• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
I totally disagree.
Most people on this forum who purchase TR will be gamers yes.
Most people globally who purchase TR will be professional users. Data folk. Mathematicians and major Excel users, Universities, physicists, professional model creators etc. They will far outweigh the gamers.

No, the professional users will mostly be purchasing Xeon workstations like they always have or the new Epyc systems.

The main user base of X399 and X299 will be gaming focused enthusiasts, just like it was for X99, X79, X58, etc.

Man of Honour
I disagree with you all! People are simply going to buy it, regardless of workflow, just to say.... "shhh dude, cmon now, I'm over here trying to rip some threads."

Caporegime
a big wave of people who use highend stuff like this is gaming and streaming recording.where you need the power plus you have the editing aswell.twitch and youtubing is increasing so fast its unreal.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Bottom line is that those that buy TR just want to have it in their forum sig and to brag about it :p ;)

Sure, why not :)

Or some might do the kind of work that will be able to actually put those 16 cores to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Much higher, and you cross into the necessity for stability.
What does that mean?

I'm already saturating the cores available on our Ryzen 1700 workstations and our workflow completion times have dropped on average over 20% vs our previous 6700k systems, so I'm looking forward to pushing 16 cores on threadripper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
I think that even I will be able to stretch threadripper's legs in a vm lab. If at some point all cores are not 100% loaded then I have failed.

Soldato
My 1950X goes for gaming and what ever else will use it. Bit rendering, bech and fiddling with it :) Is a new tech and want to put my hands on it. I am what is called an enthusiast that's actually given something this time to be enthusiastic about.

And that replies the question some ask me, "since you have X99 board, why not buy second hand 6950X for half the cost of new X399 build?".

Cost is something that I have justified. I'm working hard, spending another 3-4h commuting, and my business (contractor) makes enough to buy me that system :)
You see is a motivation to keep me going and not pulling sick days when not in mood to work. :)

And also is my 41st bday present to myself along side a Vega64.

Soldato
What does that mean?

I'm already saturating the cores available on our Ryzen 1700 workstations and our workflow completion times have dropped on average over 20% vs our previous 6700k systems, so I'm looking forward to pushing 16 cores on threadripper.

It means overclocking becomes less of a pursuit and more of a concern when stability is paramount. Plenty of platforms with higher core counts available already.

Man of Honour
A single Oracle database on a TR architecture, tied to a Teradata warehouse with a data ingest task would do that. Not exactly a hard task :p

Pretty much, HP's IDOL Ingest should load it up nicely. Seems to max out my dual xeon server so shouldn't have much trouble bringing TR to its knees :)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

It means overclocking becomes less of a pursuit and more of a concern when stability is paramount. Plenty of platforms with higher core counts available already.

Oh, I didn't say anything about overclocking, so you response seemed a bit out of context.

Back
Top Bottom