• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Associate
I really don't see why anyone would buy an alienware, especially when there are so many nice boutique builders. Hell, if you want a well known name, even the HP and Dell gaming machine are fairly good these days.
Exactly, you can get something much better for equal cost or a little more with equal or better support, a lot of people obviously have tunnel vision and are basically inept from looking something up for themselves. This is one of the major reason's why we are in a major cost monopoly with tech providers which is why I'm over the moon with what AMD are doing with Ryzen and Threadripper. By year out I'll have a threadripper system to help level out the playing field and do my bit for tech consumerism.
Josh.

Associate
From that preview things to note:
chips were pre-production, they state on the forums after swapping out for the retail chips performance increased a little.
The RAM used was single-rank 2666MHz, I assume in quad channel.

I'd expect around 15% increase in performance from a oc'd system for the cpu and a little extra from better ram - so maybe 20% improvements could be had in total.

Looks to be interesting.

Caporegime
Yuck.

120mm cooler for a 180w 16 core. It then looks hot. OH REALLY.

That's just horrible form over function choice.

Yup, that case is very limiting when it comes to coolers, has space for a 120mm aio when it really needs 240mm for threadripper. They'll probably modifiy it eventually so they can use bigger rads.

Soldato
From that preview things to note:
chips were pre-production, they state on the forums after swapping out for the retail chips performance increased a little.
The RAM used was single-rank 2666MHz, I assume in quad channel.

Yep we assume quad channel but he didn't run anything more there to see if actually is quad channel. The motherboard was cheap "crap" with only 4 dimm slots.
Using 2666 instead of 3200s costs a 11% on FPS perf, and a whooping 35% fps if they had used 3466 with tight timings.
Add also the single 120mm rad to cool the poor thing :( sad 1950X inside that case. You could expect something better for $4K pricetag.

Can you imagine trying to cool a 7900X or bigger with it inside that case? Hell on earth.
---------------------------------------------

I wonder, if X399 boards support four-ranked quad channel ram kit.

Last edited:
Caporegime
As understatements go... :p

Cronie has an Alienware laptop & tower. I cringed when he first told me.

if people dont know this alienware give many devs alienware laptops.amd used to give developers cards aswell.its part of the perks obviously nvidia does this aswell.

Soldato
Indeed.
Hate that people resort to these Youtube ****** instead of just well written articles.
It's a lot easier to get a bigger fanbase and give quick summaries via YouTube than it is via text articles. Unless of course you're GamersNexus in which case you just read out a text article in a YouTube video...

Videos and articles have different target markets really. The former has a wider reach but less depth, people who are interested enough to be more informed go for detailed articles.

Associate
The difference between the engineering sample thread ripper's shown in the preview Alienware systems vs retail is about 4% increase. Which is nice.

AMD state they should score 3k in cinbench @ stock, which matches their own marketing & this vid after the swap.

I'm hoping upto around 3400 in Cinebench will be available with a 3.9ghz oc. Or possibly more on a fancy 8pack tweaked system.

I am still skeptical if the current gen of AIO's are making suitable cover of the TR4 Socket to remove the heat away quickly enough. It is a fact that the actual chips are not fully covered by the most effective parts of the coolers, and relying on the heat shield to transfer for part of the chips does not sit comfortably with me. I guess they work ok, just could and should be better. No doubt plenty more options will be available in time.

Although the dell systems are not for me, or I doubt the OCUK crowd, there are some positive things to be seen from what they have done.

Smallest TR4 Motherboard so far, which shows it can be done, and offers hope for those wanting tiny systems.
No silly RGB Fisherprice nonsense on the components.
Aspects of the build design such as the GPU brackets are good.
In my opinion, the case whilst may have been good, novel and effective for previous gens, does not have the ability to cool these HEDT systems sufficiently. Thread ripper just like X299 is likely to be a hot power hungry monster when pushed. Which is fine as they both perform awesomely in their respective scenarios.

Soldato
I'd say the Noctua coolers with a massive cold plate might be the way to go. The larger ones were designed to handle 220W Piledriver chips.

Soldato
The difference between the engineering sample thread ripper's shown in the preview Alienware systems vs retail is about 4% increase. Which is nice.

AMD state they should score 3k in cinbench @ stock, which matches their own marketing & this vid after the swap.

I'm hoping upto around 3400 in Cinebench will be available with a 3.9ghz oc. Or possibly more on a fancy 8pack tweaked system.

I am still skeptical if the current gen of AIO's are making suitable cover of the TR4 Socket to remove the heat away quickly enough. It is a fact that the actual chips are not fully covered by the most effective parts of the coolers, and relying on the heat shield to transfer for part of the chips does not sit comfortably with me. I guess they work ok, just could and should be better. No doubt plenty more options will be available in time.

Although the dell systems are not for me, or I doubt the OCUK crowd, there are some positive things to be seen from what they have done.

Smallest TR4 Motherboard so far, which shows it can be done, and offers hope for those wanting tiny systems.
No silly RGB Fisherprice nonsense on the components.
Aspects of the build design such as the GPU brackets are good.
In my opinion, the case whilst may have been good, novel and effective for previous gens, does not have the ability to cool these HEDT systems sufficiently. Thread ripper just like X299 is likely to be a hot power hungry monster when pushed. Which is fine as they both perform awesomely in their respective scenarios.

Dont forget the Alienware machine is running at 2666 ram. The difference between that and 3466 is big (~20% avg), and with custom tweaking even more.

68n8LJN.png

Associate
Ram speed can and does make a difference.

However I think a 1080p benchmark for a known very problematic old game which has huge issues with threading and core scaling, is only going to cause confusion, as those charts may not have a good indication on what people are to expect.

Whilst Cinebench is not exciting, it is stable and gives a very good indication on systems processing performance, and has a immense catalog of systems and specifications to compare against.

I wonder if thread rippers overall latency is greater or worse than intels, or regular ryzen. And does the Quad channel, make changes to the Mhz Vs low latency of ram in both productivity and gaming/VR scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom