• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Except they didn't need 3Dvcache CPUs to beat Intel when they were doing well, the FX CPUs were stupid anyway, only a bit faster than the standard CPUs AFAIK but cost a lot more.
When they were ahead they started doing all the platform segmentation too and holding back in other areas too.

The supposed big sell on AM5 is that you save money as you don’t need to upgrade the board for a few generations of cpu, Boards makers don’t like this though as they are selling less boards so to counter their loss of revenue they charge much more per board which in the end makes the saving on AM5 a false economy.
The issue is the boards already have risen in cost and stagnated in feature set below £200.

Also how many years have we got on AM5? Zen5 might be the last generation and at best it is Zen6. After that we are probably seeing a new platform anyway.

The A620 isn't going anywhere at all, and will continue for a long time yet. The 840 is replacing the lower end 650 equivalents, and the 850 the better boards.
Then WTF is B840 giving you then over an A620?The rumour says it is using Promontory 19,ie,B550/A620A chipset,which is older. There is also no overclocking or undervolting on the A620 and B840.

But also in the realworld,the A620 is priced so close to the B650,it offers no advantage.

For £110 you can get a B650 motherboard(ASRock B650M/HDV) which has good VRMs and a modern Promontory 21 chipset. The Gigabyte B650M DS3H is only £130 and has 4 RAM slots. In fact,quite a few solid sub £150 B650 motherboards are available which are only a few quid more than the A620 motherboards. Where is the room for B840 in this unless it's £100?

Unless B840 is an OEM only release,that would slot the B840 upto £200. The B850 would replace the B650E which starts just under £200.

Last edited:
PCI-E 4.0 on everything, vs 3.0 on somethings that the A620 can have.

The big issue is if this uses Promontory 19 as the rumour states(the chipset link is slow):

That will lead to contention issues.

The problem here is A620 starts at £80~£90 for truly trash motherboards. Some of the better ones also unofficially were supporting PCI-E 5.0 SSDs(ASRock and Asus versions).You are paying over £100 for anything which is decent which are all PCI-E 4.0,which is right into the territory of good,entry level B650 motherboards.

Where is the room for the B840 in all of this? So unless B840 is OEM or the rumours are wrong,it seems a backwards step. Even at £110 to £130,you might as well get a B650 motherboard.

Last edited:
The issue is the boards already have risen in cost and stagnated in feature set below £200.

Also how many years have we got on AM5? Zen5 might be the last generation and at best it is Zen6. After that we are probably seeing a new platform anyway.
Hopefully the new gen of boards might mean some price cuts on the older ones.

I put off upgrading to zen 4 because CPUs boards and ram were all overpriced at release, ram is much better now but boards still expensive and no doubt the new CPUs will be overpriced initially also, I’m happy to play the waiting game if needs be or even switch to Intel if they offer better value for similar performance.

AMD keynote, cpu news including zen5 and strix point ai 300 series

oooh

from the leaks in creation workloads its average is 29% faster than a 14900k and in the games tested around 13% faster than a 14900k, 9950x was tested in the slides

am5 support through 2027+, though looks like to take advantage of the faster ram you'll need to use x800 series motherboards, hopefully they bring that support to x670e

Last edited:
Weird changes to the power limits as well

Apart from the 9950x, every other model has a significant reduction in TDP

Thats very interesting because with Ryzen 7000 they said they increased TDP to get max performance, now they are backtracking.

Will be interesting to see if the 9900x, 9700x and 9600x run at lower clock speeds than the 7000 series models.
I believe they will, but will still be faster because of its higher IPC. What gives me more confidence they will is that the 170w 9950x is advertised as the same clock speed as the 7950x, so if the other models have lower TDP, they must have lower clocks than the 7000 series.

• Ryzen 9 7950X (170W) -> Ryzen 9 9950X (170W)
  • Ryzen 9 7900X (170W) -> Ryzen 9 9900X (120W)
  • Ryzen 7 7700X (105W) -> Ryzen 7 9700X (65W)
  • Ryzen 5 7600X (105W) -> Ryzen 5 9600X (65W)

I've got the impression that Ryzen 9000 is just a small stop gap generation, the real meat will come with Zen 6 I guess

Last edited:
And AMD has announced that they will continue launching new CPUs for AM5 until 2027.

AMD's original commitment for AM5 was only until 2025 and now they've extended it through to 2027

Last edited:
And AMD has announced that they will continue launching new CPUs for AM5 until 2027.

AMD's original commitment for AM5 was only until 2025 and now they've extended it through to 2027
through 2027+ ;)

I'll be looking to see what the 9900X prices end up as and maybe wait a few months to see how much they drop after initial launch.

2027 support is nice but that depends on if they mean new architectures or just different SKUs/refreshes of Zen 5 like we've been getting with AM4.

While we need to wait for reviews, the lowering of the TDP for most SKUs is a nice surprise.
Hope Intel does likewise with Arrow Lake as their current CPUs are regarding power consumption (and they are still not stable).

Last edited:
While we need to wait for reviews, the lowering of the TDP for most SKUs is a nice surprise.
Hope Intel does likewise with Arrow Lake as their current CPUs are regarding power consumption (and they are still not stable).

AMD says the Ryzen 9 9950X is around 13% faster in gaming than a Core i9 14900k. This means the Ryzen 7 9700X and Ryzen 9 9950X won't be massively faster than the X3D parts:

It's not too hard to find a Ryzen 7 7800X3D for around £300 now.

Last edited:
i suspect with bios updates the new chips and hopefully IF improvments we we can run high speed dimms at a 1:1 ratio on x670e

That's an ASUS mistake/issue - 8000Mhz EXPO/XMP is not stable on the majority of 4 dimm boards. It requires significant manual tuning, or 2 DIMM boards.

This is further supported by the leaks now showing the X870 boards have the official 8000Mhz EXPO support, for 4 dimm boards etc.

Weird changes to the power limits as well

Apart from the 9950x, every other model has a significant reduction in TDP

Thats very interesting because with Ryzen 7000 they said they increased TDP to get max performance, now they are backracking
Some is coming from being more power efficient and almost not increasing clocks

But have you seen this forum first months after Zen4 release? Load of topics asking "is my new Zen4 CPU overheating". Common response was "this is normal, if you don't want to see 80C spikes, use lower power limits". So AMD lowered them for us.

Back
Top Bottom