• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

That might review poorly as the non 3D cache CCD achieves higher clock speeds for productivity work. Also there's not much that would benefit from the second CCD having 3D cache is there? Games will all run on a single CCD.

The only thing having v cache on both ccx's do is being able to get rid of the driver, bios and windows workaround required to make sure the game uses the right ccx. You'd be paying more for convenience and not more game performance

Last edited:
Ta Da!

CacYYZ1.jpg

Might hold off installing for now, a full tear down is needed of my rig to install the chip, wanna see if agesa updates release, chipset drivers or windows optimisations make things better.

Purchased the 9950X will install it tomorrow and have to do a fresh install of Windows.

Now have to make loads of notes on how to setup Windows accordingly - Kind of wish my 14900K after 8 months didn't start constantly crashing.

Purchased the 9950X will install it tomorrow and have to do a fresh install of Windows.

Now have to make loads of notes on how to setup Windows accordingly - Kind of wish my 14900K after 8 months didn't start constantly crashing.

It takes about 15 minutes to install Windows, and put on the chipset and GPU drivers, then do the updates. It's not exactly hard, or long winded.

It takes about 15 minutes to install Windows, and put on the chipset and GPU drivers, then do the updates. It's not exactly hard, or long winded.
And every other bit of software you have to download, install and configure?
Installing Windows is the easy bit (well not now I have to remove the GPU disconnect all the non-boot NVMes, install Windows, reconnect all the NVMes and reinstall the GPU), it's everything else that takes the time. All the programs the utilities the plugins and then setting everything up it what takes the time for me.

And every other bit of software you have to download, install and configure?
Installing Windows is the easy bit (well not now I have to remove the GPU disconnect all the non-boot NVMes, install Windows, reconnect all the NVMes and reinstall the GPU), it's everything else that takes the time. All the programs the utilities the plugins and then setting everything up it what takes the time for me.
I have everything (drivers, games, apps, personal stuff etc) on an external hard drive which i connect via USB3.2 to transfer everything over. Saves so much time.

And then do all the tweaks to make Windows 10/11 less annoying like restoring the right click context menu, taming updates behaviour, etc. etc.

Me too, but you still have to install and configure things and sometimes download newer versions or updates since you added it to your backup.
I do all that before I reinstall tbf (make sure drivers are up to date on my backup drive).

I do it so frequently I have everything back up and running within 60 minutes usually.

Last edited:
And then do all the tweaks to make Windows 10/11 less annoying like restoring the right click context menu, taming updates behaviour, etc. etc.

I dunno, I just use an unattended file. Take a couple mins to make, then just whack it in the installer.

EDIT: No idea why people make things so hard for themselves tbh.

Last edited:
I dunno, I just use an unattended file. Take a couple mins to make, then just whack it in the installer.

EDIT: No idea why people make things so hard for themselves tbh.

Personally I do a lot more custom tuning than that and some tweaks can't easily be automated with 10 or 11, 7 was much better in that regard with not needing silly tweaks just for making basic features work in a non silly way.

Yeah I know it can be a bit daunting if you don't have things backed up and prepared beforehand.
I have it backed up but my prep is usually missing something, like I'll have it all on my NAS, but then I'll forget I need to install network drivers or something so it can't see my NAS.

But there's:
Windows install and configure all the setting (temp directories, swap files, location of Documents, Downloads, Videos, Start Menu, Desktop, etc.)
Drivers and associated utilities, which might also need some configuration
Fan control software, temp monitor software, overclocking software (which might be the same thing) and configuring them.
Anti-Virus and setting exceptions
Firewall and setting up rules
Handbrake, configuring and importing profiles
OBS, config and importing scenes
IDEs and such
Web browser, config and importing favourites, open tabs and installing and configuring plugins
E-mail client install and config
Copying over documents, downloads and save games (which vary in location based on the game)
Then you have to install your launchers (Steam, EPIC, Battle.net, EA, Ubisoft, GOG, Battlestate, etc.), configure them
Then re-install all the games (even if they're installed you need to get the launchers to realise they're there) and configure them, install mods, etc.
VoIP apps and such (install + config)
VR and VR games (install and setup)

And even them I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

Personally I do a lot more custom tuning than that and some tweaks can't easily be automated with 10 or 11, 7 was much better in that regard with not needing silly tweaks just for making basic features work in a non silly way.

That auto unattend allows you to automate pretty much anything you'd want to do including PS scripts, registry tweaks and various other things, if you've not actually looked at it you should. Assuming you wanted to save time?

Deleted, vbs and hvci were disabled on the compared run which were enabled on the other

One thing i will say the 9950x is a hellish cool running chip, idle and load, updated to bios v2204 on my x670e hero and can load expo 6000mhz and traning is super quick, even pushing 6200mhz at 1:1 is no problem. will continue testing.

Starfeild is showing a very decent uplift compared to my 7950x, 110fps average vs 85fps before.

Last edited:

Even switching to AMD windows will handle the change just fine so you can avoid reinstalling if you don't want to.

Back
Top Bottom