• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Just ran r23 on mine, bear in mind my windows wasnt refreshed and it well lived but scored 39388, Temps in the mid 70's but i have full custom loop cooling, hoping for 40k but i'll take around 39k :)

total cpu power draw was 200.02w during the test average clocks 5.58ghhz, windows power set to balanced preset

makes me want to re-install windows and see :D i'm doing it wont be long XD

Last edited:
thats more like it, same as before 200w load

ZOKQLsM.png

i'm seeing 16.1s total boot time which is stupidly quick, my 7950x would take around 48s to get into windows before, its a very welcomed change
Did you update the BIOS before you installed the new CPU? That could explain the improved boot time.

Weird my 7950x is around 10-12 secs to get into windows. 48s sounds like your motherboard was training the memory on every boot
10-12 secs sounds like you have memory context restore and power down mode enabled which causes stability problems for a lot of people.

Did you update the BIOS before you installed the new CPU? That could explain the improved boot time.

i was on bios v2124 prio to updating to v2204, even then with the 7950x boot times were still slow, but the 9950x its totally diffrent, not changed anything to do with context or power down mode, just expo II and altered my ram speed from 6000 to 6200mhz, i get code 15 for 2 seconds and then it boots into windows.

i was on bios v2124 prio to updating to v2204, even then with the 7950x boot times were still slow, but the 9950x its totally diffrent, not changed anything to do with context or power down mode, just expo II and altered my ram speed from 6000 to 6200mhz, i get code 15 for 2 seconds and then it boots into windows.
If they did manage to fix the boot time without the stability problems that memory context restore + power down mode cause then that would be a very welcome change. I dual boot with my main OS (encrypted) and gaming OS, so the long boot times are very annoying for me.

thats more like it, same as before 200w load

ZOKQLsM.png
Score + ~1.3k, power - ~55W (from a 7950x), that's not bad. I don't like that it needed an OS install, for me that a lot of work. It would need to be a much larger upgrade to go through the hassle of a fresh install. AMD need to sort that out, the game bar thing sucks.

Score + ~1.3k, power - ~55W (from a 7950x), that's not bad. I don't like that it needed an OS install, for me that a lot of work. It would need to be a much larger upgrade to go through the hassle of a fresh install. AMD need to sort that out, the game bar thing sucks.

it wasnt a full install i choose to keep my files, after 20 or so mins i was back in, after all the drivers and programs were back, gave r23 another go and a decent uplift even though hwinfo was up, guess i lost score a bit, recon it would crack 41k, being so close before.

everything closed, just r23 and yeah, just over 2.9k more at 55w extra power
:)

WMXmUFb.png

Last edited:
If they did manage to fix the boot time without the stability problems that memory context restore + power down mode cause then that would be a very welcome change. I dual boot with my main OS (encrypted) and gaming OS, so the long boot times are very annoying for me.

It is a weird one, granted a different system, but my Lenovo Legion Go using the Ryzen Z1 Extreme boots from cold to a fully loaded Windows in under 5 seconds - I've experience of several Zen 4 systems where you are lucky if it is sub 50 whatever you do (with the system working properly), while others are under half that.

it wasnt a full install i choose to keep my files, after 20 or so mins i was back in, after all the drivers and programs were back, gave r23 another go and a decent uplift even though hwinfo was up, guess i lost score a bit, recon it would crack 41k, being so close before.

everything closed, just r23 and yeah, just over 2.9k more at 55w extra power
:)
It takes me a full day to setup my work stuff (Hyper-V, VS Studio and setup all my code folders for C++). Its a pain to do and a reset install that keeps data does not help. I will be skipping Zen 5, hopefully Zen 6 will be a drop-in upgrade that does not use game bar.

New Intel CPus launching early October, so that's likely when AMD will launch X3D

X3D is where it's at! Current Zen5 CPU's probably be half price when X3D launches too - it'll probably go down as the fastest depreciating CPU of all time :cry:

Can't wait to pickup a 9950X3D to replace my 7950X3D!

Had a weekend to play with 9700X
took some fiddling, still not getting ddr5-6400 stable. And motherboards "high bandwidth timings" fail when they didn't on previous CPU. Guess bios needs work.
other than that, fclk 2200 works fine, 6200 tuned timings work just as with 7700x

and cpu itself still has reserves
so far quick PBO, +200 clock and -30 all core CO is stable. -35 failed on one core
Feels like chip can go beyond 5750MHz

Had a weekend to play with 9700X
took some fiddling, still not getting ddr5-6400 stable. And motherboards "high bandwidth timings" fail when they didn't on previous CPU. Guess bios needs work.
other than that, fclk 2200 works fine, 6200 tuned timings work just as with 7700x

and cpu itself still has reserves
so far quick PBO, +200 clock and -30 all core CO is stable. -35 failed on one core
Feels like chip can go beyond 5750MHz
Have you tried curve shaper? Kitguru had good results with it, similar scores as OC but less power usage.

Have you tried curve shaper? Kitguru had good results with it, similar scores as OC but less power usage.
Ryzen Master automatic way, not yet

manual test and try will always get a better result
next I want to work with per core curve optimiser to find rough limits and then explore what new curve shaper areas can do

Back
Top Bottom