• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

So, who is going to buy a Ryzen 9 CPU? :)
I probably will, Im on the fence slightly, my case won't arrive until Sept, X870 isn't out until Oct so if (and it is a big IF) I can be patient I might wait for Arrow Lake to see if how that shapes up and make a decision.
I have the money and the upgrade itch is strong, the timing is bad, we are at that time where we are just in the cusp of multiple refreshes, god knows what Im going to do for gfx, Im currently on a pair of R290's in x-fire from 2011.
Now I have saved and have enough, I just want to spend it..
I’m in a similar position, have a new case, psu, AF 360 aio and a couple of NVMEs sitting around for a few months now, hard having to wait but once all the new stuff is out I’ll have all the information to make the best purchase.

I probably will, Im on the fence slightly, my case won't arrive until Sept, X870 isn't out until Oct so if (and it is a big IF) I can be patient I might wait for Arrow Lake to see if how that shapes up and make a decision.
I have the money and the upgrade itch is strong, the timing is bad, we are at that time where we are just in the cusp of multiple refreshes, god knows what Im going to do for gfx, Im currently on a pair of R290's in x-fire from 2011.
I'm probably going to but the 7950X3D seems a no brainer pretty much rather than the 9950X.

I picked up a 9950x late last night after work, may install over the weekend, all depends, I wouldn't mind tinkering with curve shaper, that does look interesting.

Overclockers was a good bit cheaper, than anywhere else I looked online.

Last edited:
After a quick Google search, it looks like mesh is supposed to produce lower latency than ring bus, but maybe it's a software problem somewhere
It might be Agesa related bug or something in Windows or something else went wrong. Intel seems to be using mesh only in sever CPUs for a reason -what that reason might be exactly is unclear now, though

Even if the 7600X beats the 5800X3D, which it doesnt because 4% over 50 games really isnt noticeable and the 5800X3D even beats Intels flagship 13th/14th gen in a few games (check GN and Kitguru benchmarks).

Point is 7000 series was an entire new platform, faster RAM, faster Bandwidth, faster SSD speeds over AM4.. the 9600X isnt that new platform jump.
AMD managed a 23% gaming uplift from zen 2 to zen 3 even before the Vcache arrived and that was using the same 7nm process on the same platform.

I’m in a similar position, have a new case, psu, AF 360 aio and a couple of NVMEs sitting around for a few months now, hard having to wait but once all the new stuff is out I’ll have all the information to make the best purchase.
Same. Got all bits bought but hanging on for x870, 9800x3d & info on which ddr5 to get. Frustrating as hell

Last edited:
AMD managed a 23% gaming uplift from zen 2 to zen 3 even before the Vcache arrived and that was using the same 7nm process on the same platform.
Yer but when Zen 2 came out wasn't the 8700k well above 10% faster for gaming? At least in the best cases anyway, don't know if that changed after a bit. And don't forget the 8700k came out nearly 2 years earlier, same year as Zen 1.

Zen was still a fairly new tech back then and all the potential showed through its progress.. maybe its starting to run out of gas now.. or do you think Zen will reach 10-11-12-13-14-14+-14++? lol

Zen 3 changed from 16MB L3 to 32MB per-CCD, this had a big impact on performance. AMD has been using L3 to deliver performance improvements for a long time now. The amount of area used for L3(not 3D) is crazy.

Update: Not a bug, the exact same behaviour occurs in Windows 10 - log in as super admin and you see the same performance, this is just how Windows works: you bypass security features and your framerate goes up.

You also don't need to use super admin, just right click on your games and run as admin - you get the exact same performance boost, and even better this boost applies to Intel too . Just run all your games as admin and you will get higher performance and this applies to Windows 11, 10 and 7 and applies to AMD and Intel

Again, not a bug, AMD trying to pass blame

Last edited:
Update: Not a bug, the exact same behaviour occurs in Windows 10 - log in as super admin and you see the same performance, this is just how Windows works: you bypass security features and your framerate goes up.

You also don't need to use super admin, just right click on your games and run as admin - you get the exact same performance boost, and even better this boost applies to Intel too . Just run all your games as admin and you will get higher performance and this applies to Windows 11, 10 and 7 and applies to AMD and Intel

Again, not a bug, AMD trying to pass blame
Update from who ?

It'll certainly be interesting if they decide to give the 9900X3D/9950X3D 2 CCD's with 3D cache! I think they'll need to at this point...
That might review poorly as the non 3D cache CCD achieves higher clock speeds for productivity work. Also there's not much that would benefit from the second CCD having 3D cache is there? Games will all run on a single CCD.

It'll certainly be interesting if they decide to give the 9900X3D/9950X3D 2 CCD's with 3D cache! I think they'll need to at this point...

Insta buys from me. Quietly sneak it out under the AM5 EPYC brand, make buyers sign an NDA + pay £10,000 in escrow refundable once the parts are EOL.

Back
Top Bottom