• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Iirc AMD usually programs schedulers for Microsoft then submit them for inclusion into the OS, maybe they're just running late with it? Bit mad really if they are...

Possibly. Something strange is going on.
I know he was under time constraints but it would interesting to know if it's a Windows 11 thing seeing as he recently did this video...

That shows Windows 11 performance has fallen behind Windows 10 since release.

8.1 was peak Windows. That’s the closest Microsoft come to whipping its pile of garbage into shape.

Last edited:
That's what I meant earlier, if the Linux performance increase is 20% you would assume the UNIX performance will be too, so they are designing chips for servers, Sony, valve etc. Is that at the expense of Windows users, or is there something wrong with what Microsoft are doing.
Puzzling, isn't it.
So what is the general feeling here? Upset that the performance is so poor or glad that we don't have to pay for a new upgrade yet?

I'm still waiting on the 9800X3D but unless they pull a blinder on that one I will find it hard to justify moving from my 5800X3D for another gen.
Just puzzled honestly. Whats the purpose of these chips? Server? Something doesn't add up. I'm quite happy to sit on my 7800x3d for a while yet honestly, my bank balance certainly is.

I'm due an upgrade but will drop in one of the newer GPUs first, which, in turn, will force the new CPU, sooner or later.
Depending on how Arrow Lake turns out, it'll likely be that or a Zen 4 chip, maybe something like a 7700 non-x, since that should do well enough in some productivity/single-threaded apps.
The only other thing is to stay on AM4 for now and drop in the 5950x.

Last edited:
I haven't watched this yet but i can guess what's in it and he's thinking what i am then he's right. This was a rushed launch, these things needed another 6 months, maybe, in the oven.

They've had nearly 2 years to get these out so its not like they've rushed them out, what I do find odd though its that the X870 boards were not launched simultaneously which seems odd given that the chipsets are just a refresh of the B650E/X670E with a few extra so most of the groundwork should have already been in place.

what I do find odd though its that the X870 boards were not launched simultaneously which seems odd given that the chipsets are just a refresh of the B650E/X670E with a few extra so most of the groundwork should have already been in place.
It might be just as simple as vendors and AMD already had big stock of current chips and motherboards to sell first. Why rush new one then, it's not that they have to beat the competition. And most people will most likely not see any real difference between current and new anyway.

Does anyone have any idea when Arrow Lake is expected as I haven't been following. I managed to get a ncase M2 today for my new build, it should ship 06/09, couple of weeks to arrive + customs so Im not expecting to be building until late Sept, early Oct.
This gives AMD time to sort out the 9950X and the new X870's mobo's will be out by then as well which might help. Im wondering if I need to wait much more to see how that might turn out, though as Im going SFF, im not sure I want the power draw of an Intel chip

They've had nearly 2 years to get these out so its not like they've rushed them out, what I do find odd though its that the X870 boards were not launched simultaneously which seems odd given that the chipsets are just a refresh of the B650E/X670E with a few extra so most of the groundwork should have already been in place.

Two rather important points. This chip was planned for TSMC 3nm. News broke that TSMC couldn’t ramp 3nm production about 12 months ago~

AMD don’t make chipsets. ASMedia make those.

I dont know what you're current PC specs are so please excuse my ignorance, but..

If you had been on an 58/7800X3D for a while now, you'd be like most of us that are on these chips already and really not give a crap with whats going on right now :p :D

Last edited:
Two rather important points. This chip was planned for TSMC 3nm. News broke that TSMC couldn’t ramp 3nm production about 12 months ago~
Maybe they should have delayed it then rather than launch something no better than the current chips, isn't their server stuff supposed to be on 3nm?
AMD don’t make chipsets. ASMedia make those.
I never said AMD did but given they have had nearly 2 years and the new boards are using the same P21 chipset combos as the B650E and X670E you'd have though AMD could have coordinated a simultaneous launch like intel seems to manage every year.

Well there goes the windows theory out the door, Zen5 is showing massive core to core latency even in Linux

Wouldn't be surprised if this where all Zen5's missing gaming performance went to

Should be easy to test - benchmark some single threaded games, like Crysis - as long as the game only runs on a single core and doesn't switch cores then the latency issue doesn't matter and you should see a large performance gain over Zen4, that is if latency is the issue with gaming performance.

Last edited:
Maybe they should have delayed it then rather than launch something no better than the current chips, isn't their server stuff supposed to be on 3nm?

I never said AMD did but given they have had nearly 2 years and the new boards are using the same P21 chipset combos as the B650E and X670E you'd have though AMD could have coordinated a simultaneous launch like intel seems to manage every year.

Zen5 was delayed, the laptop parts were expected to arrive first.

Intel’s laptop and GPU parts are on TSMC 3nm. I’m not sure about Turin.

Back
Top Bottom