• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Is there any future to the am4 socket and chipset? Will it just work with ryzen or is it planned to be compatible with the next generation of ryzen cpu?
Meant to be using AM4 for the next 4 years or something like that.

Link >> http://www.pcworld.com/article/3155...hitecture-is-expected-to-last-four-years.html

"Mark Papermaster, AMD’s chief technology officer, confirmed the four-year lifespan in a conversation here at CES 2017 in Las Vegas, though he declined to discuss specifics."

sausages

4 Generation of Zen, apparently, one new Zen chip per year.

Yet another tick with AMD ....someone should do a list why some one should go with AMD so far i have Intel with poor TIM hs , expensive per core , new socket every hour , expensive again , 0000.1% IPC increase per release , bribing OEM's , on on

Anyway we do not seem to be getting any solid Ryzen leaks ...

so this will have to do

Last edited:
Yet another tick with AMD ....someone should do a list why some one should go with AMD so far i have Intel with poor TIM hs , expensive per core , new socket every hour , expensive again , 0000.1% IPC increase per release , bribing OEM's , on on

Anyway we do not seem to be getting any solid Ryzen leaks ...

so this will have to do

That leak, thanks for posting that. Crazy...

I upgraded from Win7 to Win10, I plan to install the new mobo and boot from the drive, reactivate Windows 10 then I'll probably do a fresh install. I saw a guide here on how to do it, if you have a Microsoft account linked to your main logon then I believe your licences get linked to your account so it's easy to recover it.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

I upgraded from Win7 to Win10, I plan to install the new mobo and boot from the drive, reactivate Windows 10 then I'll probably do a fresh install. I saw a guide here on how to do it, if you have a Microsoft account linked to your main logon then I believe your licences get linked to your account so it's easy to recover it.

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change
thanks for the link, i knew it could be done this way but not how

I have just found a stock FX8350 heatsink unused and manufactured by Cooler Master in my parts box. It may be used as a stop gap cooler on the standard fixing brackets until I get sorted out with AM4.

Either I get a CH6 mobo, Silverstone supports AM4 or I buy another compatible cooling system.

Gibbo - any ETA on X370 Micro-ATX motherboards - or stock-supply levels of the B350 ones you have ?

The only problem with having thousands of processors ready to ship is the unknown quantities of motherboards - you cannot have one without the other. This isnt like a graphics card launch where we are only waiting for a single item to be in stock - this time we need 2 from different manufacturers so its a highly likely cause of grief.

As far as I've found only Biostar have an X370 mATX board and I'm not actually convinced it's anything special over the X350.

Yes, probably right - I'll probably just get a B350 for now and see what develops in the next couple of months. BIOSTAR's UK distributor shows no AM4 boards on their list of nearly 40 biostar boards. I tend to stick with buying only ASUS (used to be ABit only) so I don't know GB/MSI build quality let alone the others who I see as OEM builders.

That is if I can find anywhere which will ship me a B350 board - OcUK have the ASUS in stock but will not ship it - no idea why, I understand its pointless without the CPU but better to have one in hand knowing a cpu will be coming than the other way round.

A bit stunned by the lacklustre products/announcements from the Mobo manufacturers (other than Asrock with a dozen or more boards) - ASUS only have 5 announced. I hope they havnt gone for a soft launch believing there isnt the demand and will spend the next 3-4 months ramping up.

I am sooo damn tempted to go 1800X - X370 Crosshair Hero - and 32GB 3200Mhz. I can't justify it at all though; it'll be a minor upgrade; but my goodness am I tempted. Haven't had a full AMD system since my 2009 Phenom II build.

ive bought the asrock x370 k4 mobo which ill be pairing with a 1700, im starting to wonder whether its worth spending a little bit more on a board? I dont plan on doing any major overclocking.

Back
Top Bottom