• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

So you did not go to our b2b team for business pricing?? Dear me..

I didn't unfortunately. I have an account elsewhere through work so it was easier to just go there and easier for me to sell to the business without setting up new credit accounts etc. I was seriously tempted given the ram offerings here but I had to make some sacrifices to make it easy/possible.

That is pretty awesome :D Definitely don't be playing games and be doing work with almost no slowdown ;)

I will of course do a little build log and some benchmarks. :) going to dual up with ESXi 6.5 and windows 10!

Edit: Unfortunately the build wont be that exciting as it will only be rocking an rx480 8gb when I build it. I will also be throwing together a big raid setup inside and using a netgear readynas or a qnap 8 bay for lun storage. I have a load of 8TB WD Red drives and some 1tb drives so need to work out whats going to provide the IO that I need to be able to run HP's IDOL acceptably. I might take the 512 nvme out of my laptop for my main drive and just leave that on a pair of SSD's instead. Not sure on the specifics of it yet but its going to make a great imanage/Inprotech/domain lab.

Will certainly be a big upgrade for my main rig which is an old 1090T 16GB DDR3 machine.

Last edited:
Amazing. I wish I had a good enough excuse for something like that lol. I am not prepared to sell my magfed paintball gear to fund something like that though lol.

Although I've started looking for a better paid job now as been here almost 4 years in current company and I have not been impressed with the salary increases (Goes for everyone).

Snap, except I pre-ordered yesterday.
I cannot bring myself to pre-order and want to wait a few months. AMD stuff always seem to reduce in price not long after release. Although that may not be the case this time,a CPU is not high up on list of priorities so will be waiting it out.
Quite impressed by what seeing so far apart from the dropping of them easily by some testers :)

Just looking at cases etc to put this in. Something tells me that my old coolermaster ATCs 210 is not threadripper ready.

So far I think I am looking at:

1950x, Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7, G Skill Trident Z 3466 32bg, Corsair CSM 750, Corsair Hyro h100i v2 and a Crystal Series 460x Case.

What do we think of a build like this for it?

I don't think we'll see anything smaller than ATX for threadripper. Between the size of the socket and one of the main selling points being the number of PCIe lanes I don't think it would be worth the effort for the board partners to bother trying to squeeze that into a smaller space.

But we are starting to see some pretty good ryzen itx boards. So an 8 core is a realistic mini pc option for the first time.

I cannot bring myself to pre-order and want to wait a few months. AMD stuff always seem to reduce in price not long after release. Although that may not be the case this time,a CPU is not high up on list of priorities so will be waiting it out.
Quite impressed by what seeing so far apart from the dropping of them easily by some testers :)
That's true, 1700 was cheaper £30 like 2 weeks after release...I was quite annoyed.

Back
Top Bottom