• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD's FSR3 possibly next month ?

So with AFMF available for RDNA 2 too now, is anyone using it for anything they're actually playing - not just testing?
I've tried it two games..
Starfield (even though it's not needed)
Seemed to work well, I had FSR on, vsync with Anti lag + etc
Frames where ridiculous, around 220fps with everything maxed,.ultra, no motion blur, no DOF, no VRS.

Just tried on it Cyberpunk, ultra everything, ultra Ray tracing etc, FSR quality.
Plays great to my eyes, looks fantastic, avg around 120fps (feels more like 70+)
Did try it with path tracing on also and felt fine.

I'm not sure yet about frame generation.

I was hoping for something that would increase minimum framerates and 1% lows.

I tried FSR3 in the Forspoken demo with upscaling at quality (desktop res = 4K) with frame gen on and off - I also manually disabled ray tracing options.

1% lows kept dropping down below 60 with frame gen enabled (lots of microstutter also apparently), with no frame rate drops below 60 with frame gen off.

So, I don't know if it's helpful or not - especially since my monitor runs @ 60hz (freesync has a higher range I think). I can sort of see the point with high refresh rate monitors, but personally I'm happy with 60 hz.

I also question the logic of calling it 'FSR3' (e.g FidelityFX Super Resolution), when it does something very different to FSR2.

Last edited:
Frames where ridiculous, around 220fps with everything maxed,.ultra, no motion blur, no DOF, no VRS.

Just tried on it Cyberpunk, ultra everything, ultra Ray tracing etc, FSR quality.
Plays great to my eyes, looks fantastic, avg around 120fps (feels more like 70+)
are you using a 6000 or 7000 series card? just wondering about antilag+ and the 6000 series as i think without this FMF feels like a bit of a non-starter, correct me if i'm wrong

I'm not sure yet about frame generation.

I was hoping for something that would increase minimum framerates and 1% lows.

I tried FSR3 in the Forspoken demo with upscaling at quality (desktop res = 4K) with frame gen on and off - I also manually disabled ray tracing options.

1% lows kept dropping down below 60 with frame gen enabled (lots of microstutter also apparently), with no frame rate drops below 60 with frame gen off.

So, I don't know if it's helpful or not - especially since my monitor runs @ 60hz (freesync has a higher range I think). I can sort of see the point with high refresh rate monitors, but personally I'm happy with 60 hz.

I also question the logic of calling it 'FSR3' (e.g FidelityFX Super Resolution), when it does something very different to FSR2.

Oh yeah frame generation is only useable on high refresh rate monitors 120hz and up.
If you are below that there is no point using it as you will get massive input lag and visible artifacting.

Doesn't make sense, as you will still see framerate drops below 60 (regardless of monitor refresh rate), in games like Forspoken (worse than with framegen off).

I didn't notice issues with input lag or artifacting, just generally more framerate spikes with FSR3 frame generation enabled.

In a Ancient Gameplays video, he doesn't appear to be having the framerate spikes I've seen, with frame generation enabled:

I'll see if I can figure out why.

He seems to get the best results (in terms of frame times) by locking frame rate, with antilag off.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense, as you will still see framerate drops below 60 (regardless of monitor refresh rate), in games like Forspoken (worse than with framegen off).

I didn't notice issues with input lag or artifacting, just generally more framerate spikes with FSR3 frame generation enabled.

In a Ancient Gameplays video, he doesn't appear to be having the framerate spikes I've seen, with frame generation enabled:

I'll see if I can figure out why.

He seems to get the best results (in terms of frame times) by locking frame rate, with antilag off.
FSR frame generation requires vsync and the in game one (Forspoken) seems to be broken so you need to enable it in your AMD control panel.
This means that you will be locked to 60fps of which 30 will be real frames and 30 generated if your monitor is 60hz.
While it will be smooth you will get massive input lag and lots of artifacting.

Last edited:

How do you enable it FMF? In Adrenalin?

I got round to testing the Forspoken Demo again with frame generation enabled.

It's working much better now.

I set it to a max of 70 FPS (in Rivatuner), and the 1% lows are reporting as 69 FPS.

I think it works better in borderless windowed mode, rather than fullscreen.

You need to lock the FPS a bit below what your GPU can actually handle, or the framerate seems to go all over the place. You can use AMD's metrics overlay to show key things like frame gen lag, and the GPU utilization.

I've left Vsync off for now, but ill see if that's needed. I suspect it's not a good idea if your monitor is 60 Hz like mine, with frame generation enabled.

EDIT - as someone pointed out, the in game Forspoken vsync appears to be broken, and messes up framerate.

I'm playing on Native AA mode (4K resolution) and it's playing comfortably. It's quite impressive and looks pretty sharp (compared to FSR2 / upscaling in general). It feels a little laggy perhaps, hard to measure because the frame gen lag isn't being reported in game.

Last edited:
I got round to testing the Forspoken Demo again with frame generation enabled.

It's working much better now.

I set it to a max of 70 FPS (in Rivatuner), and the 1% lows are reporting as 69 FPS.

I think it works better in borderless windowed mode, rather than fullscreen.

You need to lock the FPS a bit below what your GPU can actually handle, or the framerate seems to go all over the place. You can use AMD's metrics overlay to show key things like frame gen lag, and the GPU utilization.

I've left Vsync off for now, but ill see if that's needed. I suspect it's not a good idea if your monitor is 60 Hz like mine, with frame generation enabled.

EDIT - as someone pointed out, the in game Forspoken vsync appears to be broken, and messes up framerate.

I'm playing on Native AA mode (4K resolution) and it's playing comfortably. It's quite impressive and looks pretty sharp (compared to FSR2 / upscaling in general). It feels a little laggy perhaps, hard to measure because the frame gen lag isn't being reported in game.

I tried it again today and for some reason it feels smoother than I remember it to be. Vsync ON in Nvidia control panel, Frame limit set to 164 in Rivatuner. I turned it on and off and can definitely feel that it's smoother at the 130fps generated frames than the standard 80fps without FG. When checking VRR with my monitor's frequency OSD, the VRR works as expected when FG is off but immediately shows 165Hz with fluctuations to 130Hz or less when FG is ON. With Freesync Pro off it feels juddery so it looks like VRR is sort of working but not perfectly.
I suspect the devs released some stealth update without anyone knowing.

Last edited:
are you using a 6000 or 7000 series card? just wondering about antilag+ and the 6000 series as i think without this FMF feels like a bit of a non-starter, correct me if i'm wrong
7900XTX bud, basically all I've done is download the preview drivers.
Enable FMF, enable Anti lag and Anti lag +, FSR quality and just play.
Starfield really doesn't need it, I avg well over 130fps on ultra @1440p in that anyway, but it was only to test.
Cyberpunk is a difference story if you want to use Ray Tracing.

At 1440p, no upscaling, ultra settings, RT Ultra, minus CA, DOF and motion blur.
Avg fps 40

Same settings with FSR quality enabled.
Avg fps 75

Same settings with FSR and FMF enabled.
Avg fps 125

I will say of course that it doesn't feel like 125fps, you can tell something is helping you, but it doesn't feel bad to play, certainly an option if you want RT on.

Tbh I've never really been bothered, of course it looks better with it, but CP looks great without it too, so I'll take the fps over the extra eye candy.

Last edited:
The latency isn't really a detriment to timing so long as its consistent. Of course, actual enjoyment of the controls is a different thing entirely but the higher latency isn't what will get you killed.

Source: me and the millions of others who have played multiplayer games with high ping

The game has terrible performance anyway including frame stuttering and lag, so how much worse can fsr3 really make it when it sucks that much already

Last edited:
What’s New?

We have added initial support for HDR to expand the AFMF gaming experience. After monitoring user experience feedback, AFMF can now be globally enabled on all DirectX® 11 and 12 titles. Users may use the per-app settings to individually disable or enable AFMF. Improvements to frame pacing have been made, resulting in an overall smoother gameplay experience and improved image quality. Additional game support for AMD Radeon™️ Anti-Lag+ MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Deep Rock Galactic Warhammer 40,000: Darktide Sniper Elite 5 Returnal™ Remnant II Spider-Man: Miles Morales Spider-Man Remastered PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS Call of Duty ®: Modern Warfare ® II Tiny Tina's Wonderland Hogwarts Legacy Resident Evil 3

Seems like I can at least give it a try now...

Not impressed in current form.

Wow that's bad

In slow down footage you can see the screen tearing and flicking between fake and real frames. Obviously in motion you probably don't see that it just comes across as a blurry image because 80% of the screen is blurry fake frames but it just looks really weird to have this 20% line in the screen with better graphics that's moves up all the time

HUB also says video captures don't necessarily pickup FMF fake frames so a lot of the FMF YouTube footage currently online is not accurate and the games look worse in person than you see on YouTube.

It's also sad that FMF has 30% higher input latency than FSR3 Frame Gen and the feature that disables FMF with fast mouse movement often doesn't work, FMF also has 52% higher input latency than just FSR3 without frame Gen

This driver based FMF feature makes FSR3 Frame Gen look godly, didn't think we'd say that but here we are. HUB in the end says FMF is pointless, the drawbacks of it defeat the entire purpose of using it in the first place, you are not getting lower input latency, you are not getting a smoother image, you are not reducing motion blur, you are not getting smoother frametimes, you're not getting a smoother feel - all you get is a higher number on your screen but everything else feels and looks worse and as such HUB you're better off not using FMF at all

Last edited:
Well, it's still a beta driver. I don't like the framerate dips when with FMF, when it gets disabled from moving the mouse quickly, I hope they can release a version without that feature.

I thought that the latest driver improved frame pacing? Don't know if it's improved significantly though.

For now, I think it's better for most people to try FSR3 in the few games that support it.

Last edited:
Does FMF work in all DX11/12 games now?

Latest driver notes say this:
"After monitoring user experience feedback, AFMF can now be globally enabled on all DirectX® 11 and 12 titles".

EDIT - It doesn't work in Age of Wonders 4, so it looks like not every game is supported. I think it just means there's an option to enable it within the graphics section of AMD's software, globally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom