• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Associate
Looks like DPD will come just as I need to leave the house to go install my old streaming 6700k setup in a friends PC.

Ah well, I'll most likely post my temps and stuff Sunday night.

Permabanned
I agree on that. Especially those using the Asus CH6 Hero show completely different perf compared to Gigabyte motherboards, and the difference is big.
(pointing at Joker's video at 1080p with the GTX1080 also).

Also we do not know how many of them had patched with the CH6 Hero with last weekends BIOS, which resolved many issues.

And we have just B350 Tomahawk, for less than half the money the CH6 Hero not only overclocking better, not only supporting better ram timings and speeds, but requiring less power to overclock the CPUs!!!! Even with the stock Wraith cooler, or just simply the Notcua NH-U12S
Looks like time to completely ignore the reviewers and wait for the guys at overclockers to post their result.

Caporegime

Some games like threads more than Mhz.

17103289_10155035829263454_5901110875835269422_n.jpg

OcUK Staff
Ofcourse which reviewer can beat the Pack.. Makes sense to wait for me/ us. They are all wanting to be first no matter what level of testing they find acceptable to themselves. I am sure Twst has tested more than any reviewer the last few weeks for example.

Associate
So here is my Cinebench results:

R7 1700
MSI B350 Tomahank
16GB Crucial 2400Mhz DDR4
Notcua NH-U12S
EDIT: BIOS V1.0
Power = Performance mode but sure no different with balance.
Fresh windows 10 Installation

3.6 @ 1.104v
gsCk60u.jpg

3.7Ghz @ 1.176v
9fRZAMx.jpg

3.8Ghz @ 1.224v
9mNmVMB.jpg

3.9Ghz @ 1.304v
71UJPbx.jpg

4Ghz nees over 1.4v and the heat output rockets at 1.4v so on air I am not pushing that. Topped at 71c but I am not sure what these CPU's can take and wouldn't want to brick it.

Just to add, 3.65Ghz @ Stock volts Real Bench H254 5 runs with ease.
z6rZg15.png

What should I bench now?

Thx :) do you have a laser temp gun scrams if so would love to know the temp of the cpu vrms while on load...

Last edited:
Soldato
Some games like threads more than Mhz.
17103289_10155035829263454_5901110875835269422_n.jpg

The guy has stated that he patched his Asus CH6 Hero with the last BIOS, which includes the last microcode (CPU firmware upgrade) by AMD.
And the performance boost was big, compared to the initial review he did, even if still using the same 2133 memory. That microcode resolved an issue between the CPU and the IMC.

In addition, running Windows on balanced mode prevents Ryzen from switching clockspeeds and voltages any faster than 30ms.
If the windows are set on High performance, it allows it do go into 1ms, full speed, switching. Imagine how faster the CPU->GPU communication is when the entire CPU is allowed to be 30 TIMES more responsive with boosting?

Which shows, all issues are software related.

Associate
The guy has stated that he patched his Asus CH6 Hero with the last BIOS, which includes the last microcode (CPU firmware upgrade) by AMD.
And the performance boost was big, compared to the initial review he did, even if still using the same 2133 memory. That microcode resolved an issue between the CPU and the IMC.

In addition, running Windows on balanced mode prevents Ryzen from switching clockspeeds and voltages any faster than 30ms.
If the windows are set on High performance, it allows it do go into 1ms, full speed, switching. Imagine how faster the CPU->GPU communication is when the entire CPU is allowed to be 30 TIMES more responsive with boosting?

Glad to hear this ....This M$ power management has always been an issue for any cpu speed-stepping ect great for power saving but usually creates high DPC ...

Lets hope M$ refine it better for th Ryzen chips

Soldato

Amd rushed to get their Avfs setup, like we all agree, they should have delayed a couple of months to get everything setup, tested and qualified. Considering they had this syatem in carrizo and bristol ridge the performance plan bug should have been spotted. Now you may think i'm over critical but look at the bugs, look at the lack of motherboards, look at thr bios patches, no hdmi2 on the boards. It's a last minute rush job.

On a positive note, scramz is having a cracking time
:)

Associate
So here is my Cinebench results:

R7 1700
MSI B350 Tomahank
16GB Crucial 2400Mhz DDR4
Notcua NH-U12S
EDIT: BIOS V1.0
Power = Performance mode but sure no different with balance.
Fresh windows 10 Installation

3.6 @ 1.104v
gsCk60u.jpg

3.7Ghz @ 1.176v
9fRZAMx.jpg

3.8Ghz @ 1.224v
9mNmVMB.jpg

3.9Ghz @ 1.304v
71UJPbx.jpg

4Ghz nees over 1.4v and the heat output rockets at 1.4v so on air I am not pushing that. Topped at 71c but I am not sure what these CPU's can take and wouldn't want to brick it.

Just to add, 3.65Ghz @ Stock volts Real Bench H254 5 runs with ease.
z6rZg15.png

What should I bench now?

Ok to add with these results:

4.0Ghz @ 1.400v - topped at 72c
i4QEgUN.jpg

Back
Top Bottom