• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Soldato
With NV set to deault (let spp decide) vsync settings in game (Forspoken demo) set to Off it tears horrendously at ~80fps with FG on. With in game set to On the tearing is gone but the juddering is really bad and only rectifies if get the frame rate up to refresh rate.
My LG OLED overlay shows 118 ish Hz at all times when FG is on in the game.

However forcing vsync on in NV cpl fixes the judder and I don't see any tearing neither. So thanks for that :)

(OLED still shows 118ish btw)

Right, good to have more info. It seems like Vsync on in the NV control panel and off in the game is the way to go.

Like I said this is how I've had my rig for years and years since my first Gsync Rog Swift monitor - The golden rules for VRR was and still is as far as I know (for Nvidia users):

1. Set Vsync on in the global settings of the NV control panel
2. Set Vsync off in the game itself
3. If you are hitting your monitors max refresh rate all the time, use a frame limiter like RTSS set to 3 frames under your refresh to help a bit with latency

This is what I've done for years, and I'm obsessed with stutter and eliminating frame pacing issues in games by the way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@wunkley

I'm just going based on credible sources like Daniel Owen so unless something has changed or his testing is wrong/not setup correctly, afaik, those 3 points still are accurate? There does seem to be some confusion/conflicting info on the driver forced injection method and official FSR 3 support so yeah maybe there is some very particular setup you need to do to avoid all 3 issues.

When reading all the reports from just end users on launch day, it sounded very good but obviously that was with nothing to backup their statements hence why I'm waiting on Alex/DF now to confirm what is what.

May give forspoken demo a go on my end over the weekend but crap game so not sure I really want to waste the time :p

As for my gsync ultimate monitor, I have the same setup for gsync except I use NVP frame limiter, I find it works better for some games and also puts less load on the cpu:

But when/if using reflex then you shouldn't be using any frame limiter since reflex does this for you.

Last edited:
Soldato
@Nexus18

You have no reason to think I'm credible and I too rate that Dan Owen guy, but he's wrong on this one trust me. HDR categorically works with frame gen on, in this game. The VRR and Vsync issues - see the notes above. It seems like it could be the fact that Vsync needs to be on in the NVCP, and actually off in game, for this particular game anyway.

Yes Forspoken is a vile game, I'm using the demo literally as an FSR 3 Frame Gen test bed. I have to turn the sound off so I can't hear her ****** annoying quips.

Reflex - aye obviously, though I often turn reflex off as I have found it can bizarrely cause frame pacing issues in some games.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Nexus18

You have no reason to think I'm credible and I too rate that Dan Owen guy, but he's wrong on this one trust me. HDR categorically works with frame gen on, in this game. The VRR and Vsync issues - see the notes above. It seems like it could be the fact that Vsync needs to be on in the NVCP, and actually off in game, for this particular game anyway.

Yes Forspoken is a vile game, I'm using the demo literally as an FSR 3 Frame Gen test bed. I have to turn the sound off so I can't hear her ****** annoying quips.

Reflex - aye obviously, though I often turn reflex off as I have found it can bizarrely cause frame pacing issues in some games.

Not doubting you but one only posts evidence to prove his experience ;) :p I've downloaded myself there to test quickly and can confirm, HDR appears to work fine, however, the judder is there (which is shown in my frame latency and noticeable too) and/or vrr does not work to smooth it out. Uploading video (this is using my setup above)

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Caporegime
@Nexus18

Videos here and in NVCP, vsync is turned on, fps cap, tried with it on/off, no difference.

So based on my testing:

- HDR does work with the official FSR 3 integration (so perhaps its the driver injection where hdr doesn't work? Obviously I can't try myself)

- frame pacing is very poor or/and vrr doesn't work when your fps is NOT hitting the fps cap, which made the game feel choppy/stuttery. I cba going to the effort of disabling gsync etc. will do that another time

When lowering settings to achieve the locked 120 fps, it was much smoother in my experience and you can see the frame latency also improved too i.e. so vsync is kicking in to smooth out the frames when you are hitting your fps cap?

I will say, input latency was very good (using m+ k) in both scenarios though!

Caporegime
Caporegime
But you can't put it past them, having fsr3 run better on Nvidia than it does on AMD would be such an AMD thing to do you have to admit lol
there haven't been any native G-Sync monitors for years, what some of these useful idiots think are nave G-Sync monitors are just VRR monitors with nvidia branding all over them.

Associate
there haven't been any native G-Sync monitors for years, what some of these useful idiots think are nave G-Sync monitors are just VRR monitors with nvidia branding all over them.
Doesn't the Dell QD-OLED ultrawide have a G-sync module, hence the later version that was Freesync/G-sync compatible only (DWF)?

Last edited:
Soldato

You're incorrect. I have a 4 month old monitor with a native Gsync ultimate module in it and it's a monitor that launched a year ago, or less than a year actually

And this isn't the only one. Asus has launched recent monitors that are native Gsync too so I have no idea why you think there hasn't been any in years

Last edited:
Caporegime
Another completely and utterly wrong statement by hum, honestly just convinced at this stage, now baiting/trolling when he makes comments like that, if not, then really should start posting some content to back up such ridiculous statements.

As posted above, gsync module still is about, it is generally reserved for the extreme high end monitors and unless you can debunk arguably one of the best monitor reviewers, there are still differences between adaptive sync and gsync module:

Caporegime
Another completely and utterly wrong statement by hum, honestly just convinced at this stage, now baiting/trolling when he makes comments like that, if not, then really should start posting some content to back up such ridiculous statements.

Yeah, not just that either, he barely seems to be able to make a post these days without throwing some kind of insult in.

Good to see FSR 3 is working with HDR anyway, hopefully it doesn't take long to address the VRR issues.

Caporegime
Also whilst not really relevant for the thread but just on the above discussion, here's a good explanation on the main advantage of the gsync module:

Caporegime
You're incorrect. I have a 4 month old monitor with a native Gsync ultimate module in it and it's a monitor that launched a year ago, or less than a year actually

And this isn't the only one. Asus has launched recent monitors that are native Gsync too so I have no idea why you think there hasn't been any in years
because there are only a few on sale

ps: what monitor is it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom