• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
i've not had enough time and i'm not going to lie the lack of proper coolers till the other day has really hindered any actual testing but 8pack is on it quite hard atm

Soldato
Is there any point to overclocking the Threadripper?
Only half way through the GamersNexus review but it seems not. The boost clock is 4 GHz and XFR is 4.2 GHz, and you're not going to get over 4 GHz all-core overclock anyway, so in some cases stock settings will actually be faster. Basically just get good enough cooling for the boost clocks to hold and you're done.

Permabanned
Gamers Nexus true to form.

30 minutes long, 20 minutes on mostly single threaded old games, 5 minutes on power consumption, and a couple of tests somewhat relevant to the CPU, total waste of 30 minutes, it tells you nothing you want or need to know.
AdoreTV will be the review to watch.... Should be a lot more informative......

Soldato
Only half way through the GamersNexus review but it seems not. The boost clock is 4 GHz and XFR is 4.2 GHz, and you're not going to get over 4 GHz all-core overclock anyway, so in some cases stock settings will actually be faster. Basically just get good enough cooling for the boost clocks to hold and you're done.
a couple of reviwers have had 4.1/4.2 chips but the jury is out on if that was silicon lottery atm i'd say given that ryzen 3.8/3.9 is more common than 4.0 it will be the same with TR

Man of Honour
Aye threadripper is now added to my order :) Just looks to me like board is holding the order back. So all we need now is Motherboard > Delivery > Profit.

Added a Seasonic P860 Platinum PSU for good measure!

Soldato
I know the gaming benchmarks mean little in the grand scheme of things with TR, but remember that most use nVidia cards with the benchmarks. Remember the nVidia + Ryzen performance issue.

Associate
No BF1 benches in there, is that a bit odd considering its ability(i think) to use as many cores as it can get ? Or is there no standard BF1 benchmark ?

Soldato
This is interesting from pauls hardware

free image upload api

This is in "game mode" so it has 1 ccx disabled, essentially making it a ryzen 7.
He said the threadripper was noticeably smoother than the i9.
This has been said before with ryzen vs i7 and we put it down to having more cores to deal with background tasks
but here the threadripper has less cores active (game mode) and was smoother. This must be architectural.....

Notice the 0.1% lows. This is with a core and a clock disadvantage.

Caporegime
No BF1 benches in there, is that a bit odd considering its ability(i think) to use as many cores as it can get ? Or is there no standard BF1 benchmark ?

They are all using pretty much the same list of some what obscure games, all of them not the best with Ryzen, Interesting, looks like Intel are also sending out "benchmarking guidelines"

Back
Top Bottom