• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

been on a 7800x3d from release its just so good that anyone serious about gaming should buy one
I'm very close to pulling the trigger.

Noob question, having always been Intel.. am i correct in thinking the upcoming releases will be able to be used in any AM5 MoBo that are currently out, or is it a case of needing a higher end one of the B650/X670 range to be future proofed?

Noob question, having always been Intel.. am i correct in thinking the upcoming releases will be able to be used in any AM5 MoBo that are currently out, or is it a case of needing a higher end one of the B650/X670 range to be future proofed?
Apart from more USB4/PCIE5 on top of the range, new motherboards don't offer much more
There are some vague rumors they have slightly improved design for high speed DDR5. And another rumor that this new motherboard series is delayed to end of year anyway
So clearly not improtant for new CPUs

Apart from more USB4/PCIE5 on top of the range, new motherboards don't offer much more
There are some vague rumors they have slightly improved design for high speed DDR5. And another rumor that this new motherboard series is delayed to end of year anyway
So clearly not improtant for new CPUs

X870 offers 8000Mhz + EXPO on 4 dimm boards. Remains to be seen how much of a performance impact this will have on Zen5. Expect the effect to be less once Zen5X3D launches though, as the additional cache negates the benefit of faster memory.

From what I've seen so far, the newly announced CPUs are very much within expectations right? No huge improvement but nice to know how long AM5 will be kicking around

Think I'll be sticking on AM4 and getting a 5800x3d next year. Ride that out and buy into AM5 just as the next socket gets announced
Given that a similarly performing 7600 some DDR5 and a board is not much more than a 5800X3D alone and probably works out much cheaper when factoring in selling your old parts it seems pointless to buy a 5800X3D nowadays, the 5700X3D seems the besr option if sticking AM4.

Given that a similarly performing 7600 some DDR5 and a board is not much more than a 5800X3D alone and probably works out much cheaper when factoring in selling your old parts it seems pointless to buy a 5800X3D nowadays, the 5700X3D seems the besr option if sticking AM4.
Tbh I haven't done a whole lot of research. My general outlook is to buy the best/2nd best of an ageing platform rather than be on the bleeding edge.

In my mind am5 is still new

I thought motherboards and ddr5 were very expensive though, guess they've got cheaper?

AMD says the Ryzen 9 9950X is around 13% faster in gaming than a Core i9 14900k. This means the Ryzen 7 9700X and Ryzen 9 9950X won't be massively faster than the X3D parts:

It's not too hard to find a Ryzen 7 7800X3D for around £300 now.

It's worth noting that according to AMD's slides they tested the 14900k using Intel's new default bios power profile, which reduces the 14900k's performance, including in games, by 10% compared to that benchmark you posted which was done using a much higher TDP profile.

So realistically the 9950x has the same gaming performance as a 7800x3d at best and at worst, slower, and that's why AMD only showed gaming performance vs the 14900k and not vs Ryzen 7000.

In the only AMD vs AMD gaming benchmark shown, AMD said the 9950x is 10% faster than the 7950x in Far Cry 6. But the 7800x3d is 19% faster than the 7950x in this game, ergo in this particular game, the 9950x is slower than a 7800x3d

Last edited:
It's worth noting that according to AMD's slides they tested the 14900k using Intel's new default bios power profile, which reduces the 14900k's performance, including in games, by 10% compared to that benchmark you posted which was done using a much higher TDP profile.

So realistically the 9950x has the same gaming performance as a 7800x3d at best and at worst, slower, and that's why AMD only showed gaming performance vs the 14900k and not vs Ryzen 7000
I'll choose a stable CPU over an unstable CPU.. every time!

If I had to pick, heres whats most interesting to me in these new processors
Notice all these sorta-single-low-threaded latency sensitive benchmarks in IPC slide

browser benchmarks: kraken, webxprt, speedometer, octane
game known for being CPU latency sensitive: Farcry
even Puget adobe

These are all what I would consider proxy benchmarks for general desktop responsiveness. And all where Ryzen 7xxx is (slightly) behind Intel top cpus [brute forcing single thread clocks]
Better latency is great across the board, and should also translate to better 1% lows for many games

3Fmv5h5mwbb92VVi.jpg

PS. But clocks are not exciting at all. A 100 MHz bump for lower CPUs, none for top. Meh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom