• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Surprised none of the big tech tubers have covered FSR3/FMF so far, if it was a new Nvidia tech they’d have been all over it on day one.
It was released on a friday… AMD also didnt bother sending the tech tubers the driver in advance to do all the testing thoroughly. Also plenty of other issues that make testing/measuring harder by not ‘working’ as intended. Plus having to test with all kinds of setups / VRR etcetc.

There’s plenty of wannabes that got videos out going by ‘looks smooth bestest ever!!!’.

I’m guessing we’ll see some decent videos on the tech midweek, friday the latest.

That probably translates to having FSR3 will save us a tonne of money and time as we don’t have to bother to optimise properly.
Well, if people use hardware below console spec (PS5/Series X), there comes a point where it's just not worth optimising for.

You just end up with an inferior product, because the overall visual quality and features have had to be reduced to cater for CPU and GPU architecture that is several generations old. If you limit your design to what most PC hardware can handle, this could put constraints on your design for the game (think of the processing power requirements for AI, logic, physics, number of units (for an RTS)). It's not always possible to just turn settings down.

So, on the basis of delivering console like or better performance, I think PC gamers / system builders should aim for a RX 7700 XT or RX 6800 (or better), as both of these cards have a greater amount of CUs than the Series X GPU.

Cards like the RX 7600 are really just entry level, they will become obsolete very quickly.

Last edited:
Optimizing should be: Increasing performance by fixing inefficient code and game design that does not have any visual impact at all

Actually Reality when game developers say they are "optimizing": Reducing the visual quality of the game to achieve the desired performance level

Well, if people use hardware below console spec (PS5/Series X), there comes a point where it's just not worth optimising for.

You just end up with an inferior product, because the overall visual quality and features have had to be reduced to cater for CPU and GPU architecture that is several generations old. If you limit your design to what most PC hardware can handle, this could put constraints on your design for the game (think of the processing power requirements for AI, logic, physics, number of units (for an RTS)). It's not always possible to just turn settings down.

So, on the basis of delivering console like or better performance, I think PC gamers / system builders should aim for a RX 7700 XT or RX 6800 (or better), as both of these cards have a greater amount of CUs than the Series X GPU.

Cards like the RX 7600 are really just entry level, they will become obsolete very quickly.
Most gamers have cards below the spec of the ps5/seriesX/7600 though which is mainly down to stagnation and the low end which has been going on for a few years now.

I think there's generally a desire (that developers have) for sequels and new games to keep improving on what came before also (in terms of the design, and technology).

But, I think PC gamers are still looking at spending £400-£430 to beat the GPU in the Series X (e.g. for a RX 6800).

I'm fairly sure the price on the RX 7700 XT will come down to a similar level, so more people will be able to afford decent GPU performance.

EDIT - The cheapest RX 7700 XT I've found is selling for ~£416 on one website, I think these are going to fall in price somewhat.

Last edited:
Most gamers have cards below the spec of the ps5/seriesX/7600 though which is mainly down to stagnation and the low end which has been going on for a few years now.

That's because PC is more accessible

You look at console sales and while they look ok, for a closed platform it is ok but it's dwarfed mobile and PCs and why is that.

Because entry point, the floor, is so low. If GPUs weaker than a PS5 didn't exist then you'd be looking at 10s of millions of PC users who would not be able to play games because they cannot afford a console or the console is not sold, remember game consoles are also not sold in every country but almost every country has access to PC parts even if it's only bottom of the barrel parts they can afford, it's the difference between playing counter strike 2 at 1080p 60fps low settings or not playing video games at all, period

It's probably better to compare the average home PC to the average mobile phone; we know a the average PC is quite weak and I bet the average phone is quite weak as well but if you don't supply that tier you miss out on those customers.

And maybe it's ok not to supply the ultra low end, it works for Apple, Sony and Microsoft. Funny metric - as console prices have been going up, game attachment rates on consoles have gone up too, it's almost like people who can spend more on hardware buy more games too! So should we be appealing to gtx1060 owners, are they even going to buy games?

Last edited:
It should have had a preview launch alongside a new game where they could really show it off.

I'm not convinced it's bad just because it's being "launched" this way, AMD have a track record of not maximising the marketing of products.

Last edited:
In a preview of Frostpunk 2 the developers seems to really likes FSR3, descripting it as easy to implement and that it brings details and clarity to the surface of the game.

The dev didn't really talk about frame gen but just the improvement in detail. Sadly AMD's naming of the FSR tech is confusing to most people. The actual upscaler is still at FSR 2.2 level unless AMD has silently improved some things. After playing Forspoken I still think the upscaler needs some work to get it to DLSS/XeSS evel.

Needs more testing on a range of hardware.

Reviews for FSR3 are late because AMD refused to give early access to media
They do sound a bit negative (Don't like to crunch I guess). Why should reviewers be given early access when the technology has only just been developed, and still needs months more work (especially AFMF).

Personally, I don't mind waiting.

Last edited:
So, this is the most useful AMD slide on FSR3 in my opinion, because it shows the effect of FSR3 frame generation in isolation from upscaling (e.g. FSR2):

large

From here:
https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/amd-fsr-3-now-available/ba-p/634265

But the issue is that they don't show an improvement in minimum frame rate or 1% lows.

I'll check myself later.

Last edited:
The best way to run this it seems is in "native AA mode" that way there no up scaling, just frame gen, you more or less double your frame rates at native image quality.

Interesting that AMD call it "native AA" given that all up scaling tech is based off TAA.

Last edited:
Typical AMD. They never seem to learn. You would think this would be plastered everywhere and people all excited and talking about it. Barely anyone even knows it's out.

Why not make the effort and release it with a huge sponsored title like Starfield? Who gives a crap about Forspoken or the other crappy ea game?

It's Bethesda, if they didn't have the time frame to add DLSS, they wouldn't have time to co develop FSR 3 with AMD either.

The question is what comes as a priority for Starfield, DLSS2* support/DLSS3 or FSR3 support.

Back
Top Bottom