Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Caporegime
I’ll post a link from Reddit which I believe mentions Cyberpunk and “flicker” interestingly there’s a link further down that specifically mentions “issues” regarding HDR Peak 1000 , that hopefully can be fixed in a firmware update ( apparently they did so with the DWF) not too sure if both things are related im a tech noob :cry: just thought I’d post too see if it was of interest or could help anyone with flickering issues in certain games .. I haven’t had chance to try yet.

Just skimmed the post quickly but as noted in comments, it's because they have effectively disabled gsync from my understanding so this will solve the issues but then you lose out on vrr.... Adaptive sync monitors and oled all face this issue to some extent:

It's definetly an issue when your fps is below 60 fps, here are 2 videos, only difference between one is dlss perf (fps around 57 fps) and the other is using ultra perf (fps is around 76) so you can see when the fps goes to 75+, the flickering is becomes less obvious. Obviously the video exaggerates the flickering but it's obvious to see/highlight the differences fps makes for this:

So in short, you really do need to make sure you are getting at least 70 fps on the aw32, which I would be wanting regardless of vrr flicker anyway......

Side note, even ultra perf looks incredible at 4k!

HDR does look noticeably better in cp 2077 than the aw 34dw.

Associate
Perhaps when this gets official gsync compatibility support via an Nvidia driver the vrr flicker will improve.
It won't ever get to the same level as to what we see on IPS monitors.

As per @Nexus18 post above and the link he shared, this is just part of the nature of the tech with OLED displays. The way to mitigate it is to keep your frames high and consistent - and in some instances monitors will have functionality that disables VRR (that's what Asus is doing with their 'anti-flicker' tech, disabling VRR at specific refresh rate windows).

It doesn't bother me, others will find it more annoying.

I don't use VRR/Gsync/Freesync for competitive games, I've always switched it off - and for single player games I just cap my fps at a level where it's most consistent so I don't have wildly changing fps which causes flicker.

The benefit of an AMD card is we are locked to to FSR, which as everyone knows, is vastly superior to DLSS in every single way so we don't ever have to deal with low frames.

Associate
@Nexus18 ahh thanks for the link and advice I’ll hopefully do some extended testing later. If the effect becomes too much for me then I’ll have to consider sending my unit back and go for a 4k IPs which I honestly don’t want to do because I love the curved OLED.. cheers mate.

Soldato
The other thing to try is switch from peak 1000 to HDR true black.

It was the TFT central video on the optimal settings for this monitor where they mentioned that peak 1000 has more aggressive dimming.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Perhaps when this gets official gsync compatibility support via an Nvidia driver the vrr flicker will improve.

As mentioned, unlikely, it would have to be a firmware update by dell to tune various things and even then, it will most likely still be there to some extent. If the monitor had a gsync module, it probably would have been less as per on the aw34dw.

@Nexus18 ahh thanks for the link and advice I’ll hopefully do some extended testing later. If the effect becomes too much for me then I’ll have to consider sending my unit back and go for a 4k IPs which I honestly don’t want to do because I love the curved OLED.. cheers mate.

No problem.

It really isn't that big of an issue though so definitely worth trying for yourself. Chances are you and others probably wouldn't notice it as it is subjective and I'm highly sensitive/picky on things like this and micro stutter (unfortunately! :(), also, cp 2077 is the worst case of it so far.

Associate
On the topic of vrr flicker. The other issue linked to this that I don't see mentioned is the black level raise that is there when the monitor can't run at native fps. Eg play a game and it's running at steady 60fps, you won't see flicker, but the near black is permantly raised.
Lg have an option to fine tune dark areas to correct the gamma raise. So if I am playing a game that is averaging 80fps, I can mitigate the raise by setting around - 4 in this option. I'm surprised this option doesn't seem to be a thing on the monitor market as the raise is very easy to detect by eye and is a slight downgrade in pq depending on your framerate.

Associate
Exactly just enjoy what it does. Rather than pick faults.
I say about the raise because it is something that can be mitigated and is actually to me a missing feature that should be on all oled. If no one mentions it, there is less chance it is added to newer models or even added via firmware. I really don't think it is nitpicking when your pq reduces the lower your fps and there is a known way to make this better.

Caporegime
Just skimmed the post quickly but as noted in comments, it's because they have effectively disabled gsync from my understanding so this will solve the issues but then you lose out on vrr.... Adaptive sync monitors and oled all face this issue to some extent:

It's definetly an issue when your fps is below 60 fps, here are 2 videos, only difference between one is dlss perf (fps around 57 fps) and the other is using ultra perf (fps is around 76) so you can see when the fps goes to 75+, the flickering is becomes less obvious. Obviously the video exaggerates the flickering but it's obvious to see/highlight the differences fps makes for this:

So in short, you really do need to make sure you are getting at least 70 fps on the aw32, which I would be wanting regardless of vrr flicker anyway......

Side note, even ultra perf looks incredible at 4k!

HDR does look noticeably better in cp 2077 than the aw 34dw.

And just to confirm, I'm not seeing things :p

No flicker on the aw34dw with 50 fps, gsync module really is better here and smooths out this fps range really well too.

Back to aw34dw for a bit now.

Caporegime
I've still yet to see flicker on mine. I'm going to try CB again and report back soon.

Definitely a noticeable difference on your DW for sure!

Yeah I was quite surprised at the difference tbh.

rtings have said they will be testing the DW model at some point so will be interesting to get some "official" testing on it.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Now that it's been a while, I have noticed one thing I don't like and it's not a problem with the QF but more an issue with the 32" size, since Windows needs to be scaled to either 125% or 150% (default), the dpi and scaling in some apps/games is incompatible. For example if I take a screenshot and upload it online of anything, then viewing the screenshot locally at 100% zoom shows exactly as I would see it at 100%, but upload it online and view it and suddenly it looks bigger.

In other apps that don't have awareness of scaling, the UX elements look big, such as in Cyberpunk's CET menu, the buttons are large format.

Setting an executable's properties tab under compatibility > DPI to "System" can sometimes resolve the issue, but not always.

This goes back to what I was saying before about 4K being the best res for a screen that's a few inches bigger which means Windows operates at 100% scaling instead of needing a default scaling factor higher than 100%. Hence the need for 39/40" QD-OLED which should satisfy that nicely.

Caporegime
Now that it's been a while, I have noticed one thing I don't like and it's not a problem with the QF but more an issue with the 32" size, since Windows needs to be scaled to either 125% or 150% (default), the dpi and scaling in some apps/games is incompatible. For example if I take a screenshot and upload it online of anything, then viewing the screenshot locally at 100% zoom shows exactly as I would see it at 100%, but upload it online and view it and suddenly it looks bigger.

In other apps that don't have awareness of scaling, the UX elements look big, such as in Cyberpunk's CET menu, the buttons are large format.

Setting an executable's properties tab under compatibility > DPI to "System" can sometimes resolve the issue, but not always.

This goes back to what I was saying before about 4K being the best res for a screen that's a few inches bigger which means Windows operates at 100% scaling instead of needing a default scaling factor higher than 100%. Hence the need for 39/40" QD-OLED which should satisfy that nicely.

Screenshots ruined! You'll defo be switching back now :p :D

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Caporegime
TNA rn;

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom