• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

They released a new range of CPUs and sales have been dreadful, surely that is a flop at least for now until the prices come down.
It's still a good CPU at the end of the day, it's just AMD overhyped it, it's either on par on a bit better than the 7000 series. Only bad thing is the price but whether people buy the new model or old AMD still wins so its not really hurting them much.

It's still a good CPU at the end of the day, it's just AMD overhyped it, it's either on par on a bit better than the 7000 series. Only bad thing is the price but whether people buy the new model or old AMD still wins so its not really hurting them much.
My thoughts exactly.. people whining and complaining about not getting this huge perf increase in games.. wah wah wah.. boo hoo.

Its pretty funny watching all the moaning over something every company does, overhyping products.

And now HUB trying to drill AMD for it.. be even funnier if AMD decide to not send them anymore parts for reviewing lol

Also the difference in setups AMD talk about.. well the 5800X3D in GN's benchmarks look waaay better than HUB's but nobody talks about that!

AMD just need to lower the price of the current 7000X series and lower the 9000X series to what the 7000X series is now and I bet most would be happy. People can buy the new one for the same price and people can still get a bargain with the old gen considering there's sod all in it performance wise.

My thoughts exactly.. people whining and complaining about not getting this huge perf increase in games.. wah wah wah.. boo hoo.

Its pretty funny watching all the moaning over something every company does, overhyping products.

And now HUB trying to drill AMD for it.. be even funnier if AMD decide to not send them anymore parts for reviewing lol

Also the difference in setups AMD talk about.. well the 5800X3D in GN's benchmarks look waaay better than HUB's but nobody talks about that!

Let people moan why would it bother you
Why is it such a bad thing? Unless you some brand loyalty, I welcome it maybe it will stop them giving such bs claims in the future , and not only AMD

And about not sending parts anymore didn't work out so well for Nvidia did it, they said they didn't care they would just buy the parts instead and Nvidia back tracked

Last edited:
Why is it such a bad thing? Unless you some brand loyalty, I welcome it maybe it will stop them giving such bs claims in the future , and not only AMD

And about not sending parts anymore didn't work out so well for Nvidia did it, they said they didn't care they would just buy the parts instead and Nvidia back tracked
Dont fool yourself, of course they care.. they dont make that much from YT that they can just buy parts instead.

Accepting this sort of thing is why companies try it on in the first place.

AMD knew the performance numbers yet priced them way higher than they should for the performance uplift they delivered. The people complaining are not the ones at fault here.

Steve saying the sales of Zen5 are a complete flop.

Expect big price cuts soon.
I mean Zen 5 pretty much EQUALS Zen 4 in (almost) everything, so if they want to shift CPUs they have to price them at the Zen 4 level.

Turin sales might not even make much of a difference provided they do parametric yields and need somewhere to dump the mearly ordinary dies!

Last edited:
Bulldozer revisited. Poor old AMD appear to have shrunk the die, made some improvements (according to them) but its not added up to enough to make it any better then their previous Zen 4. This could be a big issue especially for gaming and gamers.

Given all this are we expecting zen 5 3d to be any better than zen 4 3d ? At this point I am almost thinking to wait for zen 6 as my 5900x is still great for gaming as far as I am concerned and amazing for all the Dev work I do.

Struggling to figure out what I should do. Been starting at review videos and benchmarks for days.

I'm sitting on a 3700x and generally quite happy with it. However I need a core # and memory (64gb) upgrade as I'm doing a lot of ML training in python for my PhD, and my current CPU doesn't quite cut it.

I value good efficiency and low noise. My cooler is a Corsair h115i pro 280mm AIO, which I don't particularly want to change. I don't think a bigger one will fit in my Meshify C case. I'm reluctant to get a beefy CPU (>120w) that may thermal throttle and sound like a helicopter.

Can't decide whether i should just drop in a 5950x (why is the 5900xt more expensive?!), for a hassle free upgrade.

The chip I like the most is the 7900 (non x), it seems unbelievably efficient, similar performance to the 5950x, but much lower power. However it requires as new motherboard and more expensive memory, just to save 40 watts. Doesn't seem worth.

Alternatively I could jump to the 9900x, but I'm concerned that I may be disappointed by the noise and temps, and it doesn't seem to have the undervolting potential of the previous generation.

Bulldozer revisited
now this is exactly what I was saying above

just because gaming test show "only" a 5% improvement people jump to conclusions

bulldozer was a first step on a long path in wrong direction
Whereas Zen 5 is a legit improvement. Given proper OS and proper workloads, 17.8%+ gen on gen increase Phoronix at almost same clocks and still strangled by same IO die. Very impressive. Maybe not for Zen 4 owners.
And gamers will reap the benefit once X3D cache relieves memory bottleneck

Last edited:
now this is exactly what I was saying above

just because gaming test show "only" a 5% improvement people jump to conclusions

bulldozer was a first step on a long path in wrong direction
Whereas Zen 5 is a legit improvement. Given proper OS and proper workloads, 17.8%+ gen on gen increase Phoronix at almost same clocks and still strangled by same IO die. Very impressive. Maybe not for Zen 4 owners.
And gamers will reap the benefit once X3D cache relieves memory bottleneck
Maybe the Zen architecture in its 5th iteration has reached its limit. IPCC limitations as its had a die shrink as well.

AMD has gone through a lot of work to produce a new chip which you would be expect to be able to be 10% faster on each iteration?

AMD doubling down on blaming reviewers and windows is entertaining af.

We getting way more performance out of amd fans than zen5 lol

AMD: you told Hardware Unboxed their 3% was accurate, at least that's what Hardware Unboxed say, is that true or not?

If you're going to pick a fight with them, if that's necessary only you know, but if you're going to then actually pick a fight with them, if you're right publish the Email correspondence, get lawyers involved, lets see how this pans out when it starts costing them money.

Last edited:
Or they will simply wait for Zen4 supply to dry out first, just like NVIDIA did with 4k series when 3k series was still around. No price drops, just time.
Because profits is all about margins and volume never gets a mention these days. Irony being that Intel are take lower end far more seriously than AMD do.

Anyway, when is Zen 6 due? Looking at some of the technical discussions if Zen is about the zen of balance then Zen 5 is really unbalanced - so keeping it fed should be a (relatively) easy thing for Zen 6 to focus on. AMD's stinginess with die sizes might come into it though.

I do wonder if Zen 5 was really expecting 3nm and they had to make changes late and cut back on stuff - and at that stage they probably had a list of feature X gains Y % more performance but costs Z in area. If they made cuts to the final design those might have been responsible for the unbalanced end results. While 3nm might be a bit cheaper by Zen 6, cost per transistors won't move much - so it is probably time for more advanced packaging tech. Certainly Lunar Lake and Arrow Lake seem far ambitious with packaging: glue vs super-glue!

Back
Top Bottom