• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

I was of the understanding that at this point (assuming upgrade of Win 7 or Win 8/8.1 to Win 10) if you go and do a full system upgrade (CPU, Mobo, Ram at least) then your current Windows 10 license will NOT be transferable. MS changed the licensing scheme with Win 10. I'm not 100% but I believe this is the case.

No Win 10 key was needed. You just run the updater on your current Win 7, Win 8/8.1 and it would upgrade your current key to a Win 10 key. This gets tied to your hardware. You can make small changes. Such as single components, but wholesale changes will need the purchase of a new Win 10 license.

Again, this was my understanding.

If new Motherboard install it first without reinstall, load up windows, go online.... that will change your hardware association with the key to the new board, then reinstall.

Didn't even know this is how they did it, but I recently upgraded my MB from H87 to Z97 and did this exact thing. Never had to re-enter the key, so that's fine.

I'll likely just buy a new key from the same place I bought the last one. £25 isn't too much to be spending on a genuine Pro license.

AMD Ryzen test review kit unboxing. These contained 1800X, Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz (v5.30 Hynix), Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4 Cooler.

Another unboxing, this time by Paul @ Newegg USA. He also received the Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-Gaming 5, however, he notes in the video that motherboards sent out to by AMD in the reviewers kit were random and also included the MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium and Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero. So when the NDA is lifted we can expect reviews from those three motherboards from the off. In the background on the wall, notice he has the ASRock X370 Taichi. :cool:

Last edited:
I was of the understanding that at this point (assuming upgrade of Win 7 or Win 8/8.1 to Win 10) if you go and do a full system upgrade (CPU, Mobo, Ram at least) then your current Windows 10 license will NOT be transferable. MS changed the licensing scheme with Win 10. I'm not 100% but I believe this is the case.

No Win 10 key was needed. You just run the updater on your current Win 7, Win 8/8.1 and it would upgrade your current key to a Win 10 key. This gets tied to your hardware. You can make small changes. Such as single components, but wholesale changes will need the purchase of a new Win 10 license.

I thought that might be the case but not sure. This is how to find your updated key apparently. Just save in notepad as a .vbs file and run it.

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

This is dependent on whether you have an OEM or Retail key, retail key you can move to a new system OEM is tied to a MOBO. (Unless this has changed)

Is the key for windows 10 the same one used for windows 7 if you upgraded?

Depends on how you upgraded, I went form Vista > 7 > 8 > 10, my key is now a windows 8 key which is shared with 10. (That's what the MS rep told me in support anyway)

I thought that might be the case but not sure. This is how to find your updated key apparently. Just save in notepad as a .vbs file and run it.

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

Or just install Belarc Advisor and it tells you your key.

OEM licenses are not transferable, retail ones are. Windows will deactivate on the new hardware, but should re-activate fine although it may take a phone call to MS to get an activation code. The free upgrade copies of Windows 10 apparently take their OEM/retail status from the original OS. As of the anniversary update Win 10's licence can be associated with a Microsoft account, so that can also be use to transfer the licence to new hardware.

For anyone unsure of their Windows licence type, open a command prompt and type slmgr -dli. That will show the licence type.

I've gone through two motherboards with the same OEM win7 with no problem. Just an online register & no phone call.
Although rest of my system stayed roughly the same.

That's actually a nice looking cooler; and the RGB isn't too excessive with it either. Not to mention rather quiet. Hope it performs really well, and AMD are on to another winner; especially if it's bundled with some of their R7 and R6 CPUs.

OEM licenses are not transferable, retail ones are. Windows will deactivate on the new hardware, but should re-activate fine although it may take a phone call to MS to get an activation code. The free upgrade copies of Windows 10 apparently take their OEM/retail status from the original OS. As of the anniversary update Win 10's licence can be associated with a Microsoft account, so that can also be use to transfer the licence to new hardware.

For anyone unsure of their Windows licence type, open a command prompt and type slmgr -dli. That will show the licence type.

Tyvm didnt know this :)
My free upgrade to win 10 pro from win 7 has indeed kept its retail status which is nice

Back
Top Bottom