• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Yes. I swapped from intel to AMD and then also changed AMD chip 3 times and motherboard twice afterwards on the same windows install. l Only recently after changing jobs have I taken the time to reinstall and I never had an issue.

Benchmarks were always within the suggest results.

Last edited:
I think the point was that it had been suggested (but not in any way substantiated) by reviewers that a fresh install was necessary for some reason to get correct performance with these chips

If they've been having crashes due to a dodgy CPU then a clean install may be a decent idea in this case. I've been pretty lucky with doing major swaps, went from a 5950X, to 5800X3D on AM4 with over a 3yr old install of windows 11 to AM5 with a 7950X3D and the 3D cache driver is parking my cores immediately when starting a game and this is two months on with the same install and multiple chipset driver updates.

Some may may have had issues on a clean install and old install so that's not great with the 3D driver not parking cores properly. But Windows 11 it seems have a bug with Ryzen on AM4 and AM5 that MS need to fix with a future patch because they run a bit worse when not on a full unrestricted admin account, ridiculous bug I hope they soon fix. Wonder if that affects Intel as well though.

If they've been having crashes due to a dodgy CPU then a clean install may be a decent idea in this case. I've been pretty lucky with doing major swaps, went from a 5950X, to 5800X3D on AM4 with over a 3yr old install of windows 11 to AM5 with a 7950X3D and the 3D cache driver is parking my cores immediately when starting a game and this is two months on with the same install and multiple chipset driver updates.

Some may may have had issues on a clean install and old install so that's not great with the 3D driver not parking cores properly. But Windows 11 it seems have a bug with Ryzen on AM4 and AM5 that MS need to fix with a future patch because they run a bit worse when not on a full unrestricted admin account, ridiculous bug I hope they soon fix. Wonder if that affects Intel as well though.
Actually yes, I hadn't read that they had been having crashes etc. probably a very good idea to clean install in this case.

Yes. I swapped from intel to AMD and then also changed AMD chip 3 times and motherboard twice afterwards on the same windows install. l Only recently after changing jobs have I taken the time to reinstall and I never had an issue.

Benchmarks were always within the suggest results.
I’m with you all day long. I went from a 3570k to a Ryzen 1700 then 2700x to a 5800x3d no fresh installs for me.

Starfeild is showing a very decent uplift compared to my 7950x, 110fps average vs 85fps before.
Interesting that you're seeing a 30% uplift in starfield as that was one of the games HW unboxed had the largest regression in vs the 7950X.

Screenshot-838.png

Interesting that you're seeing a 30% uplift in starfield as that was one of the games HW unboxed had the largest regression in vs the 7950X.

Screenshot-838.png

It's a odd result for sure, just surprised when I launched it and saw a decent uplift, 4k, a mix of high and ultra settings, game felt much smoother too, though on the other end I can't get cyberpunk 2077 to launch, I can select my save but upon loading it I get 75% done and insta crash to desktop :(

Last edited:
It's a odd result for sure, just surprised when I launched it and saw a decent uplift, 4k, a mix of high and ultra settings, game felt much smoother too, though on the other end I can't get cyberpunk 2077 to launch, I can select my save but upon loading it I get 75% done and insta crash to desktop :(
Probably still a few bugs that need ironing out, have you tried reinstalling cyberpunk?

I just don't know what to do (those of you that know me might not be surprised by that statement).
My plan was to get the 9950X3D. I don't do too much that would really need all the extra cores, but I do have FOMO and I just sorta want it.
I realise the more sensible plan is to wait for the 9800X3D, which is what I did with the 7000 series. I wanted the 7950X3D but knew the 7800X3D was more sensible. This might also mean I can avoid a Windows (and everything else) re-install.
But the results we've seen so far have been a little underwhelming and I'm worried the X3D chips might not do much better, so I believe there's a least one person selling a 7950X3D in the MM that also seems like it might be a good deal (especially if the 9950X3D isn't much better).

If the 9000X isn't that much of an improvement over the 7000X, I seriously doubt the 9000X3D will be that much better than the current 7000X3D ones. It will probably be the same performance increase if any as its the same CPU with just extra cache.

Deleted, vbs and hvci were disabled on the compared run which were enabled on the other

One thing i will say the 9950x is a hellish cool running chip, idle and load, updated to bios v2204 on my x670e hero and can load expo 6000mhz and traning is super quick, even pushing 6200mhz at 1:1 is no problem. will continue testing.

Starfeild is showing a very decent uplift compared to my 7950x, 110fps average vs 85fps before.
I think Starfield likes CPUs with strong IPC which the 9950X has vs other processers. Even the intel parts often come out close to or just ahead of the X3D parts in Starfield.

Last edited:
I think Starfield likes CPUs with strong IPC which the 9950X has vs other processes. Even the intel parts often come out close to or just ahead of the X3D parts in Starfield.
Previous Bethesda games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 really love fast memory. On the Fallout 4 CPU benchmark thread, Zen 4 3D leads but Intel often does very well especially with tuned memory. Unsure what, if anything, has changed with Starfield but the Bethesda engine is really old tech these days - but if it ever gets replaced the number one requirement for any replacement is Creation Kit and modding support as Bethesda base games are always flawed.

On some of the AT Zen 5 threads, there was talk that the internal bandwidth to the L3 wasn't updated and it's now potentially a bottleneck in certain tasks. Looks like there are plenty of low hanging fruit for Zen 6.

Last edited:
If the 9000X isn't that much of an improvement over the 7000X, I seriously doubt the 9000X3D will be that much better than the current 7000X3D ones. It will probably be the same performance increase if any as its the same CPU with just extra cache.
I'm just hoping the multi CCD chips have fewer gaming issues. To me they always felt a little bit let down by only have the 3D vcache on one CCD. They were always a bit held back at gaming and non-gaming workloads.

I got all my games to run in the end, while in the menu of each i changed to window mode and 2560x1440p, loaded a save and could play, then quickly changed back to 4k and hey presto no more CTD

A few of my most played games, 4k, settings ultra unless stated

Cyberpunk 2077 i seem to be around 5-7fps more than before, sitting around 97fps on the 9950x. (mix of ray tracing settings, frame gen off)

Horizion Forbidden West i seem to be around the same fps in all honesty but the game feels much better, dunno maybe the 0.1% lows are much better.
(high settings to get it to work, had shader compile issues initially)

Starfield as before a decent uplift, explored Akila City and the outskirts, getting a few dops to around 65fps in heavy crowd areas, but out in the wilds a lovley 120 - 130fps, and again the game just feels much smoother like Horizon (mix of ultra and high settings)

Destiny 2 same performance but thats due to the old game engine it uses, i upped the frame cap to 180fps from 144 and it was very close, a steady 172fps average. (graphics settings set to max)

The boot times are absolutely savage too on the 9950x and bios v2204, apart from changed to expo II and setting 6200mhz speed, i'm seeing 16.1s total boot time which is stupidly quick, my 7950x would take around 48s to get into windows before, its a very welcomed change :D

Last edited:
I got all my games to run in the end, while in the menu of each i changed to window mode and 2560x1440p, loaded a save and could play, then quickly changed back to 4k and hey presto no more CTD

A few of my most played games, 4k, settings ultra unless stated

Cyberpunk 2077 i seem to be around 5-7fps more than before, sitting around 97fps on the 9950x. (mix of ray tracing settings, frame gen off)

Horizion Forbidden West i seem to be around the same fps in all honesty but the game feels much better, dunno maybe the 0.1% lows are much better.
(high settings to get it to work, had shader compile issues initially)

Starfield as before a decent uplift, explored Akila City and the outskirts, getting a few dops to around 65fps in heavy crowd areas, but out in the wilds a lovley 120 - 130fps, and again the game just feels much smoother like Horizon (mix of ultra and high settings)

Destiny 2 same performance but thats due to the old game engine it uses, i upped the frame cap to 180fps from 144 and it was very close, a steady 172fps average. (graphics settings set to max)

The boot times are absolutely savage too on the 9950x and bios v2204, apart from changed to expo II and setting 6200mhz speed, i'm seeing 16.1s total boot time which is stupidly quick, my 7950x would take around 48s to get into windows before, its a very welcomed change :D

Weird my 7950x is around 10-12 secs to get into windows. 48s sounds like your motherboard was training the memory on every boot

Last edited:
Weird my 7950x is around 10-12 secs to get into windows. 48s sounds like your motherboard was training the memory on every boot

No matter if i enabled memory context restore in the bios on the 7950x, post times were silly long, i came to terms with it eventually, but now with everything updated to v2204 and the 9950x, even 6200mhz 1:1, post is mega quick

So I've been having a bit of a play with my 9700x this morning. I don't know about other manufacturers, but my msi b650 tomahawk on the latest bios just has a 105w tdp button. So I've switched that on, enabled expo (6000mhz cl30) left everything else on auto and run a few tests.

In cinebench r23 instead of hitting power cap of 88w it's now reporting 114w. The temps have gone up from about 65° to right around 90°, which I'm not terribly happy with, but my score went up from about 19800 to about 21600 which is pretty solid.

I don't really have a gpu to properly push it in gaming, but in the tests I have run the reported power usage isn't really getting anywhere close to the old 88w cap. So I suspect outside of some very niche extremely highly threaded examples gaming performance will likely not be very different.

Assuming this is what the out of the box experience of a 105w version of the chip would be, it's interesting. It definitely would have boosted scores for the heaviest multithreaded workloads. But I don't think it would have made very much difference to anything else.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom