• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
It's a shame AMD will never be able to crack the office/workstation market in the way Intel have.

Why? They did in the past. And if their new stuff is able to give vendors great price/performance again then they will again. Once Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc jump on we will probably see aggressively marketed AMD workstations and office computers once more.

Man of Honour
Why? They did in the past. And if their new stuff is able to give vendors great price/performance again then they will again. Once Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc jump on we will probably see aggressively marketed AMD workstations and office computers once more.

Couldn't agree more, if price / performance is there businesses will buy. If anything most businesses I have ever worked at are tied to brands far less than your average consumer. I am already looking to EPYC as our next core infrastructure upgrade.

Man of Honour
Oh dear. Well, I guess that speaks words for what the true appeal is here

To be fair, I didn't follow you either, I even read it a couple of times thinking I may be being thick. Nothing was implied by calling it an enthusiast platform, owning or using an enthusiast platform does not imply that the machine will be overclocked by default.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Oh dear. Well, I guess that speaks words for what the true appeal is here

OK, we'll retrace it a bit.

I said:-

Sure, why not :)

Or some might do the kind of work that will be able to actually put those 16 cores to work.

Which was in response to someone saying the only reason why someone would buy threadripper would be to show off.

Then you responded with:-

lol - very few. Hence the demand up until now on an enthusiast platform hasn't called for it. 8 to 10 cores is ample for most users here. Much higher, and you cross into the necessity for stability.

Re your first sentance, I've already suggested that I can take advantage of 16 cores. It's your second sentence that doesn't make any sense - it's just not in context with anything that has been said previously. Much higher what? Cores? What does having more cores have to do with stability (or lack thereof if that's what you were inferring)?

When overclocking these new HEDT chips my concern is not with Ryzen, its with Skylake-X, 90c + temps, 400 watts, burning motherboard VRMs, scorched socket pins.....

Exactly. I nearly went for a 7820X system but the thermal and power issues drove me away - I've delidded once before (my current 4770k) but this time around I've decided to support a company doing things properly. That and plus the gimped PCIE lanes and dead end sockets that Intel like to impose on it's consumers were another nail in the coffin for X299 for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man of Honour
Right lads, I wonder if somebody can help. Need to work out what PSU I need. I have ordered the following:

New Parts: 1950x, 64gb G.Skill Trident Z 3466mhz 8x8gb (added another 32gb over what I was going to have), Gigabyte AMD X399 AORUS GAMING, Hydro H100i.

Old Parts: rx480 8GB, 4x256gb SSD's raid 0, 4x8tb WD red.

Basically given the kit what power supply should I be looking at? I guess my coolermaster 650 isnt going to cut it?

Man of Honour
Right I shall spend around 100-150 on a 750/850 watt then I think. Probably wont bother with clocking it other than to see what it can do tbh. I imagine I will be running stock with the best possible mem timings/speed I can manage. I went with the faster memory to get as close to 3200 as I possibly can at the best timings without really knowing if I will get close at all. Time will tell I guess :)

Caporegime
When overclocking these new HEDT chips my concern is not with Ryzen, its with Skylake-X, 90c + temps, 400 watts, burning motherboard VRMs, scorched socket pins.....

Most of those factors come with high voltages which is more of a problem with Ryzen, Intel mainly run hot due to the use of TIM which I would guess is intended to deter dangerous voltages. You can run an Intel at 4ghz on 1.1V whereas the equivalent Ryzen needs 1.3V+ so I'd be more worried about longevity on Ryzen. 1.3 volts was a lot in the 28nm days nevermind 14nm.

Caporegime
Most of those factors come with high voltages which is more of a problem with Ryzen, Intel mainly run hot due to the use of TIM which I would guess is intended to deter dangerous voltages. You can run an Intel at 4ghz on 1.1V whereas the equivalent Ryzen needs 1.3V+ so I'd be more worried about longevity on Ryzen. 1.3 volts was a lot in the 28nm days nevermind 14nm.

Different voltages are just down to different architectures, There are plenty of 1.4v + 7700K's knocking about, thats very common and i'm pretty sure you would agree thats not a problem, to get SkyLake-X to 4.7 volts in the region of 1.3 are also necessary for SkyLake-X, you can't have it "bad on the AMD chip" but not on Intel?

Ryzen even when overclocked uses around 100 Watts while Skylake-X over 300 watts, Power = heat and 300+ Watts of it through the socket pins is a huge amount, yes they can burn.

1500829514296.png

Thats what can happen to your SkyLake-X when you overclock it ^^^^^^ thats not voltage, thats massive power consumption, the sort of power consumption that makes AMD's 6 year old Bulldozer look incredibly power efficient.

Last edited:

IFW

IFW

Associate
Game/software developer here - although the target is mostly console the build process is always on a PC host, plus I am interested in PC development for home.
Will happily use whatever works, it's nothing to do with the brand - but I am really grateful to AMD that finally there is competition.

Code compilation scales proportionally with cores, so the more the better.
Wanted a Ryzen build for home, but inital problems and stock shortages made me to wait long enough to hear about Threadripper and wait a bit more, just in case the rumours were true :)
Also waited for X299 results, which are not very convincing, unless one is prepared to delid the cpu etc. - not for me.
So unless TR turns out to be bad in the reviews, it's X399 this time for me, because so far it looks to be signicantly better value for money than Intel's X299 offerings. Of course YMMV.
Don't think it's likely though, so already sent an email to OC about ordering a TR config :)

A year ago I was thinking of upgrading to a 6-8 core home system, today I am able to purchase a 16 core system, running at higher clocks, good IPC for the same price - except for the outrageous RAM price increases and the video card shortages, but it has nothing to do with the CPUs.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Huurgh, the urge to buy now, wish EK would hurry up with blocks and Vega would arrive (and then EK would hurry up with blocks lol).

Yeah, I have it all on pre-order but without a cpu block I won't be building anyything.

Associate
Yeah, I have it all on pre-order but without a cpu block I won't be building anyything.

I'd love to as well but I've not pre-ordered. As I want the Asrock Taichi board and a EK block there's no point yet. So far I have my case and I've done some measurements for rads, chosen my fans and I've done a bit of design work. Waiting for the stuff to come in stock now!

Back
Top Bottom