• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

He means that the higher the amount of cores the more likely stability (and efficiency) becomes far more important because of the nature of its use. He's correct, and working as the IT dept for a design company, I concur. Just didn't say it in the best way.

Oh. Well I don't think a cpu based on server architecture is going to have any great issues with stability and our Ryzens in our lab have been rock solid.

Man of Honour

Weirdly mine is showing tomorrow delivery also. I would be really surprised if it got here by tomorrow.
Back in 2014 bought a Super Flower Leadex 1000W platinum to go with my 295X2 for £140 from OCUK. Best investment ever. 3 years later is still serving me well after having replaced the other components numerous times (5 CPUs, 4 motherboards, 4 GPUs), and going for 5th complete system (Vega, 1950X and board).

Don't cheapen out on your PSU. Is possibly the only part you wont change many years and worth every penny to spend money on.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...us-platinum-power-supply-black-ca-039-sf.html

It will cover up an overclocked 1950X and a Vega. Anything less might not. :)

Good advice. The 650 coolermaster in my machine is the same, its been in there for longer than I can remember, its more than 7 years at least since that's how long i've been running my current cpu which is a 1090t and I know it was running the q6600 before that. It would certainly be nice to have one of these newfangled modular jobbies and to be honest £130 isn't bad if it lasts as long as this one has. This will also be the first build ive done in a case other than my current coolermaster atcs 210 which I bought back in 2002. Exciting times :)

Man of Honour
Not much use without a mobo either!

The whole order has a delivery date of tomorrow. I am almost sure that they told me it wouldn't be with me before Monday next week on the phone. I can tell you for sure that if the wife rings me tomorrow saying there is a delivery I wont be hanging around in the office, ill be spending the rest of the day/week working from home :)

Associate
The whole order has a delivery date of tomorrow. I am almost sure that they told me it wouldn't be with me before Monday next week on the phone. I can tell you for sure that if the wife rings me tomorrow saying there is a delivery I wont be hanging around in the office, ill be spending the rest of the day/week working from home :)
What motherboard did you buy?

Man of Honour
What motherboard did you buy?

Kit List:

1 x Gigabyte AMD X399 AORUS GAMING 7 Gaming Motherboard
1 x AMD RYZEN Threadripper 1950X 16 Core TR4 Processor
2 x G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB Kit DDR4 3466MHz RAM
1 x Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
1 x Crystal Series 460X RGB Compact ATX Mid-Tower Case

Of the 3 choices available the asus was too pricey and I simply wont buy the tat msi put together and try to sell as premium hardware so I was left with the Gigabyte. Having had a number of their boards in the past I settled with that, really I wanted the Tiachi but i'm impatient.

Man of Honour
I have just also noticed that the gigabyte board has different specs all over the show :S some places say it only supports DDR4 @ 2667 then other places say it supports 3600+ Hmmm I just hope that the g.skill 3466 kit allows me to push it to 3200 speeds :)

Associate
They state E-ATX but they are actually CEB the same as the X99-E WS motherboard. ;)
It would be interesting to see how those mobos fit in different cases. Phanteks Evolv for example accepts EATX but only up to 264, while Asus boards are 269mm. Also many cases bend just before the rubber grommets, so there is no way to mount the board and cover cable holes slightly:/ not sure

Associate
Kit List:

1 x Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Of the 3 choices available the asus was too pricey and I simply wont buy the tat msi put together and try to sell as premium hardware so I was left with the Gigabyte. Having had a number of their boards in the past I settled with that, really I wanted the Tiachi but i'm impatient.

So how does it work with the size of the CPU cooler compared to the size of the CPU? will it impact the cooling?

Back
Top Bottom