Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

What I mean is the screen's native res being used is the key factor here, using DLDSR on the 34" is higher than 4K res, 5160x2160, yet becaus ethe screen's native isn't that res, and the PPI is smaller, we don't see the true benefit of that ~4K res being used whereas we do on a 4K native res display at 32" thanks to the increased PPI.

What I've learned in the last 24 hours is that 3440x1440 using DLSS or DLAA offers either comparable or better picture just because native res output works with that native PPI, whilst at 4K on a 4K display of nearly the same physical size means the PPI is higher, so in terms of physics the image /has/ to be better anyway. This wasn't apparent before but now that I'm seeing it in front of me, it makes perfect sense. This is also why the games/emulators rendering at 4K on a 4K panel look better than rendering at above 4K on a non-native 4K panel!

The other benefit is DLDSR has a GPU overhead on top which native 4K panel won't have, so from a technical level 4K native panels allow the GPU to perform better at 4K than rendering via DLDSR at (or slightly above) 4K on a non 4K native display :p
Increasingly tempted to keep hold of it then? Or are you going to use the full 14 days to make a decision?

I have a free weekend so this will give me enough time to properly try out everything and also instal some other games I've completed in recent times to see what they're like since I spent a lot of time on the with the 34" DW and memory of the visuals from them is still fresh. But it is looking more and more like I will keep it for sure.

Last edited:
Also may have been answered but can't remember :p

Have you noticed mch improvement with the panel itself, colours, hdr perf. etc. compared to 1st gen qd-oled?

In creator mode, sRGB and using HDR 1000 so same config as on the ultrawide - No visual/immediate difference which is what I was expecting anyway as the factory calibrations in this mode are the same basically. When HDR is active though creator mode doesn't apply anyway as the content controls how HDR looks. In SDR mode I always use Creator mode. You can keep gamma on the default 2.4 this time round whereas the DW needed gamma 2.2 to "Look" 2.4.

I've turned off Dolby Vision though because it's really annoying with it on, playing HDR videos shows a Dolby vision in the corer for a moment then seems to go back to normal HDR 1000 after a blank screen flick. Seems this issue affected many before Dell released a FW with an option to turn off Dolby vision, so naturally I just leave it off as there's very little DV content that isn't already HDR10/HLG anyway and a player like MPC-BE with the MPC Video renderer has the option to pass through all HDR methods to the display so it just works out the box.

I skimmed my IMAX copy of Interstellar which is DV too and it was a more stable HDR ()no black screen flick) with DV turned off in the OSD, for example. Think DV implementation here feels unfinished, so just keep it off.

Last edited:
What I mean is the screen's native res being used is the key factor here, using DLDSR on the 34" is higher than 4K res, 5160x2160, yet becaus ethe screen's native isn't that res, and the PPI is smaller, we don't see the true benefit of that ~4K res being used whereas we do on a 4K native res display at 32" thanks to the increased PPI.

What I've learned in the last 24 hours is that 3440x1440 using DLSS or DLAA offers either comparable or better picture just because native res output works with that native PPI, whilst at 4K on a 4K display of nearly the same physical size means the PPI is higher, so in terms of physics the image /has/ to be better anyway. This wasn't apparent before but now that I'm seeing it in front of me, it makes perfect sense. This is also why the games/emulators rendering at 4K on a 4K panel look better than rendering at above 4K on a non-native 4K panel!

The other benefit is DLDSR has a GPU overhead on top which native 4K panel won't have, so from a technical level 4K native panels allow the GPU to perform better at 4K than rendering via DLDSR at (or slightly above) 4K on a non 4K native display :p

I always thought it was obvious that on the actual display that is higher resolution it would look better due to all the actual physically present pixels. And yes. Higher PPI helps for sure :D

As I said. What I like about you is when you learn something you change your view and admit you had it wrong before.

So many other posters on the forum just can't admit they were wrong and stick to archaic views and defend them to its death. Nothing wrong with getting things wrong. Like I was a was bit of a AMD fanboy in the past. I learnt that it slowly amounted to masochism and changed my ways :p

By the way, not referring to the aspect ratio thing. That is purely a preference thing. No right and wrong about it. I like both. 21:9 and 16:9 both have their pro's in my book :)

The PPI is good to judge sharpness at a given distance, but detail will be better on 4k when compared to 1440p no matter the PPI.

Maybe my eyesight just needs tested :p I always find 4k a bit meh in terms of there being extra detail for games where higher res assets load in regardless of resolution being used e.g. hogwarts, huge difference, horizon forbidden west, hardly any difference to my eyes but as said this is comparing a 55" 4k oled to a 34" 1440 oled. No doubt for films/tv shows, the difference is massive though. For older games where low res assets were/are used, sure it's a bit sharper but the biggest difference was for anti aliasing, it helped a lot here and even now with TAA based methods, it's arguable that the higher res. will no doubt be more beneficial here, if anything that's what is pushing me towards a higher res. panel as taa methods just simply works better with higher res. and loads of games implement it really poorly but thankfully dlss solves most of the issues that TAA/native would have although not fully....

I have got a few games installed so will do some testing and maybe photos too.

Last edited:
I tend to approach things based on a scientific approach, when new findings come to light, previous knowledge needs to be re-evaluated and new knowledge is gained :D Sadly on places like reddit, knowledge means little as does evidence, currently there's an ongoing battle where most over there think DLAA is still superior, even though it's not and steals exactly 50% of the framerate whilst not looking even 10-20% better than DLSS Performance with DLSS 3.7 being used :cry: - Someone the last couple days posted a cherry picked example of a fence being smoother in one area when jumping really quick in Cyberpunk and that was their example of DLAA being superior to DLSS rather than looking at the overall entirety of the frame and the performance impact vs visual quality - As a whole they both looked the same, whilst DLSS resolves more detail across wider texture ranges, whilst DLAA sometimes resolves a bit more detail in finer stuff like said fence area but only under specific conditions (hence the cherry pick).

Sometimes it is an uphill battle with that lot.

Like I was a was bit of a AMD fanboy
:eek:

Maybe my eyesight just needs tested :p I always find 4k a bit meh in terms of there being extra detail for games where higher res assets load in regardless of resolution being used e.g. hogwarts, huge difference, horizon forbidden west, hardly any difference to my eyes but as said this is comparing a 55" 4k oled to a 34" 1440 oled. No doubt for films/tv shows, the difference is massive though. For older games where low res assets were/are used, sure it's a bit sharper but the biggest difference was for anti aliasing, it helped a lot here and even now with TAA based methods, it's arguable that the higher res. will no doubt be more beneficial here, if anything that's what is pushing me towards a higher res. panel as taa methods just simply works better with higher res. and loads of games implement it really poorly but thankfully dlss solves most of the issues that TAA/native would have although not fully....

I have got a few games installed so will do some testing and maybe photos too.
Yeh, I wouldn't say there is always a massive difference, but it is always there. I move from 75 inch 4k to the 34 ultra wide and can always notice there is a difference in details. How much, depends on the game.

Tbh 4k movies aren't too much difference, when comparing with gaming

Last edited:
How about 1440p DLAA vs 4k DLSS performance?
How about 1440p DLSS Quality vs 4kDLSS performance?
Does the PPI difference of 30 make a difference?
I reckon if both screens have the same PPI, 1440p will have an advantage in both above scenarios.

Last edited:
Will you use them as dual monitors? I thought about doing the same, but I think it'll be far too wide to be comfortable.
that's what i was wondering. though often when i was using the 38GL950G i felt like i could do with a 2nd monitor. 38inches was wide but only enough to have 2 windows open a 3rd monitor for chat/reference material would be good with the AW as my main/gaming.

Last edited:
@mrk I’m assuming you’ll be losing some fps on titles like Cyberpunk etc ? With going full 4k from ultrawide id appreciate any feedback regarding this .. Also if anyone can help me out regarding links or anything towards a discount code it’d be appreciated. I’ve got the QF in my basket with my finger hovering over the buy button for 2 days :cry:Thanks all

Last edited:
@mrk I’m assuming you’ll be losing some fps on titles like Cyberpunk etc ? With going full 4k from ultrawide id appreciate any feedback regarding this .. Also if anyone can help me out regarding links or anything towards a discount code it’d be appreciated. I’ve got the QF in my basket with my finger hovering over the buy button for 2 days :cry:Thanks all

I've tried messaging you but won't let me for some reason. See if you can message me and I'll respond.

Not really seeing any noticeable loss, visually the games all look/motion crisper too,, for comparison, on the DW:

A1SbrZE.png

On the QF:
dDrdcK8.jpeg

Alan Wake 2 also runs similarly in path tracing and all other games are comfortably well above 100fps fps still too. Horizon Forbidden West and crew run awesome too, check it out, even DLAA is great but I prefer DLSS 3.7 in games now over DLAA.

Btw, do not fear DLSS Performance at 4K, it;s better than DLAA:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom