• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D retail processor has been tested ahead of launch

Soldato
So in that other thread that members (i forgot his name) 12900K pulling 165 watts at 5.4Ghz in SOTTR maks no difference to a CPU that supposed to be pulling no more than 125 watts sustained, is that what you're trying to tell me?
I dont understand what you are trying to say. In all freaking mobos, not just expensive ones, you can set your own power limits. So yes, you can set your 12700f at 165w pl2 if you want to. In ANY motherboard. I even had that feature on a 70 euros b460 pro 4 matx.

Again, expensive motherboards don't make any difference in performance. Unless of course your el cheapo mobo vrm throttles, but thats not gonna happen to a 150 euro b660, and certainly it aint gonna happen in games.

Soldato
Erm setting PL2 to 4kw and TAU to unlimited means the chip will run at max tdp for as long as the cooling doesnt burn the chip up and your psu can handle the 300watt draw. This is what some of the boards makers actually do , to make their product look better - they also auto overclock ram settings as well.

Soldato
Erm setting PL2 to 4kw and TAU to unlimited means the chip will run at max tdp for as long as the cooling doesnt burn the chip up and your psu can handle the 300watt draw. This is what some of the boards makers actually do , to make their product look better - they also auto overclock ram settings as well.
Dude... Its obvious youve never used intel and you are just throwing random stuff and hope it sticks. I have a 12900k and im running 4095watt pl1 and pl2. It doesnt exceed 80 watts in gaming and it hits around 170w in cbr23. Just because you remove the power limit doesnt mean its going to draw a gazilion watts. If you dont touch the volts its going to consume volts x amps amount of wattage. If that number is below the power limit the power limit will take precedence. Thats all it does

Soldato
Oh bless you. I suggest you watch the video above and the dozens all covering the same issue. In fact Ian Cutress covered it in depth along with level 1 techs. Changing pl1/pl2 and tau on the motherboard, by default and auto settings is a problem for motherboard reviews.

Soldato
You're in a good position to go either AMD or Intel, whatever is worth more your money.

Really this CPU makes more sense for those already on AM4 with a compatible motherboard, especially if you're still on Zen 1/+/2.

Just took a look at those benchmarks and can see why I’ve not bothered upgrading as I’m mainly 1440p/4k @ 60hz. The 6700k stacks up ok and I’m clocked past it

Permabanned
So in that other thread that members (i forgot his name) 12900K pulling 165 watts at 5.4Ghz in SOTTR maks no difference to a CPU that supposed to be pulling no more than 125 watts sustained, is that what you're trying to tell me?

I can confirm that setting PL2 to 125W stops it at 125W, as per my early testing with CBr23.

Caporegime
@Bencher 165 watts at 5.4Ghz. look at the screenshot. This CPU has a PL1 power state of 125 watts (Its given TDP), at 165 watts its 40 watts over at 5.4Ghz, the gaming benchmarks on the TPU slides are listed as "5.5Ghz", for it to be sustaining 5.5Ghz it would have to be running in PL2 mode at least, in other words MCE is enabled in those test, MCE enabled, which is the default on those motherboards, is overclocked.
So, and this is not how Wizzard would want his readers to see it, #### him, shill. It is an overclocked 12900KS vs a stock 5800X3D gimped by slow as #### RAM, it is in that way contrived to skew results.

If they said 40/4800 ddr5 brings a benefit then they’re really quite clueless. 40/4800 is absolutely awful for ddr5. You need to start hovering 6500+ and tight secondaries to get something serious out of ddr5.

Buying 40/4800 is a great way to choke an adl system. Here’s a 12900k with tuned ddr5 at the same spot as their test.

6500 1T in the same area from one of our discord guys. This is without resolution scale that 5800x3d guys used:
wtfisthis.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Key question for me is going to be how does this perform on B350, is it held back too much the chipset or could it be a nice upgrade from 1600?

B350? does your board vendor have a BIOS for these? it might be, its just a 105 watt CPU, unless the board is total trash, like £60 trash i see no reason why a B350 can't handle these.

Soldato
Key question for me is going to be how does this perform on B350, is it held back too much the chipset or could it be a nice upgrade from 1600?

I've so far come across no issues with everything from 5600x through to 5900x on both B350/X370 boards, from low end like the ASRock B350M all the way up to the Crosshair VI Hero, there's the odd few BIOS quirks that aren't performance related, but most of them have been great and the IMC's being much better means I've been able to clock up the RAM higher on the vast majority I've done as well. I am looking forward to the trying out a 3D chip, but I don't think I'll be putting one in any of my own systems anytime soon.

Man of Honour
B350? does your board vendor have a BIOS for these? it might be, its just a 105 watt CPU, unless the board is total trash, like £60 trash i see no reason why a B350 can't handle these.
Not yet but Asus have announced Zen3 (including 5800x3d) support is coming to B350. Current latest BIOS is AGESA 1.2.0.6b, I believe it needs 1.2.0.7. It (Asus B350 Prime Plus) was an £80 board about 4.5 years ago.

It shouldn't perform any different to B450 or B550, if it works. But, I haven't seen any benchmarks.
B350 lacks features from latest chipsets like PBO2, slower PCI-E, allegedly worse RAM support (although I'm less convinced by this one with IMC being based on the CPU) etc. I did read that the 5800X3D doesn't support overclocking (eh?) so hopefully VRM limitations won't be as pertinent as with other CPUs.

Caporegime
Not yet but Asus have announced Zen3 (including 5800x3d) support is coming to B350. Current latest BIOS is AGESA 1.2.0.6b, I believe it needs 1.2.0.7. It (Asus B350 Prime Plus) was an £80 board about 4.5 years ago.

B350 lacks features from latest chipsets like PBO2, slower PCI-E, allegedly worse RAM support (although I'm less convinced by this one with IMC being based on the CPU) etc. I did read that the 5800X3D doesn't support overclocking (eh?) so hopefully VRM limitations won't be as pertinent as with other CPUs.

That's an ok board, should be fine.

Asus are not very 'descriptive' in their BIOS descriptions are they? 1.2.0.6 should be Zen 3 compatible which should be all you need for Zen 3D. in fact 1.2.0.6B is the one i'm running.

I'll dig around see if can find out any more info about the 6026 BIOS for that board, i'll let you know if i do.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-B350-PLUS/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Caporegime
Okay i hate Asus, 1.2.0.6 is a Zen 3 AGESA, it is in fact the latest one, and the Asus 6026 BIOS is 1.2.0.6B AGESA but despite this Asus do not officially support Zen 3 on B350 / X370 motherboards, which is why they don't list them in the CPU support list, they don't really tell you anything you want to know in the CPU support listing, its almost as if they want you to buy a later motherboard if you want a later Ryzen CPU.

However, some redditors got Zen 3 working on Asus 300 series boards, for example https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/tj9gy2/asus_released_new_bios_6026_with_agesa_v2_pi/

@HangTime It seems to me that AMD actively want the 5800X3D to work on 300 series boards, so Asus may be forced to officially support it, as you said Asus have made an announcement, so for now just wait for AGESA 1.2.0.7.

Word of a warring, most 300 series boards do not have BIOS ROMs large enough to support Zen 3 and all the previous generations, the way board vendors get around that is by dropping support for older generations, so when you install AGESA 1.2.0.7 you may find that your 1600 no longer works in that board.

Man of Honour
Yeah I wondered if it might work with 1.2.0.6B anyway, but they haven't listed Zen3 cpus in the compatibility list yet (I suspect they just CBA updating it for old mobos).

I'm aware of that ROM issue, it does concern me a bit because basically I'd have to hold off on upgrading the BIOS until new CPU arrives, flash it, potentially have a PC that won't POST and then swap CPU out, if the new CPU doesn't work then the mobo and old cpu are kinda useless. Although it's really only a backup system, so I'm not that bothered, I haven't booted it in over a month.

Soldato
Wow I haven't followed the news... Now it's probably an explanation why the 5700X's stock level from the forest came down so quickly in just one day - TPU's review probably have convinced many "non-gamer" people not to wait for the 5800X3D.

Back
Top Bottom