• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Soldato
I would suggest a performance air cooler blowing air across the VRM's to the top exhaust fan. Worked for me on an OC FX8350 on an M5A99x board. Need not be noisy either. AIO's tend to remove heat from the CPU and not the chipset or VRM areas. Also do not block up all the exhaust fans with a radiator.

Soldato
seen another site is offering the 1800x with a overclock of 4.2 lol
That's good actually, on par with Intel's 8 core chips. The real question is whether the 6 and 4 core parts can clock higher or not...in fact that may be one of the reasons they aren't releasing them straight away, in order to buy more time to improve the clocks.

Associate
On top of all of that, OCUK are talking about overclocking but were they not using an AIO while also talking about VRM issues? So the question I have is, did they have any actual directed airflow at the VRMs. Largely because they are all designed with these stupid flat tops which prevents a lot of airflow. Really you want a cooler blowing down onto the board, either fan on top of a heatsink such as the 1700 stock cooler, or a fan somewhere to blow air at the board and which would then blow through the VRM heatsinks.

I think the idea that you need a £250 mobo to overclock well us utterly ridiculous and frankly don't believe it, I'm wondering if their testing method was simply faulty and didn't cool the VRMS, hence only the stupid expensive board with cooler running/larger number of VRMs worked well.
To infer that that OC don't understand cooling is frankly ridiculous! Are you plucking these things out of thin air or out of an Xmas cracker!

Have you considered that the boards just aren't up to it? Wht not contact Gibbo or 8 Pack directly with your reservations.

Edit - I see 8 Pack has responded.

Associate
I would suggest a performance air cooler blowing air across the VRM's to the top exhaust fan. Worked for me on an OC FX8350 on an M5A99x board. Need not be noisy either. AIO's tend to remove heat from the CPU and not the chipset or VRM areas. Also do not block up all the exhaust fans with a radiator.

Maybe this style of cooler will get some decent results due to more airflow down on the the VRMs?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Associate
To infer that that OC don't understand cooling is frankly ridiculous! Are you plucking these things out of thin air or out of a Xmas cracker!

Have you considered that the boards just aren't up to it? Wht not contact Gibbo or 8 Pack directly with your reservations.
People don't seem to understand that most of these AM4 boards are sporting really crappy hardware. We'll hopefully start seeing decent alternatives soon.

Soldato
People don't seem to understand that most of these AM4 boards are sporting really crappy hardware. We'll hopefully start seeing decent alternatives soon.

I don't doubt 8-Pack or the methods used when testing in this, I'm simply in agreement that on and alleged low TDP part, VRM on lower end boards struggling so much could be quite the eye opener.

Soldato
That's good actually, on par with Intel's 8 core chips. The real question is whether the 6 and 4 core parts can clock higher or not...in fact that may be one of the reasons they aren't releasing them straight away, in order to buy more time to improve the clocks.

Or build up enough stock of failed 8-core chips.

Of the two CPUs I've owned that had locked cores, one was absolutely fine when unlocked. The other had l3 cache that only becaame properly functional when fed an over-specced CPU-NB voltage.

Unlocking 4c8t Ryzens could be fun if it turns out to be possible.

Back
Top Bottom