• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Permabanned
Unfortunately some people can't get their heads around segments and perf per $. The same people seem intent on trolling threads for cards that they, never in their wildest dreams would consider purchasing, thread ****ing all the way nonetheless.

If you visit the threads for the cards for their brand of choice however, they start sooking at the mere mention of a competitor product and claiming derailment.

At least AMD hasn't been left in a position where their channel is forced to offer a pol to determine whether people languishing on a back order queue will settle for a lessor product to fulfill demand, where demand has been outrageously amplified by a lack of supply and prices nowhere near reflect brand launch MSRP.

What a shemozzle. I guess if you want to be top dog on a new process and toss more than 2/3rds of the wafer into landfill to be first & top dog that's the price you pay. Will be interesting to see earnings & market share in a quarter or 2.

Caporegime
What mark? It sits right between the GTX 970 and GTX 980, and does better in dx12/Vulcan. Pretty awesome perf/$.

GTX 1070 and 1080 are great cards - the best performers out there currently in fact. GTX 980 Ti is about as fast as a GTX 1070, and overclocked it performs slightly better (something like ~*5%), while the gtx 1070 uses less watts. GTX 1070 delivers a lot for the money, and it is expensive right now because of high-demand. GTX 1080 is the only option right now if you want decent frames on a lot of newer games and highest settings on 1440p+.

All of 'em great cards, and for very different markets. And to make things interesting we now have the fury x, fury and nano for not much more than the RX 480 (better performance). Great time to buy GPUs if you ask me! :D

Just wanted to double check you realise I was being incredibly sarcastic and posting a counter argument to Orangey's utterly ridiculous argument.

I've never made this argument seriously precisely because every single generation has had the same situation. The 980ti at £500+ I never liked, at £350 is a genuinely good option. Personally I still wouldn't buy at this point, I think DX12 focused architecture is the only sensible choice right now. I'm getting a RX480 to tide me over till one of the Vega chips. Volta vs Navi will be interesting if Nvidia finally have a DX12 focused architecture.

Soldato
HSoqZcr.jpg

http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=453340&postcount=8

HWBot forum user Elmor had fun with LN2 to see how high can RX 480 overclocked at maximum with FireStrike. RX 480 managed to reached 1.7GHz at 1.5V achieved 15,577 GPU score struggled to reached 16,349 GPU Fury X level and impossible to reached 17,042 GPU GTX 980 Ti level at stock clock.

http://videocardz.com/59871/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-firestrike-and-3dmark11-performance

Polaris never reached Fury X performance while on LN2. Not very impressed with GlobalFoundries 14nm, it is a massive failure for RTG.

You all can forget about put it on watercool and try to overclock it to 1.7GHz. No chance for overclocker dream to reach GTX 1070 level.

Well maybe 1600MHz will be better for most...since it scores quite a bit higher than the 1700MHz OC you posted. ;)
der8auer overclocked the VRAM too hence the better score at a lower clock. The Elmore guy left the VRAM at stock. It looks like the 480 is more memory bandwidth limited at higher clockspeeds.

Watch from 5:03

2wodimo.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair, the 390 8GB was really a bargain of a card, especially when comparing to the 970 with the butchered memory interface and bus and 3.5GB+500MB of vram.

390/480 and many more cards sits in a similiar performance delta.
the 390 is still going strong due to its dx12 GCN design.
atm we have 1080p and 1440p as main cards can do without paying a lot of money to play at those resolutions. 4k today has only option with the 1080 and furyx.

However, depending on game and engine the 390 will do well with 4k also.
Which is impressive.

Caporegime
If this is true then my interest level just went from a 10 to a 0, I was only interested in the 4gb model...

Tell me about it.

The 470 is expected to be mid-August to early September from what I'm reading.

This launch has been one, long, endless wait. AIB 470s might be mid-September to October...

/sigh. Using on-board so I can't play anything atm.

Soldato
HSoqZcr.jpg

http://forum.hwbot.org/showpost.php?p=453340&postcount=8

HWBot forum user Elmor had fun with LN2 to see how high can RX 480 overclocked at maximum with FireStrike. RX 480 managed to reached 1.7GHz at 1.5V achieved 15,577 GPU score struggled to reached 16,349 GPU Fury X level and impossible to reached 17,042 GPU GTX 980 Ti level at stock clock.

http://videocardz.com/59871/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-firestrike-and-3dmark11-performance

Polaris never reached Fury X performance while on LN2. Not very impressed with GlobalFoundries 14nm, it is a massive failure for RTG.

You all can forget about put it on watercool and try to overclock it to 1.7GHz. No chance for overclocker dream to reach GTX 1070 level.

You do realize they couldn't go below freezing due to the current BIOS?

Caporegime
If the 1060 AIB pricing is £275+, AMD won't care as it won't be a competitor.

The MSRP might be £239, but what it actually ends up being sold for could be FE prices and above.

Soldato
Why do we have to have this arbitrary wait period between ref and AIB anyway. Can't they just sort it out amongst themselves so we get all the cards at once.

Back
Top Bottom