• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** AMD "Zen" thread (inc AM4/APU discussion) ***

Permabanned
Its not worth it at above 4.0 the voltage required and the heat isn't worth the extra performance.
For me it is i run **** at max ALWAYS !!! RIDE OR DIE !!! Even my LG G4 is running custom firmware and its overclocked.

I dont care about power consumption or heat. Just needs to be stable.

We are overclockers or pussies ?? :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Out of interest what are you all doing with the Sata ports? I often don't use more than 3 and normally 2 these days.

Blue ray drive - 1
SSD - 1
General docs drive - 1
Media drive 1 - 1
Media drive 2 - 1
Backup drive - 1

So that's my 6 ports.

Although, to be fair, this Ryzen build is replacing my main PC for daily duties, so the media and backup drives most likely can go. However, when it comes time to replace that system, this system will drop down the chain, so will need at least as many sata ports as I need currently.

Associate
Looks like am just going to have to go Asus X370 Pro....

abysmal launch is abysmal....

Not the worst choice, I got my 1700 with a prime x370 pro up and running today and have it running solid as a rock at 3.9 with 3k memory using DCOP profile overclocking method, was quick and easy. (0504 BIOS ofc)

Soldato
UA%20571-c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Classic GRID computer - they were used on the space shuttle too!! AFAIK,they used plasma displays!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_Systems_Corporation

I am also happy to see AMD is working in getting its name attached to well known projects,so that should help raise their profile!! ;)

Soldato
Blue ray drive - 1
SSD - 1
General docs drive - 1
Media drive 1 - 1
Media drive 2 - 1
Backup drive - 1

So that's my 6 ports.

Although, to be fair, this Ryzen build is replacing my main PC for daily duties, so the media and backup drives most likely can go. However, when it comes time to replace that system, this system will drop down the chain, so will need at least as many sata ports as I need currently.

That fair enough,

I use M.2 for OS drive, 2 sata for media drives in raid 0 (SSD's) and that is it at moment. My backup is on external drive and I use USB Bluray drive for discs as needed. Just wondered but I guess if you want it self contained.

I actually have my backup internal of the build via the USB on the mobo but could use a Sata just as easy, just means if I want to remove and use on something else that is USB based I can without needing an adaptor.

I am trying to get to the point that I have a large enough media drive I can use one drive only but this may be a while off as would need to be like a 4TB SSD or similar.

Soldato
I use 4 myself. But if i had Raid ect deffo would use more. I use ********* of USB's oculus rift eats 5 itself !!!

Cheers ZED, I don't use that at home and our work system is plugged up and never thought about it but is it purely the power required that makes 5 USB needed? Could you use a splitter of a single USB C for instance to save using loads of USB ports?

Just that I see some the B350 boards have USB C and so again I am just thinking about cables and requirement for ports where we just used to it but are they really needed if we thought more about how we are connecting things up?

Soldato
Not the worst choice, I got my 1700 with a prime x370 pro up and running today and have it running solid as a rock at 3.9 with 3k memory using DCOP profile overclocking method, was quick and easy. (0504 BIOS ofc)

It was my original choice but unavailable last week.

Only hesitant because of issues I and others have had with these Asus Am4 boards.

Associate
TBF,if the leaked price of the 4C and 4C/8T ones is correct and SMT can get better scaling in games,I think fighting against a Core i3 and locked Core i5 CPUs,will actually be helpful for AMD.

Yep. I can't see how the other chips are suddenly going to be able to clock well above 4ghz. It used to be that i5s were the best overclockers and you traded a little clock speed for hyperthreading with i7s, but that isn't the case anymore. If the R5 chips are capable of matching Intel i5 chips in gaming and then spanner them all over the place in everything else then it's going to be a solid win for AMD.

I think that deep down that has always been what AMD have targeted.

Back
Top Bottom