• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

interesting conversation regarding Zen 5, servers, Intel and more

Yeah, i got through most of that.

A lot of interesting stuff said, but the freshest in my mind is him talking about all these vulnerabilities in both Intel and AMD, AMD have just had a fairly serious one found against them, which this server guy is not happy about but when pushed on the matter he said something interesting.

Comparing the situations Intel wiped out 43% of performance in one go and right across the range, from Sky Lake to Raptor Lake, or their server equivalents, now while this new one for AMD does that too its the first time that's happened, usually if something effects Zen 2 it does not effect Zen 3 or 4, even if these vulnerabilities were discovered long after those CPU are out, so there is clear track record there of AMD always trying to improve the security of their CPU's, each generation is better future proofed than the last. That doesn't exist with Intel and for AMD its 12% performance lost to vulnerabilities in 4 generations.

But more over he went on to say in a more broader sense that it seems to him that Intel's CPU's are kind of, and i quote "Hodge Podged Together" where as AMD's CPU's are clearly much more holistically designed, he also alluded to Moore's Law being very much on a slowdown that now you just can't always go for the best node and improve your CPU's that way, in his view AMD have frankly taken over because they continuously improve their CPU's by design... Oof..... Ouch.

Last edited:
@FredFlint

eco mode run 65w, ppt reported just shy of 88w, 4.425ghz effective clocks

XfbMJYo.png

That seems very low, I get ~30.6-31k (7950X). Your clocks are also ~300Mhz higher, Zen 5 is strange. Could be RAM speed is pushing the SOC power up and taking it from the cores. I am running 4800 stock and also disable the iGPU.

i had some really funky behavior just, whole pc was lagging like mad, set a manual pbo of 230w, chip did not like it one bit, almost 40 seconds to get into windows, heavy micro stutter on the desktop and even in the bios, had to clear my cmos.

just read up how to set manual power modes, back to the bios, set 230w, negative 20 offset and tried r23 again, temps around 88.5c, core effective clocks 5.15ghz, scored 44,481

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom