• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Ree

Ree

Associate
Yes I'm using the Dark Rock Pro 4 on the 3900x. The biggest difference for me is the noise. That Wraith would scream like a...wraith when the CPU was under full load. Now my PC is far quieter. Temps for me go from 40-55 Idle to 77-85 degrees full load but depending on what load it's under. Certain CPU instructions/tasks give off more heat, but gaming from what I've seen will go up to 82. Can highly recommend this cooler.

yeah the bequiet fans are top notch for noise i'll be changing out all my noctuas for them at some point been really impressed with how good they are.

Associate
Without watching the video, I'm guessing on 1 chip vs 1 chip when in reality to get an accurate picture it should be in the hundreds.

realistically there isn't going to be much difference between a large sample size. They are in effect the same chips - they behave differently under stock coolers and are within insignificant distance in games just like the 3700x/3800x. Buying the 3600x or the 3800x is just silly. price difference could go on a better graphics card. 3600 + 5700xt will be better than a 3600x + 5700.

Soldato
Yes I'm using the Dark Rock Pro 4 on the 3900x. The biggest difference for me is the noise. That Wraith would scream like a...wraith when the CPU was under full load. Now my PC is far quieter. Temps for me go from 40-55 Idle to 77-85 degrees full load but depending on what load it's under. Certain CPU instructions/tasks give off more heat, but gaming from what I've seen will go up to 82. Can highly recommend this cooler.

What I'll be using on 3600x or 3700x. Not sure how much extra heat the 3900x kicks out.

Soldato
Great!! Thanks everyone!! Now just to see if I can shoehorn the dark rock 4 pro into a InWin 101C case. I've seen it has been done on another forum but it must be really close.

Soldato
realistically there isn't going to be much difference between a large sample size. They are in effect the same chips - they behave differently under stock coolers and are within insignificant distance in games just like the 3700x/3800x. Buying the 3600x or the 3800x is just silly. price difference could go on a better graphics card. 3600 + 5700xt will be better than a 3600x + 5700.

Whilst true for the most part, there sometimes is. There's a user here who has a dud 3600 that can't even do 4.2 ac no matter the voltage. 100 mhz min difference and up to 150 mhz compared to 3600x. They're so cheap anyway, I'd not bother risking a dud.

Soldato
Well my x58 p6t deluxe board still seems to be working, more than can be said for my asus x99-s that lasted less than half as long.

At least i have a working system for now, downgrade times :p need to figure out what I'm gonna get next.

Associate
Whilst true for the most part, there sometimes is. There's a user here who has a dud 3600 that can't even do 4.2 ac no matter the voltage. 100 mhz min difference and up to 150 mhz compared to 3600x. They're so cheap anyway, I'd not bother risking a dud.

HU, as a disclaimer, said that their result my not be representative since it is only based on one sample. We also have a member that was able to oc the 3600X.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...overclock-4425mhz-ddr4-cl16-4200mhz.18859903/

I bought a 2700 cos it was only 200$ open box over a year ago. I envy some 2700X owners that can oc theirs to 4.3-4.4GHz.

Caporegime

Can't seem to get mine over 4.2Ghz, it feels like a 4.2Ghz wall, no problem getting it up there but after that it's impossible to get it to even start a Cinebench run, instant reboot....

You know what, it feels like deliberate firmware locking, not at all a limitation of the CPU.

Caporegime
Soldato
Can't seem to get mine over 4.2Ghz, it feels like a 4.2Ghz wall, no problem getting it up there but after that it's impossible to get it to even start a Cinebench run, instant reboot....

You know what, it feels like deliberate firmware locking, not at all a limitation of the CPU.

If it can't even do Cinebench it's not even close.

Soldato
Well my x58 p6t deluxe board still seems to be working, more than can be said for my asus x99-s that lasted less than half as long.

At least i have a working system for now, downgrade times :p need to figure out what I'm gonna get next.

My dad has that mobo, originally mine. Awesome board.

Think he put a 980 in it recently.

Soldato
Still plenty fast enough regardless.
@ 4.1Ghz it's strong in multi threaded, but in single threaded it's only a good 40-50 points more than a similar clocked Ryzen 2*** in Cin R20.
Coming from Humbugs R5 1600 I bet it's a nice step up, but you could have had the performance a few years ago for not a lot more.
For people like me who've had years of 2600k/3770k and 4770k use it's a good uplift but not quite enough to warrant the upgrade.
I think if we saw easy an 4.5ghz all core at 1.25v-1.3v then it would have been different as cinr20 Ryzen 3000 @4.5ghz = st 520-535, that is a strong single threaded score, but not at 1.45v
It's a shame the silicon is maxed out as the clockspeed performance scaling is showing real potential.

Associate
Just a heads up in case this helps anyone else. Since I installed the latest chipset drivers I hadn't got the correct power plans and also ryzen master was giving me headaches and not starting.

I followed this https://community.amd.com/thread/241036

and then after I deleted that I uninstalled ryzen master and the chipset drivers I then deleted everything in C:/AMD and reinstalled. I now have all the correct plans and Ryzen master is working fine. Also my Ryzen Balanced plan has the minimum processor state at 0% compared to the one that was installed from previous that had 90% everything seems to be working much better now.

EDIT. This all seems to have improved things temp and boost wise. now not hitting over 70 degrees in battlefield (generally sits at 60 degrees apart from odd spike to 69) idle volts now at 0.9 with odd reading of 0.2 and idle freq down to 1.8ghz. All core boost in BF5 now 4.267ghz

Much happier with everything now.
What is the Minimum Processor State on yours now with Ryzen Balanced? Mine shows as 0%

Associate
Yes mine is now 0% on the one prior it was 90%, the 0% came with the new drivers but for whatever reason they wouldn't install correctly until I completed the above steps
From what I read it is intended to use 90% as the minimum, because when they are not in use they go to sleep instead. However that should not be causing the CPU to Idle on high voltage, so they recommended to use Windows on 85% if your Ryzen Balanced is not working.

Back
Top Bottom