• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Soldato
As always with AMD of late give them a few months for pricing to settle down, they take the right **** at first.

Their motherboards have not done much in that way - the new mainstream B650 motherboards tested by HUB were worse in quality than the ones released last year. If the B840 uses Promontory 19,it is a very cynical move. It is essentially a rebadged A620A/B550 chipset.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Their motherboards have not done much in that way - the new mainstream B650 motherboards tested by HUB were worse in quality than the ones released last year. If the B840 uses Promontory 19,it is a very cynical move. It is essentially a rebadged A620A/B550 chipset.

I am not surprised. Have always said AMD are not your friend. As soon as they start seeing some successes they do stupid **** just like other companies. Lord knows what they would be like if they had a lot more market share.

I am still thinking I will get AM6 and Zen 7 as my next upgrade. But if Intel are offering better price for performance at the time I will happily go with them. At the very least you get better ram compatibility with them. I just hate their e core rubbish. Just give me proper cores...

Soldato
I am not surprised. Have always said AMD are not your friend. As soon as they start seeing some successes they do stupid **** just like other companies. Lord knows what they would be like if they had a lot more market share.

I am still thinking I will get AM6 and Zen 7 as my next upgrade. But if Intel are offering better price for performance at the time I will happily go with them. At the very least you get better ram compatibility with them. I just hate their e core rubbish. Just give me proper cores...

I already mentioned my distain with the whole B650 and B650E situation too! There should have just been an A620,B650(with PCIe 5.0) and X670. The whole gating away of PCI-E 5.0 graphics card slots is ridiculous,when AMD makes PCI-E 8X cards and in the future generations we might find AMD mainstream PCI-E 5.0 8X and 4X graphics cards being released. There have been plenty of cheaper Intel motherboards which have this,so I doubt by now it's a huge cost.

Last edited:
Soldato
I already mentioned my distain with the whole B650 and B650E situation too! There should have just been an A620,B650(with PCIe 5.0) and X670. The whole gating away of PCI-E 5.0 graphics card slots is ridiculous,when AMD makes PCI-E 8X cards and in the future generations we might find AMD mainstream PCI-E 5.0 8X and 4X graphics cards being released. There have been plenty of cheaper Intel motherboards which have this,so I doubt by now it's a huge cost.

We will have wait and see what the motherboard manufacturers do. I’m actually looking forward to see what is on offer. Plenty of potential for innovation.

Soldato
That's quite a difference, I have my 7950x with 6000mhz memory, so 8000mhz would be very nice.

Though would require a new motherboard - something that spoils the whole AM5 long socket life argument. Will be interesting to see performance figures - assuming reviewers are commanded to use 8000Mhz EXPO kits for Zen5 and 6000Mhz kits for Zen4.

Of course we'll have good reviewers comparing Zen4 and Zen5 with the same speed memory, though may be few and far between etc.

Soldato
Though would require a new motherboard - something that spoils the whole AM5 long socket life argument. Will be interesting to see performance figures - assuming reviewers are commanded to use 8000Mhz EXPO kits for Zen5 and 6000Mhz kits for Zen4.

Of course we'll have good reviewers comparing Zen4 and Zen5 with the same speed memory, though may be few and far between etc.

Nope. 8000mhz ram has worked on AM5 for a long time. The drive for faster DDR5 will start if Zen requires it.

Edit: looks 8000mhz support was seen in AGESA 1.0.0.7b

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

My x670e board claims to support 8000mhz memory

Last edited:
Associate
Re-branding chipsets is really a bad move. Sure OEMs will love it (and would have complained if they had nothing "new" to sell), but like @CAT-THE-FIFTH said AM5 board prices - unlike CPU prices - have been mostly stagnant in price so this "new" shiny just resets or increases prices.
3TxpqxV.png

(https://www.techpowerup.com/323052/...ts-800-series-chipset-x870-is-b650e-successor)
Mandatory USB4 in the X870 / X870E is about the only new feature.
These chipsets are all outsourced to ASMedia, aren't they? So it looks ASMedia aren't very good at PCIe 5.0 and AMD weren't willing to spend more.

I also wonder how much extra power the P21+P21 trick uses? No point in Zen4 (and presumably Zen5) being so much more power efficient if the chipset has poor idle? And while the P21+P21 trick is clever in terms of re-use I think P21 was meant to 7W per chip, so monolith should use a fair bit less power.

Still undecided about PCIe 5.0 as not only the chipset uses a lot of power, so far any PCIe devices (i.e. PCIe 5.0 NVMe drives) have been very power hungry too. I suppose @CAT-THE-FIFTH is correct to be concerned that future low/mid range cards will be x8 (or even x4) PCIe 5.0 but I still think that is a long way away. Does negate AM5's longevity though - even if that keeps OEMs and motherboard makers happy.

I'd say the lack of USB4 on all chipsets is a bigger problem. And segmenting B chips so that the B840 does not get overclocking is a very poor move too.

Still, I keep saying this: if AMD (or whoever) do not produce a product I feel is worth buying - well they will have to do without a sale.

And AM5 proved that with sales being slow and AM5 board prices (and no DDR4 / DDR5 boards) were a huge factor - as it was Zen 4 as EPYP Genoa sold really well. Pleasing motherboard manufacturers with chipset segmentation - and the P21+P21 was probably needless costly too. (AMD's marketshare is no longer that small that they have to re-use everything.)

I for once won't buy Intel either though - not only do their chipsets only support one "real" generation, they also have done a lot more anti-consumer moves throughout the years - and that wasn't just about the marketshare difference. Basically, Intel (and NVidia) invented most of the dirty tricks so while I am not happy with AMD's moves - and am well aware that no corporation is our friend - it will take a lot worse to get me go for the known bad actors while alternatives are available - that would be like being cliche voter being dissatisfied with a current politician and choosing a Trump/Johnson etc. because they find them amusing!

As for Zen5 - pricing will tell but a new IOD might have been nice too; new sockets get a quick-and-dirty IOD like the current one while new CPUs on the same socket should, IMO, get a new IOD where they have used the additional time to squeeze every mW down as far as they could etc. while improving DDR5 support (which may raise those mW again, of course!)

Last edited:
Soldato
@KompuKare the only reason AMD is renaming A620A/B550 to B840 is to jack up the price to increase margins. So are all the B650 motherboards now going to be phased out in favour of trash B840 and B850 replaces B650E at over £200?

So basically the equivalent of the A320 from 2019 now selling for upto £200. The B840 is trash and shouldn't cost more than £100 because its a rebranded A620A/B550....not even an A620.

Intel motherboards under £200 are more likely to have a PCI-E 5.0 main slot anyway. So what happens if Intel B860 ends up having PCI-E 5.0 at a lower price than AMD?

AMD are now just copying what Intel did when they were ahead,with all their chipset segmentation of features.They tried the same stuff when they were ahead with the Athlon 64. This is why Intel needs to be competitive.

Last edited:
Soldato
AMD are now just copying what Intel did when they were ahead,with all their chipset segmentation of features.They tried the same stuff when they were ahead with the Athlon 64. This is why Intel needs to be competitive.
Except they didn't need 3Dvcache CPUs to beat Intel when they were doing well, the FX CPUs were stupid anyway, only a bit faster than the standard CPUs AFAIK but cost a lot more.

Soldato
@KompuKare the only reason AMD is renaming A620A/B550 to B840 is to jack up the price to increase margins. So are all the B650 motherboards now going to phased out in favour of trash B840 and B850 replaces B650E at over £200?

So basically the equivalent of the A320 from 2019 now selling for upto £200. The B840 is trash and shouldn't cost more than £100 because its a rebranded A620A/B550....not even an A620.

Intel motherboards under £200 are more likely to have a PCI-E 5.0 main slot anyway. So what happens if Intel B860 ends up having PCI-E 5.0 at a lower price than AMD?

The supposed big sell on AM5 is that you save money as you don’t need to upgrade the board for a few generations of cpu, Boards makers don’t like this though as they are selling less boards so to counter their loss of revenue they charge much more per board which in the end makes the saving on AM5 a false economy.

Soldato
@KompuKare the only reason AMD is renaming A620A/B550 to B840 is to jack up the price to increase margins. So are all the B650 motherboards now going to be phased out in favour of trash B840 and B850 replaces B650E at over £200?

The A620 isn't going anywhere at all, and will continue for a long time yet. The 840 is replacing the lower end 650 equivalents, and the 850 the better boards.

Back
Top Bottom