• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
So, the fact that AMD's frame generation disables itself with fast camera motions I do not like at all, as can be seen here:

As you'd expect, the FPS drops quite a lot, down to ~50 when the camera is in motion. This seems like the worst part of how the tech is currently being implemented.

That must be the reason why they recommend games to already run at a minimum of 70 FPS.

This is for the preview AFMF driver feature, not FSR3 FG. In Forspoken FSR3 there is no drop is frame rate even if you move the mouse around wildly. The AFMF frame gen does not have access to motion vectors which is why it disables FG during rapid input movements.

Last edited:
Soldato
FMF is not FG which is not FSR. The fact they have different initialisations is the clue. FMF is a driver level thing to help improve FPS and works on 7x00 range of GPUs. It is separate to and should not be be confused with FSR3 FG which requires a game by game implementation. It is also an early tech preview and will be improved, so the idea that it should be judged as inferior to Nvidia FG seems based on a flawed understanding of that it actually does.

I have no interest in FG from Nvidia or AMD but at least I spent time understanding some of the underlying premise.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yep, I like this guy as techy youtubers go. He's very thorough and explains things really well (he's a full time maths teacher!)
Kinda adds up tbh.

I like what I have seen first hand of FSR 3 so far. In an AMD sponsored game it has turned a weak-ass 70-80fps into a very smooth 175fps. The RTSS frametime graph shows a lot of jittering even on RDNA cards, so that needs to be fixed, but the visual smoothness is basically perfect as far as I can tell as there is no jittering to be seen in motion regardless of what the frametime graph shows.

Finally, we have a situation where FG tech from Nvidia works well where it needs to, and for AMD sponsored games, FSR 3 FG now works well for all cards that can maintain a good baseline fps before FG is enabled.

FG is mostly pointless for cards that can't maintain a 60fps+ baseline though, the input latency or motion panning smoothness of the mouse is affected and the more higher refresh rate you go with a monitor and mouse combo, the more obvious it becomes.

So I guess we are at a stage whereby the technology that WAS designed to improve a game's framerate experience when a card is not capable of hitting 60fps, is still affected leaving the low to mid tier range in a position where they simply have to put up with increased input latency regardless of whether smooth motion/reflex/hyperRX or whatever is on or off, purely based on the fact that the baseline fps is not good enough.

So it's a technology feature for the high end cards only to truly benefit from :S

Last edited:
Associate
Kinda adds up tbh.

I like what I have seen first hand of FSR 3 so far. In an AMD sponsored game it has turned a weak-ass 70-80fps into a very smooth 175fps. The RTSS frametime graph shows a lot of jittering even on RDNA cards, so that needs to be fixed, but the visual smoothness is basically perfect as far as I can tell as there is no jittering to be seen in motion regardless of what the frametime graph shows.

Finally, we have a situation where FG tech from Nvidia works well where it needs to, and for AMD sponsored games, FSR 3 FG now works well for all cards that can maintain a good baseline fps before FG is enabled.

FG is mostly pointless for cards that can't maintain a 60fps+ baseline though, the input latency or motion panning smoothness of the mouse is affected and the more higher refresh rate you go with a monitor and mouse combo, the more obvious it becomes.

So I guess we are at a stage whereby the technology that WAS designed to improve a game's framerate experience when a card is not capable of hitting 60fps, is still affected leaving the low to mid tier range in a position where they simply have to put up with increased input latency regardless of whether smooth motion/reflex/hyperRX or whatever is on or off, purely based on the fact that the baseline fps is not good enough.

So it's a technology feature for the high end cards only to truly benefit from :S
Like they say in Italy, it always rains where it's already wet.
As node shrinks are getting well into diminishing return lands, all we get now are companies doing their latest tricks:

• Wow
Reactions: mrk
Soldato
This is for the preview AFMF driver feature, not FSR3 FG. In Forspoken there is no drop is frame rate even if you move the mouse around wildly. The AFMF frame gen does not access to motion vectors which is why it disables FG during rapid input movements.
Indeed, I did not mention FSR3.

For the record, I've tried AFMF on the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk, sometimes it works very well, watching it double average framerate is impressive. But it needs to be toggled off and on after each level load to work properly.

I think AMD will fix these problems. I think the full release for this driver is due in a few months.

I would like an option to prevent AFMF from disabling itself during fast camera movements, especially if this is the way it is designed to function.

I have the Forsaken demo installed, I imagine FSR3 should show much more consistent results from FSR3 than AFMF.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm getting a bit tired of all the Nvidia shilling on websites like Wccftech, especially for next gen cards e.g rtx 5000 series. When so few have /or can afford the top two Nvidia graphis cards from the RTX 4000 series.

It's predictable now that the 5000 series will cost just as much as the RTX4000 series (or even more), particularly as Nvidia's CEO was already complaining about die costs with the current gen. People don't build/upgrade their whole PC now, they just save to buy a GPU upgrade for the same cost...

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm getting a bit tired of all the Nvidia shilling on websites like Wccftech, especially for next gen cards e.g rtx 5000 series. When so few have /or can afford the top two Nvidia graphis cards from hw RTX 4000 series.

It's predictable now that the 5000 series will cost just as much as the RTX4000 series (or even more), particularly as Nvidia's CEO was already complaining about die costs with the current gen. People don't build/upgrade their whole PC now, they just save to buy a GPU upgrade for the same cost...

The 5090 will probably have a little door on the back of it to install your pc inside it

Associate
I'm getting a bit tired of all the Nvidia shilling on websites like Wccftech, especially for next gen cards e.g rtx 5000 series. When so few have /or can afford the top two Nvidia graphis cards from hw RTX 4000 series.

Maybe Intel can provide some competition to lower the prices.

Associate

Looks like there is an issue with AMD frame generation in Forspoken and it works better in Immortals of Avenum.
For me in Forsaken on RTX 4090 it worked fine once framerate reached my monitors refresh rate.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
Surprised none of the big tech tubers have covered FSR3/FMF so far, if it was a new Nvidia tech they’d have been all over it on day one.

Caporegime
Surprised none of the big tech tubers have covered FSR3/FMF so far, if it was a new Nvidia tech they’d have been all over it on day one.

Think it had more to do with how amd released it, it seemed to be a surprise to all the tech sites so they're now scrambling to do their videos on it. Vs them being briefed and told a release date and given access to have videos up on release day.

Last edited:
Soldato
Cos Nvidia would have sent them early drivers etc so they could put something together
AMD didn't because AMD are not very good at marketing

Or maybe they are learning not to give Nvidia enough time to setup a disruptive “why FSR sucks” campaign with some of their all too willing pro Nvidia tech sites.

Last edited:
Soldato
Or maybe they are learning not to give Nvidia enough time to setup a disruptive “why FSR sucks” campaign with some of their all too willing pro Nvidia tech sites.

6x3n6UY.jpg

Soldato

Lol, maybe a bit tinfoil hat indeed. Though we all know AMD marketing sucks and the corollary of that is NVidia’s marketing and influence far outstrips AMD.

I think they did the same with the 7800 XT release. We were all reading rumours of an MSRP of $650 but it released at $500. This made the release reviews very positive and forced Nvidia to a price drop.

I’m hopeful AMD are learning some new tricks.

Soldato
In a preview of Frostpunk 2 the developers seems to really likes FSR3, descripting it as easy to implement and that it brings details and clarity to the surface of the game.
That probably translates to having FSR3 will save us a tonne of money and time as we don’t have to bother to optimise properly.

Back
Top Bottom