• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Put an unlisted normal product page up on the website with 2-3 models not listed on the rest of the site temporarily, send that page out to everyone's email for all the people that got their preorders refunded...if there's a way of doing that without manually emailing those people one by one (certainly should be). Not flawless as that page could still be found by someone with the right knowledge, or one of those people emailed could leak it, but if it's not public knowledge that it's happening, sorted :D
If we did that before launch we'd get lynched by AMD and if even if we did it after, those 2-3 models will end up with queues in the hundreds whereas the ones listed publicly might be much less that that.
We end up then again annoying people because;
- we chose the wrong cards
- we can't give firm ETAs
- the general public got their cards before us (because they ordered a different model)

The last thing we want to do is to have a range of fifteen cards but 90% of the pre-orders are on 10% of the models...that's what we ended up with on 3080 and that's why our phones are still flat out weeks later.

Honestly, at times it does feel like we cannot win. Miracles are not our stock & trade, however much you guys wish they were. However, much I wish they were...

The chances are we're going to be pretty much in the dark about supply, the same as the 3080 launch, so, whatever we do, we'll run the risk of annoying scores of people.

The best way, in my mind, to handle it is for Gibbo to give you all a heads up on the most likely cards to get decent stock and let you all go at it with a whole range of cards. The problem today was simple. AMD being secretive about AIB cards and launching only two lines, with almost no stock.

Permabanned
And if they want to credit me for the idea with one free 6800XT that'd be great.

:D haha

Thing is, when it comes to this scenario from a businesses perspective, how you sell them doesn't really matter. You'll sell them in their entirety no matter what, so a bit of loyalty would go a long way.
They have no loyalty beyond token gestures. They are a business and business is about numbers.

Associate
Thing is, when it comes to this scenario from a businesses perspective, how you sell them doesn't really matter. You'll sell them in their entirety no matter what, so a bit of loyalty would go a long way.

How you sell them is probably the #1 thing any online business thinks about, its called customer acquisition cost and a launch like this essentially makes it £0. Acquiring a new customer is incredibley valuable.

It depends whether Overclockers take their Net Promoter Score seriously when it comes to existing customers, for their size I doubt it.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
To be honest this seems the best bet. Maybe even a short sign up list for loyal forum members to they can register get a link to the pages to buy, at least even if the link is leaked by the time it gets into the wild en-masse hopefully everyone who signed up has scooped their card.

@ScottiB Lets make it happen.
Don't forget, this forum is public and AMD have reps here. If they even got a whiff of us breaking NDA we could be screwed, so please stop suggesting anything which involves giving anybody access to buy the cards before anybody else.

I hope you guys have a good evening. I'm just sorry that so many of you don't have a shiny new graphics card to look forwards to tomorrow.

Soldato
Don't forget, this forum is public and AMD have reps here. If they even got a whiff of us breaking NDA we could be screwed, so please stop suggesting anything which involves giving anybody access to buy the cards before anybody else.

If their Reps are here the hopefully they’ll read this, AMD please print the retail price clearly on the outside of your products.

At least this will be one annoyance off the list.

Soldato
If we did that before launch we'd get lynched by AMD and if even if we did it after, those 2-3 models will end up with queues in the hundreds whereas the ones listed publicly might be much less that that.
We end up then again annoying people because;
- we chose the wrong cards
- we can't give firm ETAs
- the general public got their cards before us (because they ordered a different model)

The last thing we want to do is to have a range of fifteen cards but 90% of the pre-orders are on 10% of the models...that's what we ended up with on 3080 and that's why our phones are still flat out weeks later.

Honestly, at times it does feel like we cannot win. Miracles are not our stock & trade, however much you guys wish they were. However, much I wish they were...

The chances are we're going to be pretty much in the dark about supply, the same as the 3080 launch, so, whatever we do, we'll run the risk of annoying scores of people.

The best way, in my mind, to handle it is for Gibbo to give you all a heads up on the most likely cards to get decent stock and let you all go at it with a whole range of cards. The problem today was simple. AMD being secretive about AIB cards and launching only two lines, with almost no stock.

I see what you're saying, rock and a hard place. Understandable.

Certainly knowing the stock of various models so that we know the most likely card to obtain makes sense. You've a thankless job in this scenario, don't envy you one bit!

Will say this though, never suggested access pre-2pm :) NDAs is NDAs, i get that.

Associate
We have some more of these spare, those who want one, I shall post on the forum tomorrow in the morning to give you a heads up before I enable the order button, so hopefully forum members can grab one if they so wish.
Thanks at least we have a second chance now all I got was CloudFlare errors when trying to order earlier today..

Caporegime
Does anyone know why AMD are not making anymore reference cards? Seems like they did the same dishonest thing that Nvidia did, release a reference card with low stock and with a low MSRP and then discontinue it, while still claiming prices start from that MSRP
Yeah I don't like that either.

Either the AIB cards will be £100+ more expensive or the ones matching reference RRP will be using garbage-tier components/cutting corners.

Associate
That makes me think of these from the cash and carry so shops can't overcharge!

ImyUn4V.jpg

They already sell that, screenshot. Looks like OCUK found a way round it.

20201118-203000.jpg

Soldato
That makes me think of these from the cash and carry so shops can't overcharge!

ImyUn4V.jpg

Yup exactly right and what I posted earlier. Many manufacturers do this to ensure their customers aren’t overcharged for their product by those seeking to make a quick buck. The manufacturers realise that allowing people to overcharge their consumers for the product is not a good thing.

I’m not picking on OcUK here, many do it, some are worse but it needs to stop.

Associate
Did anyone manage to bag one direct from AMD? I tried and got one. Paid via Paypal and its processing. Will wait and see what happens. £599.00

ehxyAu5.png

Sgarrista
Commissario

I hope you guys have a good evening. I'm just sorry that so many of you don't have a shiny new graphics card to look forwards to tomorrow.

Tell them to suck it, youre here for the end consumer boys :D

Actually ill do it. Suck it AMD and your crap NDAs. Fite me *boxing stance*

But, I wouldnt suggest breaking the NDA releasing them before required, just delay the actual launch 30 mins to an hour to give the forum members who have access to the classifieds so they get a head start over joe public :)

Eg: 2pm: Site with super secret link goes live for forum members
2:30: public launch.

Back
Top Bottom