...

Soldato
Are you sure this is still the case
at the end of the reactor level, in the alien nest full of ankle-deep water?
Walking there sounds like it makes a right racket...

Yes, you are safe still, I know it makes a lot of noise. (Lots of sounds in the game are designed that way)

That said, depending on what difficulty you are playing on, you might be forced to crawl all the way in it. Hard and Nightmare modes, the Alien keeps you company a lot in that section.

Any proper noise you make in that section is likely going to invite unwelcome guests, like using weapons.

Soldato
Yes, you are safe still, I know it makes a lot of noise. (Lots of sounds in the game are designed that way)

That said, depending on what difficulty you are playing on, you might be forced to crawl all the way in it. Hard and Nightmare modes, the Alien keeps you company a lot in that section.

Any proper noise you make in that section is likely going to invite unwelcome guests, like using weapons.

Well, that's good to know because that bit of that level is a right PITA. I died three time in succession in roughly the same place last time I tried it. Good to know I can at least move more quickly through it without attracting unwanted attention.

EDIT: Thanks for the tip there. I did just manage to get to the next save point by walking down the corridors (died shortly afterwards, but, hey, it's progress!)

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd play this if I could get the VR to work. On DK2 I've followed lots of guides, uninstalled the latest Oculus and installed older versions which allow runtime switching etc. but just cant work out how to get it to run on the headset. :(
The only reason I bought it was to play it in VR.

Soldato
Yes! Finished it last night. Fabulous game.

I actually thought missions 16 and 17 were harder than the med bay levels. I did think it was perhaps a bit over-long as I was getting into the later missions, and I was starting to feel like I'd skulked down the same corridor rather a few times. There are some terrific levels, though and it does a great job of capturing the feeling of claustrophic fear of the first film. The use of sound was perhaps the best I've ever experienced in a game. It's crucial to the gameplay to listen carefully, and the sound really drove the tension brilliantly.

I couldn't help wondering about what game does to the Alien canon, though. I mean, in the second film, we find that 57 years had passed and that Amanda Ripley had lived to her mid-60s and was documented in demographic records. But we also learn, during Ellen Ripley's inquest over the events on the Nostromo, that no one other than her has ever reported contact with the alien lifeforms. But, now the game shows us
that the Sevastopol was over-run, the Anesidora had picked one up, and both were eventually destroyed.

How given that we know from Aliens that Amanda Ripley returns to the human systems, wouldn't we expect some record of her reports of the aliens by the time Ellen Ripley was subject to an inquest by the ICC?
Wouldn't she face an inquest into her role in the destruction of Sevastopol and the Anesidora and thus need to report the alien presence?

This doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game, but I couldn't help thinking about it.

Soldato

Now you finished it.

In the first space walk, did you notice the Alien climbing outside the station?

In the final spacewalk to escape, did you notice the Aliens following you and watching you?

I feel the game is Canon to the series, no reason not to think about that, regarding the aftermath, I would assume Weyland would want to keep things quiet.

If you was reading the computer logs, you understand why, they was very naughty.

Back
Top Bottom