• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD ThreadRipper ***

Soldato
OP
Lonely_Physical_Cattle-max-1mb.gif

Soldato
This is a real monster, Intel just got KO'd xD

Would take the extra 40% performance+ in every day progs, over 5% in gaming any day.

Nice to have AMD back again.
Difficult one. Everyday apps like browsing, Word which don't need the performance? I'd prefer not to compromise on gaming myself, even though I'm not a heavy gamer.
Two PC's still rule :), one for gaming, one workstation.
Agree. good to have some competition and hope AMD do get the sales and profits to go with it.

Soldato

Yeah it's been some major BS with intel TDP

I'm interested to see what exactly the 18 core intel chip hits seeing as it's downclocked to 2.6 base to meet TDP... even though it seems TDP is being exceeded anyway.

I'm expecting a crazy power draw when people try to OC it.

Associate

Yeah it's been some major BS with intel TDP

I'm interested to see what exactly the 18 core intel chip hits seeing as it's downclocked to 2.6 base to meet TDP... even though it seems TDP is being exceeded anyway.

I'm expecting a crazy power draw when people try to OC it.

TDP is really only roughly equivalent to actual power consumption, the TDP really just refers to the amount of heat that needs to be dissipated. Intel have been sticking the same TDP figures on most of their chips for years, regardless of actual performance

Caporegime
I can't see Intel having anything out this year that would make any threadripper owner consider moving.

Apart from those who go threadripper and primarily game then realise Intel is still a fair bit ahead in some titles for that.

Seen the same thing in the past people downgrading from the Intel enthusiast platform to mainstream stating they just weren't getting the use from it.

Soldato
TDP is really only roughly equivalent to actual power consumption, the TDP really just refers to the amount of heat that needs to be dissipated. Intel have been sticking the same TDP figures on most of their chips for years, regardless of actual performance

Its hugely misleading to label 140W then draw 230W when your competitor is able to label 180W and then stick to 180W draw.

Deserves to be called out. Might even be a deliberate lie to present a better power consumption or cooler requirement than reality.

Soldato
Its hugely misleading to label 140W then draw 230W when your competitor is able to label 180W and then stick to 180W draw.

Deserves to be called out. Might even be a deliberate lie to present a better power consumption or cooler requirement than reality.

Agreed it should be called out.

Doesnt make much different to a home user, but for a large installation spanning hundreds / thousands of CPUs the energy savings would be huge.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Apart from those who go threadripper and primarily game then realise Intel is still a fair bit ahead in some titles for that.

Seen the same thing in the past people downgrading from the Intel enthusiast platform to mainstream stating they just weren't getting the use from it.

No one who primarily games is getting threadripper. You don't spend 1k on a cpu not knowing what you're going to use it for.

Soldato
Difficult one. Everyday apps like browsing, Word which don't need the performance? I'd prefer not to compromise on gaming myself, even though I'm not a heavy gamer.
Two PC's still rule :), one for gaming, one workstation.
Agree. good to have some competition and hope AMD do get the sales and profits to go with it.

Ignoring the casual nature of the beast, gaming is where performance really matters, not seconds shaved IMO. But then if one can justify the massive concurrent usage that a 16 core CPU can provide to themselves, then more power to you.

Caporegime
No one who primarily games is getting threadripper. You don't spend 1k on a cpu not knowing what you'regoing to use it for.

The 1920x is £799.99 not 1k and as demonstrated over the years people have paid that for Intel enthusiast level CPU's then downgraded. It's infeasible to think there won't be people who's primary usage on these won't be gaming, with other tasks coming below that in terms of hours spent.

Soldato
No one who primarily games is getting threadripper. You don't spend 1k on a cpu not knowing what you're going to use it for.

^^^ This, that said if I had the money I'd buy one, not sure quite what I'd do with it but hey that's never stopped me in the past.

You won't stop enthusiast buying new kit but they are savvy enough to know that buying just for gaming (even if that's what it ends up being used for) isn't its best use case.

For me and many others it's a hobby, if you want one buy one.

Back
Top Bottom