Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Caporegime
Keep the 32" 4K panel. You know you want to ;)

Yeah my main game right now and for the foreseeable is going to be once human and no questions, the 4k panel wins hands down so it's making me lean more towards the aw32 atm

Edit:

Starfield is also a massive improvement in textures.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah my main game right now and for the foreseeable is going to be once human and no questions, the 4k panel wins hands down so it's making me lean more towards the aw32 atm

So, those hundreds of posts about never going back to 16:9 can now be pooh-poohed :p

In all seriousness, I was tempted to try the AW3225QF, but I'm going to hodor and wait for the new ultrawides instead.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Edit:

Starfield is also a massive improvement in textures.

Yea. 4K is where it's at. Been saying it for like 10 years now :D

Caporegime
So, those hundreds of posts about never going back to 16:9 can now be pooh-poohed :p

In all seriousness, I was tempted to try the AW3225QF, but I'm going to hodor and wait for the new ultrawides instead.

Haha I haven't decided it yet so we will see :p ;) true 4k clarity in some of these games is hard to deny though, either starfield has been improved massively in terms of visuals or 4k is working wonders here, photos don't do it justice but I remember being very underwhelmed by its visuals on launch as even resorted to texture packs etc.

lmzDvGX.jpg

bRwqD8K.jpg

It is a shame no 5160x2160 3rd gen qd-oled monitors yet as it will be the way to go, can't find any info on the qd-oled but woled looks to be 2025 so I would expect qd-oled to beat lg to the punch but then as mentioned, we probably be talking about £1300 at least so throw in another 6/7 + months on waiting for prices to drop to <£1+k

ZsP17R9.png

What I may do is keep both so have the best of both, 21.9 for where games look/play better and then the 4k for the games where they look/play better on 4k.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Haha I haven't decided it yet so we will see :p ;) true 4k clarity in some of these games is hard to deny though, either starfield has been improved massively in terms of visuals or 4k is working wonders here, photos don't do it justice but I remember being very underwhelmed by its visuals on launch as even resorted to texture packs etc.

lmzDvGX.jpg

bRwqD8K.jpg

It is a shame no 5160x2160 3rd gen qd-oled monitors yet as it will be the way to go, can't find any info on the qd-oled but woled looks to be 2025 so I would expect qd-oled to beat lg to the punch but then as mentioned, we probably be talking about £1300 at least so throw in another 6/7 + months on waiting for prices to drop to <£1+k

ZsP17R9.png

What I may do is keep both so have the best of both, 21.9 for where games look/play better and then the 4k for the games where they look/play better on 4k.

The 21:9 will eventually get little to no use. Then it will be sold :p

Caporegime
Yea. 4K is where it's at. Been saying it for like 10 years now :D

Except all the games from even maybe 3/4 years ago look barely any better on 4k :p :cry: ;)

It really is very meh in anything outside of the last 3/4 years imo, yes it's better but it's not noticeable when compared to the newer games of today where higher res assets are used. TAA really did **** over the visuals tbh, solved a lot of issues but introduced a lot of problems.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Except all the games from even maybe 3/4 years ago look barely any better on 4k :p :cry: ;)

It really is very meh in anything outside of the last 3/4 years imo, yes it's better but it's not noticeable when compared to the newer games of today where higher res assets are used. TAA really did **** over the visuals tbh, solved a lot of issues but introduced a lot of problems.

Specsavers! :p

Good job you don't revisit old games much and play new ones then. 4K is where it's at. You can't go back now. You will always wonder how much better it would have been on the 32" 4K Alienware :p

Caporegime
Specsavers! :p

Good job you don't revisit old games much and play new ones then. 4K is where it's at. You can't go back now. You will always wonder how much better it would have been on the 32" 4K Alienware :p

Also, makes me laugh people in the gpu subforum who say you don't need taa/AA at 4k, like **** you don't, still shimmering, aliasing, fizzling etc. galore! :cry: :p

But yes, older games I don't care about now as very rarely play any old ones, main one would be 7 days to die (which looks **** regardless of res. anyway :cry:).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Also, makes me laugh people in the gpu subforum who say you don't need taa/AA at 4k, like **** you don't, still shimmering, aliasing, fizzling etc. galore! :cry: :p

But yes, older games I don't care about now as very rarely play any old ones, main one would be 7 days to die (which looks **** regardless of res. anyway :cry:).

I will tell you one I remember that you could get away without aa. Try Tomb Raider. The opposite of that is Pray. Jaggies galore on that one.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
AA is just a byproduct of upscaling now which is great, upscaling results in better details and sharpness vs native like DLAA which can look slightly softer and lacking in the finer details that an AI image reconstruction has. SO yeah upscaling is the way forward, even at 4K, probably more at 4K as not everyone is going to be 4King on a 4090 so every framerate helps, so why not gain fps and image quality in the process.

Associate
Has anyone switched from a 1440p/144hz to the 1440/360? How was the upgrade?
Went from 180hz 1440p to 360hz - so relatively similar.

Upgrade was great, provided you have games that can hit those higher numbers. My main fps games are The Finals, OW2 and Valorant (and then a bit of COD when I want to torture myself) and OW2/Valorant easily sits at 300-360 - and the Finals then sits between 240-300 depending on whats going on.

It's definitely noticeable in terms of the increasness to how smooth everything feels but honestly, the motion clarity moving to OLED from IPS is the bigger one that you notice. I think a few of the monitor YouTube group (Monitors Unboxed, Badseech Tech, Optimum etc.) have said that OLED clarity essentially feels like one step up from an IPS refresh rate. So 360hz IPS is comparable to 240hz OLED, 540hz IPS comparable to 360hz OLED.

I love 360hz, I'd be fine if it was 240hz as I'm not talented enough at the games I play to feel like my refresh rate is holding me back (although I did hit top 6k global players on The Finals ranked last season!) but it's definitely a noticeable jump.

Caporegime
In terms of motion clarity, worth remembering on taa based games (including the use of dlss, xess and fsr) that even if your fps is lower than what you would have been getting at 1440p, the motion clarity is still better anyway due to the higher res. (this is also the case if you were to use dldsr).

Associate
What cable should I use to connect to the monitor from the video card, DP or HDMI card is 7900 XTX.

I am also using a Denon AVR 4520 for sound playback but this only HDMI 1.4a with 4K pass through.

Back
Top Bottom