• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

Associate
But this is how it supposed to work and how Nvidia FG works.
Current implementation of AMD FG works even worse.
Well yes and that's why both Nvidia/AMD have the anti lag stuff working alongside and possibly why FSR FG will be a terrible experience on Nvidia GPUs.

Will see when testing if there's any indication of what the plan is for next versions

Caporegime
Matt advised it was him who posted in 'ere somewhere about the terms but HUB have a video where they highlight the notable parts in the terms and also a way out of them.
Timestamped the relevant part:

So presumably for Bethesda to add it they will need to get permission from Nvidia to do so without branding etc.
Thanks. Will watch it later.

So as per my OP on the subject, I can't see this causing a huge delay from a licensing pov, not exactly a big deal to add Nvidia on a splash screen or to credits (especially when Nvidia appear to have partnered up with bethsada and Microsoft to bring starfield to geforce now) and if there was an issue having their logo somewhere, well then maybe amd are more involved than what they have led people on to believe and tbh, I wouldn't be surprised given their stance on streamline and Nvidia in general.

Soldato
If you can link me something from nvidias dlss terms and conditions that would cause a delay in the implementation of dlss *snipped useless rambling*
Except that wasn't my argument. My argument was that something is required by Nvidia which you've now acknowledged, is true.

Matt advised it was him who posted in 'ere somewhere about the terms but HUB have a video where they highlight the notable parts in the terms and also a way out of them.
Timestamped the relevant part:

So presumably for Bethesda to add it they will need to get permission from Nvidia to do so without branding etc.
Everything after 18 mins 20 sec, is speculation not gospel. The only part of interest, which was already mentioned when this came up previously, is devs can discuss the license with Nvidia. We don't know what happens in those discussions. Everyone seems to think that Nvidia will be angels in these discussions and are going to rollover to whatever the devs demand. Because history proves that Nvidia always rolls over.

Soldato
Why are none of the big gaming channels covering FSR 3 frame gen or fluid motion frames!? It's genuinely top competition to Nvidia and it's being ignored. Absolutely bizarre.

Last edited:
Associate
Why are none of the big gaming channels covering FSR 3 frame gen or fluid motion frames!? It's genuinely top competition to Nvidia and it's being ignored. Absolutely bizarre.
Reviewers didn't get it before general public so didn't have time to test it properly and make videos about it, HU will be releasing video tomorrow.

Soldato

Multiple reasons but the main reason is AMD refused to give early access to Media

The big channels put a lot of production value into their videos and it can take several days to make a new video, so when AMD only gives the media acccess the same day as the consumer the media cannot release a day one video.

Why is this a problem? Day one videos make bank, consumers are only interested in getting information first. If you release a video a week or two later that video is going to get a lot less views and not make much money. So the channnels have to weigh up making a video that won't make money on a topic that everyone already knows the answer to or work on actual new content that will get more views.

Secondly the games that support fsr3 are pretty crap and no one really wants to test them, but the lack of videos is mainly the first point.

You might still see one or two videos from the large channels on fsr3 but don't be surprised if it's not soon, because they could not release a day one video, fsr3 is now low on their priority list

AMD marketing fumbled the bag like always

Last edited:
Soldato
Still software upscale, still trash.

You see you're off the mark there. FSR 3 frame gen is genuinely interesting and from what I've seen is comparable to DLSS frame gen. FSR upscaling is not as good as DLSS upscaling, but it's not that far behind. Frame gen and upscaling are 2 very different things and seem to be getting conflated by the punters.

Last edited:
Soldato
Multiple reasons but the main reason is AMD refused to give early access to Media

The big channels put a lot of production value into their videos and it can take several days to make a new video, so when AMD only gives the media acccess the same day as the consumer the media cannot release a day one video.

Why is this a problem? Day one videos make bank, consumers are only interested in getting information first. If you release a video a week or two later that video is going to get a lot less views and not make much money. So the channnels have to weigh up making a video that won't make money on a topic that everyone already knows the answer to or work on actual new content that will get more views.

Secondly the games that support fsr3 are pretty crap and no one really wants to test them, but the lack of videos is mainly the first point.

You might still see one or two videos from the large channels on fsr3 but don't be surprised if it's not soon, because they could not release a day one video, fsr3 is now low on their priority list

AMD marketing fumbled the bag like always

AMD's marketing team needs to be replaced immediately but the fact that VRR does not seem to work for most people is a major blunder which has done more harm than good. Most of the amateur reviewers are testing with Vsync disabled which in turn makers the gameplay choppy and puts FSR3 in a bad light. What a shambles.

Caporegime
Except that wasn't my argument. My argument was that something is required by Nvidia which you've now acknowledged, is true.

Everything after 18 mins 20 sec, is speculation not gospel. The only part of interest, which was already mentioned when this came up previously, is devs can discuss the license with Nvidia. We don't know what happens in those discussions. Everyone seems to think that Nvidia will be angels in these discussions and are going to rollover to whatever the devs demand. Because history proves that Nvidia always rolls over.
"Useless rambling" :rolleyes: Context is pretty important but clearly not for you.

Re-read the post I was responding too and then read my op again, if you can't grasp the points I made, that's your problem, not mine.

Either way, as proven there is nothing to stop Bethesda from implementing dlss just as quickly as the modders unless crediting Nvidia is such a hardship despite them clearly already being partnered together to bring the game to nvidias "technology" of geforce now...

There is no need to guess what happens in those discussions, you have the terms and conditions right there to take a magnifying glass to since you obviously appear to feel so strongly about it and the only time you would need to have meetings over the use of said technology is if said party wanting to use nvidia tech do not agree to the terms and conditions and wish to get an exception.

Caporegime
You see you're off the mark there. FSR 3 frame gen is genuinely interesting and from what I've seen is comparable to DLSS frame gen. FSR upscaling is not as good as DLSS upscaling, but it's not that far behind. Frame gen and upscaling are 2 very different things and seem to be getting conflated by the punters.
It's actually pretty poor after seeing some proper testing.

- no vrr
- no hdr
- you need to use vsync i.e. be hitting your screen refresh rate to get a smooth experience and then this means high latency or if you aren't getting your screen refresh rate, it's stuttery

This won't be an issue if amd can resolve these issues quickly but as we all know, this isn't amds strong point, sorry I forget "fine wine" :p

Caporegime
This won't be an issue if amd can resolve these issues quickly but as we all know, this isn't amds strong point, sorry I forget "fine wine" :p

qvlPtNm.gif

Soldato
"Useless rambling" :rolleyes: Context is pretty important but clearly not for you.
Oh sorry you’re right my descriptor wasn’t accurate. It should have been useless rambling and snide remarks. Considering stanners warning I didn’t think I needed to mention or address it.

As for the rest of your post
Either way, as proven there is nothing to stop Bethesda from implementing dlss just as quickly as the modders unless crediting Nvidia is such a hardship despite them clearly already being partnered together to bring the game to nvidias "technology" of geforce now...
so GeForce now has the same licensing agreement as DLSS? Or is this just a pointless example that you’ve brought up?

**snipped the troll bait/snide remark** the only time you would need to have meetings over the use of said technology is if said party wanting to use nvidia tech do not agree to the terms and conditions and wish to get an exception.
Thanks I watched the video as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's actually pretty poor after seeing some proper testing.

- no vrr
- no hdr
- you need to use vsync i.e. be hitting your screen refresh rate to get a smooth experience and then this means high latency or if you aren't getting your screen refresh rate, it's stuttery

Not picking on you specifically here Nexus :) , but you've highlighted some specific issues and they need correcting as they are just plain wrong....

This shows the fact that there is misinformation out there about FSR 3 and people are confusing and conflating frame gen and fluid motion frames. They are different technologies. I also don't understand why AMD haven't marketed all this much better, or given more advance previews to the big reviewers (where the **** is Digital Foundry's full take on this? Very poor show.)

I should also preface this by saying I'm by no means an AMD fanboy - I haven't owned an AMD GPU for over 15 years, and I've never had an AMD CPU, always intel. Anyway....

(My pertinent PC specs: i7 11700, Nvidia 3090FE, Gigabyte FO48U 48" OLED monitor with VRR - Freesync Premium and Gsync Compatible)

FOR FSR 3 FRAME GENERATION

The only game I've tested myself is the free demo of Forspoken. No way I'm buying that or the only other supported piece of *****, Immortals of whatever it is.

- VRR:
It categorically does work in Forspoken with Frame Gen on. I've tested with my monitor's VRR on vs disabled and with it disabled it's incredibly choppy and clearly VRR is not active. With VRR active and FSR 3 Frame Gen on it's nice and smooth with decent frame pacing.

My settings are how I always have them for running any game with VRR i.e.
1. Vsync is set on in the Nvidia Control panel
2. Vsync is set off in the game
3. Game display settings are set to 120hz and fullscreen

This goes against AMD's own advice which I believe says you should have Vsync on in the game. I've also seen youtube vids from Daniel Owen who does good stuff, but he also seems to be wrong on this, or it's down to hardware differences.

- HDR:
It categorically does work in Forspoken with Frame Gen on. Like most games HDR needs to be on in Windows before you launch the game. You can tell it's definitely on and registered by the game as the in game brightness setting mentions HDR when it's active. With HDR off in Windows the in game brightness setting does not mention HDR.

- VSYNC:
See my notes above ( I have my system how I always do for VRR gaming i.e. Vsync on in Nvidia control pane;, Vsync off in actual games, and it's all fine in Forspoken like this.)

So there seems to be major misinformation out there about FSR 3 Frame Gen. I suggest people try it all out for themselves, the Forspoken demo is free after all.

FOR FLUID MOTION FRAMES

I haven't tested anything myself as I don't have a 7000 series AMD card, which is the only hardware this specific tech runs on.

Last edited:
Associate
Not picking on you specifically here Nexus :) , but you've highlighted some specific issues and they need correcting as they are just plain wrong....

This shows the fact that there is misinformation out there about FSR 3 and people are confusing and conflating frame gen and fluid motion frames. They are different technologies. I also don't understand why AMD haven't marketed all this much better, or given more advance previews to the big reviewers (where the **** is Digital Foundry's full take on this? Very poor show.)

I should also preface this by saying I'm by no means an AMD fanboy - I haven't owned an AMD GPU for over 15 years, and I've never had an AMD CPU, always intel. Anyway....

(My pertinent PC specs: i7 11700, Nvidia 3090FE, Gigabyte FO48U 48" OLED monitor with VRR - Freesync Premium and Gsync Compatible)

FOR FSR 3 FRAME GENERATION

The only game I've tested myself is the free demo of Forspoken. No way I'm buying that or the only other supported piece of *****, Immortals of whatever it is.

- VRR:
It categorically does work in Forspoken with Frame Gen on. I've tested with my monitor's VRR on vs disabled and with it disabled it's incredibly choppy and clearly VRR is not active. With VRR active and FSR 3 Frame Gen on it's nice and smooth with decent frame pacing.
My settings are how I always have them for running any game with VRR i.e. Vsync is set on in the Nvidia Control panel, and Vsync is set off in the game. Game display settings are set to 120hz and fullscreen.
This goes against AMD's own advice which I believe says you should have Vsync on in the game. I've also seen youtube vids from Daniel Owen who does good stuff, but he also seems to be wrong on this, or it's down to hardware differences.

- HDR:
It categorically does work in Forspoken with Frame Gen on. Like most games HDR needs to be on in Windows before you launch the game. You can tell it's definitely on and registered by the game as the in game brightness setting mentions HDR when it's active. With HDR off in Windows the in game brightness setting does not mention HDR.

- VSYNC:
See my notes above ( I have my system how I always do for VRR gaming i.e. Vsync on in Nvidia control pane;, Vsync off in actual games, and it's all fine in Forspoken like this.)

So there seems to be major misinformation out there about FSR 3 Frame Gen. I suggest people try it all out for themselves, the Forspoken demo is free after all.

FOR FLUID MOTION FRAMES

I haven't tested anything myself as I don't have a 7000 series AMD card, which is the only hardware this specific tech runs on.
Can you prove that VRR works for you by recording a video while your monitor displays frequency number.?
Because no one who claims VRR works for them did that so far. For me it doesn’t work on 2 machines.

Soldato

- VRR:
My settings are how I always have them for running any game with VRR i.e. Vsync is set on in the Nvidia Control panel, and Vsync is set off in the game. Game display settings are set to 120hz and fullscreen.

With NV set to deault (let spp decide) vsync settings in game (Forspoken demo) set to Off it tears horrendously at ~80fps with FG on. With in game set to On the tearing is gone but the juddering is really bad and only rectifies if get the frame rate up to refresh rate.
My LG OLED overlay shows 118 ish Hz at all times when FG is on in the game.

However forcing vsync on in NV cpl fixes the judder and I don't see any tearing neither. So thanks for that :)

(OLED still shows 118ish btw)

Edit: I should add that the input latency is pretty bad on mouse though at 80fps with FG though :p Fine on controller...

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you prove that VRR works for you by recording a video while your monitor displays frequency number.?
Because no one who claims VRR works for them did that so far. For me it doesn’t work on 2 machines.

Can't do a vid like that unfortunately as

a) My monitor doesn't have a decent OSD for frequency
b) Recording a video whether in game capture or of the screen itself externally is of little use for demonstrating VRR
c) I can't be arsed :D

It's interesting that there seems to be this variance going on with VRR for people. I must say when I first tried the demo I was getting bad choppiness with frame gen on as if VRR wasn't active, but once I made sure of my settings as described, it does seem and feels like it's working on my rig...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom