• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
No BF1 benches in there, is that a bit odd considering its ability(i think) to use as many cores as it can get ? Or is there no standard BF1 benchmark ?

There's no standard benchmark that matters (64 player multiplayer). But some do run custom runs, more will turn up i'm sure.

He said the threadripper was noticeably smoother than the i9.
This has been said before with ryzen vs i7 and we put it down to having more cores to deal with background tasks
but here the threadripper has less cores active (game mode) and was smoother. This must be architectural.....

Notice the 0.1% lows. This is with a core and a clock disadvantage.

I noticed immediately from 3930K @ 4.4GHz to 1800X at stock how much smoother quite a few (not all) games were.

Caporegime
Hopefully we get some more reviewers/users commenting on smoothness, at the end of the day as long as the framerates are still acceptable I'll take a CPU that's consistently smooth over one that puts out more average and max frames because what's the point if it's accompanied by stutter every now and then.

Associate
Hmm. The game mode/creators mode stuff, has really made me think twice.

I think what I really want is an 1800x with more PCIe lanes. Or an 8 core 7700k with more PCIe lanes.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Wow, tagline from Ars Technica review:-

AMD Threadripper 1950X review: Better than Intel in almost every way

AMD need to print that off and put it on posters everywhere!

Welcome back AMD, it's great to have you back in the party!

Caporegime
I understand him perfectly and i'm not Scottish. ^^^^^

There's no standard benchmark that matters (64 player multiplayer). But some do run custom runs, more will turn up i'm sure.

I noticed immediately from 3930K @ 4.4GHz to 1800X at stock how much smoother quite a few (not all) games were.

When they first reviewed the 1800X a lot of reviewers reported that despite often having lower frame rates was actually a smoother experience, these days some still report on that but most have gone back to "here be a chart, bigger numbers = better"

Thats a shame because a lot of these reviewers are also too lazy to make side by side video reviews with the OSD running so you can see for yourself what is going on.

Associate
That's a REALLY good point!
If I do go threadripper I think I would go for 1950x because it means I get 8 cores before I have to cross a NUMA boundary, 1900x would be worse than 1800x in some tasks (due to the NUMA split).

If I thought 8700k would have more PCIe lanes I might consider that.

I just don't know! It's like nothing is worth moving from my 4790k for!

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom