• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 5 rumours

Associate
I read that the new motherboards are coming out after the new processors.

If your buying new cpu\mobo\ram upgrade how are you meant to update the bios on the current boards to work with the new processors without having an 5x00\7x00 processor

Edit - unless motherboards are currently shipping with a bios to support these chips
Supporting bios are already rolling out I believe, but also the majority of modern motherboards have a bios flashback feature which let's you update the bios without a cpu installed. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Supporting bios are already rolling out I believe, but also the majority of modern motherboards have a bios flashback feature which let's you update the bios without a cpu installed. :)
I guess the best thing to do is check the board before buying it and hope it comes with the updated bios.

Will check that before buying and see if this is a feature of that board

Associate
amd wanted it to be a Universal feature to use usb to flash bios but some mboard manufacture companies may not have implemented it

Man of Honour
I guess the best thing to do is check the board before buying it and hope it comes with the updated bios.

Will check that before buying and see if this is a feature of that board
The majority of AMD boards have USB Flashback now although there are a few of the cheaper ones that still don't have it. On the other hand, most Intel boards don't have it unless you are spending £250+ on the motherboard which is disgraceful. It shopuld be a standard feature on all boards by now.

Last edited:
Soldato
The majority of AMD boards have USB Flashback now although there are a few of the cheaper ones that still don't have it. On the other hand, most Intel boards don't have it unless you are spending £250+ on the motherboard which is disgraceful. It shopuld be a standard feature on all boards by now.
I wish it was standard as it would make life a lot easier.

Yes, Intel boards you had to buy the high end or premium boards to get this feature on it. Glad to see its more common as standard for AMD.

I do have a spare 2200G sitting around so unsure if this could work but would need to check the cpu supported list first lol

Are we due anymore price drops on the 7800X3D at all? As I see this has dropped already on OCUK

Last edited:
Soldato
I read that the new motherboards are coming out after the new processors.

If your buying new cpu\mobo\ram upgrade how are you meant to update the bios on the current boards to work with the new processors without having an 5x00\7x00 processor

Edit - unless motherboards are currently shipping with a bios to support these chips

Just buy a board that has bios flashback for peace of mind most have it now unless you going really cheap

Soldato
I wish it was standard as it would make life a lot easier.

Yes, Intel boards you had to buy the high end or premium boards to get this feature on it. Glad to see its more common as standard for AMD.

I do have a spare 2200G sitting around so unsure if this could work but would need to check the cpu supported list first lol

Are we due anymore price drops on the 7800X3D at all? As I see this has dropped already on OCUK

2200G is for am4 socket wouldn't work on AM5

Man of Honour
Afaik, the non-X3D CPUs have a long way to drop compared to the recent cuts in other markets, maybe £50 or so for the higher-end models (just £20-£30 for the 7600).

The X3D is going to be less attractive for AMD to price cut, especially while we're waiting for the 9000 X3Ds, but since the 7800X3D usually mirrors the 7900's price, another £30-£40 wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
Associate
We seem to be heading to £300 for the 7800X3D (cheaper as non boxed), so I'm hoping closer to £250 a short time after 9x00 releases, that might make me upgrade, I'm assuming any non X3D 9x00 won't get close to the X3D for my sort of usage.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is that really true?

Sorry been out of touch with pc building, and my last AMD was a Barton 2500+ (haha, I feel so old)
Heres the data for the ryzen 7 7700X after release.

Screenshot-817.png

Associate
Would just like to point out, that while yes amd chips tend to drop in price over time and that's a good thing. The 7000 series in particular was noticeably overpriced at launch. So while I suspect the 9000 series will also launch at a higher price and drop over time. I don't think it will be at the same level as the 7000 series was.

Associate
If the 9600X is £220 and the 7800X3D sits around £300 (currently at about £315) then I'd say the drops for 9x00 need to happen quickly, but of course that depends on so many factors, 7800 stock, actual 9x00 pricing/performance blah blah :/

Soldato
Would just like to point out, that while yes amd chips tend to drop in price over time and that's a good thing. The 7000 series in particular was noticeably overpriced at launch. So while I suspect the 9000 series will also launch at a higher price and drop over time. I don't think it will be at the same level as the 7000 series was.
I think the best play is to wait till intel launches in a couple of months because if arrow lake is a hit then that will cause a large drop in AMDs pricing.

The fact that AMD have increased TDP and boost clocks on parts like the 9700X would point to them knowing arrowlake is looking very competitive.

Soldato
I think the best play is to wait till intel launches in a couple of months because if arrow lake is a hit then that will cause a large drop in AMDs pricing.

The fact that AMD have increased TDP and boost clocks on parts like the 9700X would point to them knowing arrowlake is looking very competitive.
They are considering increasing TDP on the 9700X to bring it closer to the performance of the 7800X3D, there was also talk of keeping the TDP the same and just releasing a 9800X with the higher TDP, especially as 9700X are pretty much already produced and on their way to shops, and why not.....they did it with 5000 SKU's

Its got nothing to do with Arrow Lake, AMD already know that 9000X3D will beat that, especially with dual CCD's having 3D cache on them, and being unlocked and overclockable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom