• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Looks great for productivity/pro stuff, smashes that. Not worth it for gaming. :)

It's not like you CAN'T game on it though - it's probably 4790k/6700k level - hardly a slouch gaming wise ;-) And it all (cpu selection) becomes a bit irrelevant at 3440 ultrawide / 4k anyway.

Is there much truth around a non X 1920X chip coming? Seen a few comments on videos and forums mentioning it with a $250 price difference to fill the gap between the 1900x and 1920x.

There is a 1920 coming but price is anyone's guess.

I reckon:-

1950x = 1000
1950 = 900
1920x = 800
1920 = 700
1900x = 549

There is a 1920 coming but price is anyone's guess.

I reckon:-

1950x = 1000
1950 = 900
1920x = 800
1920 = 700
1900x = 549

It's all speculation though, the only confirmed additional CPU is the 1900X. I don't know how much overhead it costs to produce additional SKUs but there has to be a point of diminishing returns. If you have £800 to spend on a CPU, an extra £100 for 4 more cores is a bit of a bargain.

The Hardware.fr review is really interesting:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/967-9/compilation-visual-studio-mingw-w64-gcc.html

Look at the Lightroom and DXO Optics results.

Yeah, recent patches in the Adobe suite have really started to improve Zen performance. Good to see class leading performance in Visual Studio and GCC compile as well.

I to a risk pre-ordering Threadripper but based on my usage profile, I thought it might be worth it. Reviews are definitely validating that choose thus far.

Oh, and if you want to game AND stream, Threadripper kicks ****:-

cLjAc1v.png

OK - so Threadripper launched and in stock for dispatch today BUT no motherboards in stock anywhere and no waterblocks for another 10 days.

Sigh.

OK - so Threadripper launched and in stock for dispatch today BUT no motherboards in stock anywhere and no waterblocks for another 10 days.

Sigh.

Yeah, EK said on their facebook that they'll be shipping the blocks on the 18th.

Gives me a chance to read detailed reviews about each board before deciding, at least :)

Back
Top Bottom