• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Soldato
@ScottiB from the updates that you don't expect any more MBA 6800XT cards does that mean those are one and done, never to grace the pages of a retailer ever again? I wasn't aware that they were going to be a launch day only product.

I just want the base card to throw a water block on, and don't fancy paying extra for an AIB's fancy cooler that won't be used.... Given I received the "tough luck" email is that now never going to happen leaving me only with the choice of AIB or nothing?

Associate
not a single member of staff got "dibs" on any of these cards. Generally this doesn't happen.

Sorry am not having it that not one member of staff member took one home today, all retailers give staff priority but that isnt the issue. Why are you reselling cards tomorrow knowing that you cancelled thousands of orders. As the email said first came first served, even if they came in late to you. Those should be allocated to next in line not resold and have another mission with a ertailer that cannot handle the traffic. Just host your stuff on AWS, job sorted

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Sorry am not having it that not one member of staff member took one home today,
why? surely if we were all hardcore gamers who wanted the latest thing we'd probably have bought 3080/3070 before we even knew these were coming? Is it really that had to believe that most of our staff are happy waiting for deals further down the line? :confused:

I can't prove it obviously, so it's really down to whether I've given you any reason at all today to doubt what I've been saying

Associate
Considering the overall ethic and appearance OcUK, as a company (not all of the individuals in it) has shown over the last few months, I can understand people finding things hard to believe.

Soldato
sorry, percent...not pounds

Interesting.

So assuming the margin at RRP was say 5% (nowhere near double digits you said), that would be about £30 on £600 rrp. You added £80 to that, which was all your own margin, so you made £110 margin (16%) in total. I don't know what is reasonable and what is not but no wonder GPUs are so expensive when everyone is taking a cut like that.

Associate
I think the main thing that's left a bad taste in my mouth is a combination of :

Retail sites in general (not just OCUK) not being able to improve service while under these heavy loads, I spent over 40 minutes trying to get the card through checkout only to have it refunded.

The fact that now there are no options for people wanting a new AMD GPU, especially seeing as either UK distribution or AMD have artificially introduced a 4-6week delay in the AIB partner cards getting to the market in limited quantities.

I know it's very much a 1st world problem and that should give perspective. But hard not to feel let down along the way :/

Associate
Well I'm cancelling my 5900x pre-order based on the very anto-consumer practices employed today during the 6800XT launch. How can a company take money for an item then, within a few hours say they don't have enough stock and refunds will be processed "soon". Shouldn't have taken the funds if you didn't have the stock. Abhorrent anto-consumer practices with strangely high markups in comparison to other retailers.

Caporegime
Interesting.

So assuming the margin at RRP was say 5% (nowhere near double digits you said), that would be about £30 on £600 rrp. You added £80 to that, which was all your own margin, so you made £110 margin (16%) in total. I don't know what is reasonable and what is not but no wonder GPUs are so expensive when everyone is taking a cut like that.

RTo be fair, 16% is probably nothing compared to most pc stuff margins before operating costs. I would imagine ocuk aim to hit 30% minimum on everything. And that might be on the low end.

Retail in general will aim to hit 50% margins. Supermarkets are probably the least at 25%.

Which is why you see 50% off sales, ignoring operating costs, the retailer will at least be getting the money back for the actual item.

Permabanned
Well I'm cancelling my 5900x pre-order based on the very anto-consumer practices employed today during the 6800XT launch. How can a company take money for an item then, within a few hours say they don't have enough stock and refunds will be processed "soon". Shouldn't have taken the funds if you didn't have the stock. Abhorrent anto-consumer practices with strangely high markups in comparison to other retailers.

Yeah, I think this has whats gotten me slightly annoyed. I run a small business that has a website, now I will never have it get as busy as OverClockers but... even I can set a stock level and stop taking peoples money when I've ran out of what stock I have.

Associate
I feel OCUK are far more transparent than other retailers (forum communication) If I can get a product I really dont mind paying a premium infact I prefer it, so would choose OCUK, tho my two main questions have not been anwsered. 1: why are you reselling stock instead of allocation. 2: lack of members grabbing a powercolor 6800xt today compared to the sapphire 6800 xt. I was pretty quick in ordering today, faster than most.

Associate
Then why am I bothering to be here? Way off the clock, trying to answer questions, if you guys don't appreciate my honesty and trust what I'm saying?

Should I not have bothered?

The problem is it has taken two months to bother. It's not on you, you're doing a fantastic job communicating. It's on whoever made the decision to not bother last time everything went up the creek without a paddle. Or didn't even think to.

I'm sorry Scotti but the company just looks bad to a lot of people. Not that it will ultimately matter, short memories and such.

Soldato
THIS is where the problem lies. I can't give you specifics but as I said earlier, when I saw our cost price and the MSRP I thought there had been a mistake. There was definitely no health in the margin on offer for the resellers. Not even close to double figure margins BEFORE operating costs are deducted.

Heh.

Sounds like reference cards are a loss leader for benchmark purposes that AMD insists on the manufacturers making and retailers selling on threat of NO CUSTOM CARDS FOR YOU :mad:

Back
Top Bottom