• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

I dont know what you're current PC specs are so please excuse my ignorance, but..

If you had been on an 58/7800X3D for a while now, you'd be like most of us that are on these chips already and really not give a crap with whats going on right now :p :D
Not sure what having a decent cpu already has to do with not caring about progress, besides if you paid a premium and bought into to AM5 early you likely did so for an upgrade path which is not looking so great right now.

If you had been on an 58/7800X3D for a while now, you'd be like most of us that are on these chips already and really not give a crap with whats going on right now :p :D
Oh, I definitely give a crap, it's fun to watch unfold. Also, very curious findings like the ones about potentially performance left on the table without administrator account on Windows, or inter-core abnormal latency etc. :)

Last edited:
Well there goes the windows theory out the door, Zen5 is showing massive core to core latency even in Linux

Wouldn't be surprised if this where all Zen5's missing gaming performance went to

Should be easy to test - benchmark some single threaded games, like Crysis - as long as the game only runs on a single core and doesn't switch cores then the latency issue doesn't matter and you should see a large performance gain over Zen4, that is if latency is the issue with gaming performance.
Sounds like a potential issue with microcode and new Agesa incoming. Just very weird if they missed it before, but then again they increased cache potentially because of this exact reason? But that would mean it wouldn't be visible in standard use aside specific latency tests. Many questions to be answered! :)

Edit: I just found a post showing AMD slides seemingly confirming they changed inter-core topology in Zen5 from ringbus to mesh. The latter has been used in servers for large number of cores CPUs and it indeed could explain higher inter-core latency than previous topology from Zen4. In other words, it would seem Zen5 based Ryzen CPUs are structured more like server CPUs for productivity and not for gaming. I wonder if this is what AMD meant saying x3D chips will have more changes than just cache added this time - different inter-core topology? But that would mean they would be segmenting Ryzen CPUs between productivity (and general use) Vs purely gaming ones even more than before. And possibly slap even higher prices on x3D ones.

Last edited:
Edit: I just found a post showing AMD slides seemingly confirming they changed inter-core topology in Zen5 from ringbus to mesh. The latter has been used in servers for large number of cores CPUs and it indeed could explain higher inter-core latency than previous topology from Zen4. In other words, it would seem Zen5 based Ryzen CPUs are structured more like server CPUs for productivity and not for gaming. I wonder if this is what AMD meant saying x3D chips will have more changes than just cache added this time - different inter-core topology? But that would mean they would be segmenting Ryzen CPUs between productivity (and general use) Vs purely gaming ones even more than before. And possibly slap even higher prices on x3D ones.

Can you link that post here please?

AMD slides seemingly confirming they changed inter-core topology in Zen5 from ringbus to mesh
no point in doing it with 8 core CCD
I bet they are considering it for future 16-core and 32 core CCD designs

Last edited:
here is written : https://www.techspot.com/news/10422...0% efficiency gains, which simply aren't true.

In a nutshell, the Zen 5 architecture wasn't designed with gaming or general desktop usage in mind. AMD developed it for Epyc server processors, which is why server and development workloads generally saw impressive gains. However, AMD has still heavily marketed Zen 5 towards gamers. They absolutely want you to buy it, and they made several gaming-related performance claims that simply weren't true, hence our disappointment with the product.

looks like they wanted gamers to buy it but didn't design it for them

So maybe it all comes down to the X3D versions.

Not sure what having a decent cpu already has to do with not caring about progress, besides if you paid a premium and bought into to AM5 early you likely did so for an upgrade path which is not looking so great right now.
Oh, I definitely give a crap, it's fun to watch unfold. Also, very curious findings like the ones about potentially performance left on the table without administrator account on Windows, or inter-core abnormal latency etc. :)

I meant not giving a crap about the gaming performance uplift, its really quite small even for a 5800X3D user.

Of course we watch whats going on, we're all nerds here :p

Sounds like a potential issue with microcode and new Agesa incoming. Just very weird if they missed it before, but then again they increased cache potentially because of this exact reason? But that would mean it wouldn't be visible in standard use aside specific latency tests. Many questions to be answered! :)

After a quick Google search, it looks like mesh is supposed to produce lower latency than ring bus, but maybe it's a software problem somewhere

Hyperbole aside, it's not like zen5 is bad for gaming. It's slightly better than zen 4. It's just not as good as the zen4 x3d chips or 13th/14th gen intel when they aren't killing themselves.
So far zen 5 is just very meh, and disappointing. And honestly would have likely gone down better if they were cheaper. But the chips themselves aren't terrible.

I feel like people get a little carried away sometimes, both in hyping stuff up and in trashing stuff that doesn't live up to expectations.

Hyperbole aside, it's not like zen5 is bad for gaming. It's slightly better than zen 4. It's just not as good as the zen4 x3d chips or 13th/14th gen intel when they aren't killing themselves.
So far zen 5 is just very meh, and disappointing. And honestly would have likely gone down better if they were cheaper. But the chips themselves aren't terrible.

I feel like people get a little carried away sometimes, both in hyping stuff up and in trashing stuff that doesn't live up to expectations.

It didn't live upto expectations from what AMD slides made you think it would be , so it's warranted I welcome the criticism or would you rather let them get away with it

Last edited:

The thing is it's often also not better and use more power than Zen4. So it really isn't great in any way shown tbh at min. It literally should have not been released honestly unless there magic update when the mobos drop and that (hich can't believe will be after AMD saying reviews are correct) and even if we're they should have just waited to release them together not in part mess they have.

Also on that note averaged out 7600x beat the 5800x3D in games, albeit average of 4% over 50 games but still and at basically same power consumption.

You'd say with that as a next gen you'd expect the 9600x tbe possibly be at 7800x3D then in similar vein. Especially as AMD sold performance improvements similar and clearly are nowhere near.

Also on that note averaged out 7600x beat the 5800x3D in games, albeit average of 4% over 50 games but still and at basically same power consumption.

You'd say with that as a next gen you'd expect the 9600x tbe possibly be at 7800x3D then in similar vein. Especially as AMD sold performance improvements similar and clearly are nowhere near.
Even if the 7600X beats the 5800X3D, which it doesnt because 4% over 50 games really isnt noticeable and the 5800X3D even beats Intels flagship 13th/14th gen in a few games (check GN and Kitguru benchmarks).

Point is 7000 series was an entire new platform, faster RAM, faster Bandwidth, faster SSD speeds over AM4.. the 9600X isnt that new platform jump.

Yes but it needs to be somewhat better to warrant upgrading. However those with 5xxx series systems it might be worth upgrading as it’s been a few years. Think I’ve had my 5800X/X570 system for 3 years now, it’s still playing 1440p games just fine

So, who is going to buy a Ryzen 9 CPU? :)
I probably will, Im on the fence slightly, my case won't arrive until Sept, X870 isn't out until Oct so if (and it is a big IF) I can be patient I might wait for Arrow Lake to see if how that shapes up and make a decision.
I have the money and the upgrade itch is strong, the timing is bad, we are at that time where we are just in the cusp of multiple refreshes, god knows what Im going to do for gfx, Im currently on a pair of R290's in x-fire from 2011.
Now I have saved and have enough, I just want to spend it..

Back
Top Bottom