Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

So my thoughts so far, purely based on gaming:

- definetly prefer 21.9, going back to 16.9 just feels like going from 16.9 to 4.3, it is simply less immersive by a long shot, yes you gain in height but it doesn't add anywhere near the same immersiveness as a wider FOV (without fish eye distortion) and wider screen, obviously subjective

- maybe will adapt but I feel like 34" is pretty much the perfect screen size, obviously subjective

- as I found all those years ago with 4k and comparing to my 4k 55, it really does depend on the game how much 4k shines, most older games are meh, it's the newer ones which show more detail, surprsingly horizon forbidden west was one of the better ones even though dldsr in that game offers the least improvement compared to other games. In terms of just IQ, no doubt though: native 4k dlls perf > 1440P dldsr + dlss perf > 1440p dlss quality > native 1440p taa

- 240hz is great! noticeable improvement over 175hz but could start to argue point of diminishing returns

- gaming on some games where I am getting 50-65 fps, the aw34dw handles this better and looks smoother (but I am very sensitive to this, more than most probably), also, personally I notice flickering more in the darker scenarios and low fps in cp2077 compared to the aw34dw so gsync module does seem to pay of in this respect, when at 70-80+ fps, don't notice a difference though

- panel itself in terms of colours etc. is good but not a very noticeable upgrade over the dw imo

Obviously photos won't do it justice but none the less!

aw34

z5wWVYJ.jpg

aw32

vb1hpeR.jpg

eosOeOf.jpg

aw32

8DiQKy3.jpg

aw34

YFellRF.jpg

7lqcrm4.jpg

aw32

zvmDq8m.jpg

ilU7aAT.jpg

aw34

Zmt1MLH.jpg

aw32, black bars :cry:

BXeQFTQ.jpg

Also, just for @TNA

10GB is enough!!! :cry: :D :p

As mrk noted, performance is actually better on native 4k with dlss perf than using dldsr 1.78x and dlss performance.

So I'll give it another few days to see if I can re-adapt to 16.9 but so far, imo, if you had/have a aw34dw and like 21.9, I probably wouldn't bother but if you don't care for that then yeah, it's a great monitor.

It's the smoothness at 4K in Horizon that made me decide it's a keeper, it's so detailed and so smooth regardless of if I am using DLAA, DLSS Perf or DLSS Quality - IT's just a cut above the AW34 in this regards that 4K gaming at 240Hz made total sense in that moment. And now I'm playing some older games modded like Doom 3 at 4K and that too is showing a new lease of life I think mainly because older games like these aren't 21:9, or if they can be modded, aren't accurately 21:9 which is why I tended to stay away from older stuff on ultrawide for so long.

Btw I saw 9GB VRAM use at 4K in Horizon and that was the same across all rendering methods :p

It's the smoothness at 4K in Horizon that made me decide it's a keeper, it's so detailed and so smooth regardless of if I am using DLAA, DLSS Perf or DLSS Quality - IT's just a cut above the AW34 in this regards that 4K gaming at 240Hz made total sense in that moment. And now I'm playing some older games modded like Doom 3 at 4K and that too is showing a new lease of life I think mainly because older games like these aren't 21:9, or if they can be modded, aren't accurately 21:9 which is why I tended to stay away from older stuff on ultrawide for so long.

Btw I saw 9GB VRAM use at 4K in Horizon and that was the same across all rendering methods :p

Yeah I don't play many of them old games now and either way, mod scene works well for when/if there are issues with 21.9 :cool: Generally I have always found 21.9 to be pretty smooth sailing and never a hardship to fix.

The difference between 1440p and 4k is crazy how much it can vary on game to game basis though e.g. dying light 2 is far more detailed and even in motion with less fps, much better than the aw 34. Wish devs would do a better job on this front regardless of your res. FO 76 is noticeably better looking for an "older" game with low res assets but this is TAA based game so no surprise higher res. helps.

I am actually surprised at how well the 3080 holds up on 4k with dlss balanced and perf! But then ampere always did excel more at 4k than the competition from grunt POV.

One thing I really like on gen 3, at least with Alienware anyway is the colour indicator on the dialogue when you press the joystick in. Need to quickly check if a pixel refresh is due? I just press it and see if it's yellow or green, if yellow then I press the lock Windows button on my keyboard and go to the kitchen to enjoy a tea or snack for several mins and by the time I'm back the pixel refresh has completed and I can sign back in. I've yet to be prompted for a pixel refresh as a result now as it just does it when needed or I manually do it when I see the yellow dot.

Also note that there's no eco mode in the OSD any more so I guess they've ditched that.

I also remember seeing a USB power when in standby mode when I first installed the QF but cannot find this option any more so I imagine it was a first setup prompt and will show up again to ask if I factory reset it. Useful feature as I can leave a device charging off the USB-C port (15W) if the monitor goes into standby etc.

Edit*
I have been a silly goose. Discovered by accident the little arrow next to display scaling lets you set a custom scaling factor :D

XRGmfWl.png

So now can use that or just set the text size to be a bit bigger at 125% display scaling to get more stuff on screen without affecting text.

Last edited:
Do you mean the Better Cleartype Tuner tool? Set to RGB and contrast 2200 then be done with it as it's a set once and forget tool regardless of windows scaling and text size being changed later.

Do you mean the Better Cleartype Tuner tool? Set to RGB and contrast 2200 then be done with it as it's a set once and forget tool regardless of windows scaling and text size being changed later.

Yup that's the one! Ta

Once human looks considerably better at 4k :cool: TAA based upscaling so not a huge surprise but given how many hours I'll be putting into this game, this will make me want to keep the aw32 :cry: Also, 21.9 support isn't the best for it, supports the wider fov just fine but things like when you aim/zoom in, go from walking to running is a bit weird.

One thing I really like on gen 3, at least with Alienware anyway is the colour indicator on the dialogue when you press the joystick in. Need to quickly check if a pixel refresh is due? I just press it and see if it's yellow or green, if yellow then I press the lock Windows button on my keyboard and go to the kitchen to enjoy a tea or snack for several mins and by the time I'm back the pixel refresh has completed and I can sign back in. I've yet to be prompted for a pixel refresh as a result now as it just does it when needed or I manually do it when I see the yellow dot.

Also note that there's no eco mode in the OSD any more so I guess they've ditched that.

I also remember seeing a USB power when in standby mode when I first installed the QF but cannot find this option any more so I imagine it was a first setup prompt and will show up again to ask if I factory reset it. Useful feature as I can leave a device charging off the USB-C port (15W) if the monitor goes into standby etc.

Edit*
I have been a silly goose. Discovered by accident the little arrow next to display scaling lets you set a custom scaling factor :D

XRGmfWl.png

So now can use that or just set the text size to be a bit bigger at 125% display scaling to get more stuff on screen without affecting text.

Noticed some weirdness with a custom scaling setting so will stick to 125% and custom text size.

Set mine up about an hour ago, installed wallpaper engine and downloading MSB105 as we speak, 1st impressions .. wow I’m in love , 1st time 4k , 1st time curved , what a premium looking monitor this is , even the missus is impressed :) , going have a play around with the colours soon , thank you all for recommending this absolute beaut of a display. Cheers

M2B105, A03-00? mine is MSB104. what vid? TFTCentral one?

Yep M2B105 is the latest one. TFTCentral vid I found to be good, I also used his set up guide for the PG27AQDM which I found to be reliable too.

Set mine up about an hour ago, installed wallpaper engine and downloading MSB105 as we speak, 1st impressions .. wow I’m in love , 1st time 4k , 1st time curved , what a premium looking monitor this is , even the missus is impressed :) , going have a play around with the colours soon , thank you all for recommending this absolute beaut of a display. Cheers

Happy for you @adger1971 , it is such a great display. I've not had much chance to play many more games since receiving mine yesterday but just using it for general things and watching HDR content, it's just so good. Don't think I can go back from 4k 240hz :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom