• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
Doesn't this mean that selling X399 board second hand will be a problem, since you won't be able to easily fit the cover back on?

What are you on about.

There's the black pin protector, comes off, goes back over the pins again.

There's the transparent dummy cpu carrier that slides out, you can slide that back in again.

Associate
https://www.benzinga.com/news/17/08...tselling-intel-processors-according-to-amazon

Shares of Advanced Micro Devices AMD 0.97% spiked early Thursday after investors began taking note of Amazon.com, Inc AMZN 0.9%'s list of "Hot New Releases."

The list displays the mega-retailer's best-selling new and future releases. In the "computer CPU processors" category, AMD's Ryzen 3 and Ryzen Threadripper offerings were shown to be outpacing Intel Corporation INTC 0.41%'s Intel Core i7 and i9, respectively.

As of 11 a.m. ET, the two companies split the top 10 spots evenly, but buyers would seem to prefer the low-cost of AMD's Ryzen to Intel's products (the Ryzen 3 shows an Amazon price of $109, while the highest ranked Intel product costs $395.27).

After hitting an intraday high of $13.52, AMD shares were trading lower around $13.32 at time of publication.

Soldato
There does seem to be a lot of fanboi infighting but as someone who has no brand loyalty but just wants the best punch per pound, these are exciting times in the world of cpu's. I just wish I had a need for 16 cores :D

Associate
Having looked at a couple of the unboxings yesterday those paperweights look like a marketing masterstroke from AMD. Asking all the youtubers to do unboxing videos and putting the channels logo on the display processor, means that one of the first things people are seeing is their favourite tech tuber holding a threadripper cpu and grinning like a maniac long before any testing takes place.

Soldato
how does the 1900x differ from the 1800x, would it be worth the extra £££ for the motherboard, they are both 8c.

More PCIe lanes and quad channel memory.

Also comes with a higher stock clock but I'm pretty sure everything amd is selling atm caps out at ~4GHz.

If you are not connecting enough stuff to use extra pcie lanes and dont have programs which benefit from quad vs dual channel memory then it's just a more expensive cpu and motherboard vs the 1800x

Soldato
More PCIe lanes and quad channel memory.

Also comes with a higher stock clock but I'm pretty sure everything amd is selling atm caps out at ~4GHz.

If you are not connecting enough stuff to use extra pcie lanes and dont have programs which benefit from quad vs dual channel memory then it's just a more expensive cpu and motherboard vs the 1800x
cheers fancied a change may wait to see if anyone is selling an R7 setup on MM if they are upgrading to TR.

Soldato
What are you on about.

There's the black pin protector, comes off, goes back over the pins again.

There's the transparent dummy cpu carrier that slides out, you can slide that back in again.
In the video he says that, he damaged the pins when trying to put the protective cover back on. Admittedly we don't know the full story but assuming he knows what he is doing (considering that he got a review copy this is a fair statement), it implies to me that putting on the protective plate back on is quite a tricky task. Assuming he had difficulty putting it back on how much trouble will the average PC builder have?
You could just use the dummy cpu carrier and leave the cover off I guess.

Soldato
The average pc builder is totally safe.

They won't be going anywhere near the costs of a threadripper pc and its 4000 pin socket. It's only cheap compared to intel but it's still stupid money.

He screwed up twice, once by bending some pins then by trying to repair it and bending more.

It's not complicated, he made a mistake. Then another one. Now he might not have a board to review with.

Soldato
So the plan is to get a Threadripper 1920 which should be priced between the 1900X and 1920X ($549->$699->$799???) and then overclock to as close to 4Ghz as possible without crazy volts.

Resulting in a chip that probably wipes the floor with Intel's 7900X ($999).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Today I decided to pre order threadripper 1950x, gigabyte mobo and 32gb memory. Sadly not from ocuk as work are paying. This will be my new vmware home lab and I'm epically excited!

Back
Top Bottom