• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 6800 & 6800 XT MBA LAUNCH AT 2PM TODAY - EXTREMELY LIMITED STOCK!

Soldato
That makes me think of these from the cash and carry so shops can't overcharge!

ImyUn4V.jpg

but

Screenshot-2020-11-18-204120.jpg

:p

Associate
I keep coming back to this. It's a manpower problem. Nearly a thousand customer orders that'll need to be handled manually because there's absolutely no way to implement an online priority list without breaching NDAs and allowing you to order early. As much as we'd like to do something like this, unless there's a eureka moment when we discuss it, it's not realistic, so please don't get your hopes up.

Just a suggestion in case it helps:
  • Make a list in order received of the cancellations.
  • Mail the customers to ask them if they wish to commit to buying when stock is available or would like to go elsewhere.
  • Give them until xx date to confirm via reply that they wish to take part - make it clear any NDA restrictions, time they have to pay, what happens if they don't pay etc.
  • When you get a delivery OR all up front now, run down the list and call people to sort orders OR setup a private website link with however many are allocated and send it to the first xx of customers, leaving it live for xx hours as per step 3.
  • Keep people informed. Hell, do a WhatsApp or SMS broadcast with them; as long as they consent to being included for this sole purpose, you should be OK.
  • Then repeat until backlog clears OR a big supply drop hits.
Yes i know it will take time on your side, but with communication and rules it should work and people would be happy. Stick a phone message on saying 'do not call about AMD 6xxxx series' and rotate a couple extra of the customer services team onto the task, it's not like you're going to get a 30ft container of 4,000 6xxx series GPU in one go (If you did, problem solved!).

If a manual order takes say 20 mins and someone spends 7hrs a day on it, that's 3 per hour or 21 orders per day. If you had 4 people, 84 orders per day. So, 1000 orders takes 12 days if you did it all in one go to lock those orders in. If you did it on volume of expected deliveries as they became due in, it would be spread out as and when. Get the bosses on it if you can't spare the frontline staff, make them earn their profit ;)

A competitor literally did a similar thing today, on launch day. They asked for people to register interest via email without even publishing a price on their website, then called them and setup the order on their side so the customer just had to pay (took four hours to get confirmation from them). It's how I got my card after OCUK site fell over and then i got stuck not seeing the 6800 series in the search or menu - i literally had an OCUK one in my basket but got no further :(

Soldato
Just a suggestion in case it helps:
  • Make a list in order received of the cancellations.
  • Mail the customers to ask them if they wish to commit to buying when stock is available or would like to go elsewhere.
  • Give them until xx date to confirm via reply that they wish to take part - make it clear any NDA restrictions, time they have to pay, what happens if they don't pay etc.
  • When you get a delivery OR all up front now, run down the list and call people to sort orders OR setup a private website link with however many are allocated and send it to the first xx of customers, leaving it live for xx hours as per step 3.
  • Keep people informed. Hell, do a WhatsApp or SMS broadcast with them; as long as they consent to being included for this sole purpose, you should be OK.
  • Then repeat until backlog clears OR a big supply drop hits.
Yes i know it will take time on your side, but with communication and rules it should work and people would be happy. Stick a phone message on saying 'do not call about AMD 6xxxx series' and rotate a couple extra of the customer services team onto the task, it's not like you're going to get a 30ft container of 4,000 6xxx series GPU in one go (If you did, problem solved!).

If a manual order takes say 20 mins and someone spends 7hrs a day on it, that's 3 per hour or 21 orders per day. If you had 4 people, 84 orders per day. So, 1000 orders takes 12 days if you did it all in one go to lock those orders in. If you did it on volume of expected deliveries as they became due in, it would be spread out as and when. Get the bosses on it if you can't spare the frontline staff, make them earn their profit ;)

A competitor literally did a similar thing today, on launch day. They asked for people to register interest via email without even publishing a price on their website, then called them and setup the order on their side so the customer just had to pay (took four hours to get confirmation from them). It's how I got my card after OCUK site fell over and then i got stuck not seeing the 6800 series in the search or menu - i literally had an OCUK one in my basket but got no further :(

Or they do nothing and the cards still sell out..... I know whats going to happen...

Associate
Does anyone know why AMD are not making anymore reference cards? Seems like they did the same dishonest thing that Nvidia did, release a reference card with low stock and with a low MSRP and then discontinue it, while still claiming prices start from that MSRP

We are not AMD's customers, the AIB's are. So they offer a small amount of reference cards at MRSP and then sell all their other chips to their AIB's getting paid up front. Think about who does your warranty? Who do you register an AIB card with? Hint it's not AMD. Nvidia are the same that's how the GPU market works.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
whole point of a RRP is that it already has a healthy profit margin
THIS is where the problem lies. I can't give you specifics but as I said earlier, when I saw our cost price and the MSRP I thought there had been a mistake. There was definitely no health in the margin on offer for the resellers. Not even close to double figure margins BEFORE operating costs are deducted.

Associate
Congrats to the lucky few who hacked their way to the secret product page - you are truly gifted/blessed/OCUK family & friends (delete as applicable)
Sucker might be the word considering I paid £80 more than MSRP... God knows how I managed to get one, but it's arriving tomorrow. not sure if i feel blessed that I got one or annoyed that I got ripped off. :/

Associate
THIS is where the problem lies. I can't give you specifics but as I said earlier, when I saw our cost price and the MSRP I thought there had been a mistake. There was definitely no health in the margin on offer for the resellers. Not even close to double figure margins BEFORE operating costs are deducted.

Are you saying you're getting less than £10 profit per unit before costs???

Back
Top Bottom